Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:02 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Every time you make a statement, it's a judgment. Do you not realize that? You are making a judgment by stating that someone is a Christian. It goes both ways---it's not one-sided. We all make judgments every day.
I can only take someone at their word they are Christian. I take you at your word you are Christian. I do not need to agree with it.

You judged Rosie O'Donnel as a horrible person. I make no such judgement.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 08-29-2017 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Member is not who you are saying he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 09:07 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I can only take someone at their word they are Christian. I take you at your word you are Christian. I do not need to agree with it.
You judge people to be Christians because they say they are. That's judgement.

Quote:
You judged Rosie O'Donnel as a horrible person. I make no such judgement.
You may not make statements about Rosie, but you certainly have been known to make some horrible statements about men in general. Me, specifically. You judge every day.

But we're getting off-topic, and lest we incur wrath here, I won't be commenting again about you judging.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,404 times
Quote:
You judge people to be Christians because they say they are. That's judgement.

You may not make statements about Rosie, but you certainly have been known to make some horrible statements about men in general. Me, specifically. You judge every day.

But we're getting off-topic, and lest we incur wrath here, I won't be commenting again about you judging.

You? I guess you will have to point to my specific statements about you. You seem to think we have history. Point the way. . Ps Joel Olsteen is Christian just like you.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:32 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
Quote:
No..what it comes down to is that people like you use him for a strawman argument. He's a caricature of Christianity. He has nothing to do with Biblical Christianity, but people like you lift him up as a typical Christian, no matter how many of us condemn him and call him out, and you attack that strawman caricature as if we are all like him. The fact is, he preaches a message that is friendly to non-Christians and atheists. Nothing about his message is Christian.

Let's make a comparison. Rosie O'donnell is a disgusting individual. She has said some horrible things. By YOUR logic here, I would proclaim you a horrible person based on what I see of HER. But I'm able to realize that what she does is unrelated to other women I know that are wonderful people.

We could apply that argument to any group. Mormons, Atheists, Green Bay Packer fans, etc....
We could, Fundie but here's where we non-Christians have a massive problem with your kind of thinking:

Where is your God in all this??? Why isn't He looking out for His people??? Why is God allowing a false preacher who preaches a false gospel to millions upon millions upon millions of Christians and leading them down the road to hell and not stepping in to stop Osteen and protect His children???? Why are false Christian pastors the leading representative of the biggest churches in America? Rick Warren, leader of the biggest church in America had this to say about fundamentalists like yourself:

Quote:
"Christian fundamentalism will be one of the big enemies of the 21st century.â€
Jesus said "a house divided against itself cannot stand. It will fall." Your house and Osteen's house and Warren's house are all divided against each other. Won't Christianity surely fall as Jesus predicted? Or is Jesus wrong? Or am I wrong--Christianity is NOT divided even though we see all these gaping schisms among the various groups of Christians who think completely differently from each other?

What it boils down to is each megapastor simply tailors his message to the particular needs of his congregation and that's why people flock to different churches. Don't like what Warren at Saddleback teaches? Simply switch to Lakewood to get your prosperity message.

And in all this chaos where is God? He simply doesn't care. He allows these wolves to lead his church into the fires of hell and just twiddles His thumbs and watches and moans, "What can I do? They have free will. I can't violate their free will. I'll have to let them make their bed in the fires of hell and then send them there when they die." But of course God doesn't send them there--they send themselves there by rejecting the one true gospel, right?

Some God you got there.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:34 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,334,303 times
I see on social media that the Muslim community around Houston have stated that although Osteen church was closed that all 19 of their mosques had open doors to those in need.

In my city we have no mega churches. In the last 25 years we have had three mandatory evacuations due to a flooding river (we never got flooded) and although my wife, myself, dogs and cats stayed with friends I believe that all the religious and non religious organizations pitched in to help. For our first flood the entire evacuation zone was protect by the army. Unfortunately it was not the Canadian army hence when trying to get back into our area we had to deal with soldiers whose English was difficult to understand (British Army).

His church has made Osteen very rich so I suppose people think he has a moral obligation to open up to the needy at a time like this. If in times of crisis breweries can stop making beer to provide clean drinking water surely a church can chip in to help. I would guess that those churches with little money and poor pastors did is almost immediately.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:00 AM

11,123 posts, read 7,191,653 times
He who is without sin; cast the first stone. Whoever is perfect on this forum, step forward (jokers and cynics; don't waste our time).

Who among you complaining has a facility and broadcast services that improves the lives of millions on a weekly basis? Yes, millions would stand by that statement. Who of you gripers has the ability to shelter hundreds or thousands (or even tens of people?) Why are you complaining about others not making a place available, when they already have helped many. You don't even have a place that could do that. They're already miles beyond you.

It's awfully easy to throw stones from your computer chair, while you slouch and sloth away at the keyboard. In the end, none of your words or mine will matter. Those that are doing something, or even trying, will matter.

Choose this day which path you will take. Make the day count while you are still alive and breathing. Get off the damn computer and do something useful for your community, family, or someone.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-29-2017 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
I think Joel closed the church on Victoria's orders:

"I won't have that poor trash coming in and soiling my $10 million carpeting!

(public domain)

Old 08-29-2017, 10:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
Tax.
The.
Churches.
Naw.

The only shelter his church provides is a tax shelter...

Old 08-29-2017, 10:11 AM

11,123 posts, read 7,191,653 times
Trillobyte and company: Dump all your junk on the atheism forum, since that's obviously what you're about. We don't need that crap here.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:13 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,652,230 times
I remember a ship carrying people from Katrina being destroyed. I don't blame him for not wanting a church destroyed. He has a responsibility to the church members to preserve their place of worship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality