Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:15 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,968,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Trillobyte and company: Dump all your junk on the atheism forum, since that's obviously what you're about. We don't need this crap.
Well, I don't know about you but I am a Deist. I believe in God--just not the Christian's God. And this IS the Religion forum, not the Christianity one. So there's too!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 10:17 AM

11,156 posts, read 7,221,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, I don't know about you but I am a Deist. I believe in God--just not the Christian's God. And this IS the Religion forum, not the Christianity one. So there's too!!
So what's your God like? Does he not like people? Is he into bashing others? That's the impression you're giving off.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:18 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,756,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
He could have and should have done what the Mormons had done prior to Katrina in New Orleans and what my church had done in Honolulu: Have a plan in place for at least their own members for a predictable mass emergency.

The Mormons' plan in New Orleans was so complete that each member knew a year before exactly who would be giving him a ride out of the area and who he'd go to stay with outside the flood zone.

In my church in Honolulu, when a hurricane was impending, the pastor had a list of the widows and single mothers that we men used to evacuate them or board them up, depending on the zone they were in.

It's not necessary that a pastor be prepared to take in anybody and everybody in the community, but there is no excuse for any congregation not having a plan for at least their own members, as well as being willing to support the Salvation Army church with money and bodies (because the Salvation Army does have a plan to support the general community).

Edit: It appears, however, Osteen's own church was flooded out.
The city of Houston was not even ordered to evacuate. No one predicted a disaster on this scale so I don't think it's fair to criticize Olsteen for not having a plan in place. If the church is flooded as some of the photos suggest, then there is obviously safety concerns so sounds like he have wanted to use the church as a last resort when more safe facilities were beyond capacity. Also, a lesson from Katrina should be remembered. Just opening a massive arena like the Superdome for people without adequate planning, supplies and people can result in horrible conditions. What happens when there are not enough bathrooms for everyone and people just have to go right out in the open, for example? That can spread disease and water just makes it more dangerous.

I'm not going to rush to judge Olsteen here because I don't know all the facts. If the church building could truly be a safe haven then Olsteen is clearly in the wrong and failing at the most important commandment, to love and help others. Sitting cozy in a million dollar home and tweeting out a quick message telling people to pray comes off pretty callous.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:19 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,627,495 times
He opened the doors. His church is not flooded. He is doing the right thing.

Joel Olsteen is Christian. He says he is Christian. He is serving others in need.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:24 AM

11,156 posts, read 7,221,368 times
It's easy to blame, especially for all of those who want to find fault, and are lazy asses at researching the situation to see what's really going on.

Most of the major roads around church are literally underwater. Many people would be more adversely impacted trying to get to the church, rather than just staying in place where they are. But people here would blame them and the church regardless. There's no way to win against naysayers and armchair critics who see anything and everything in a cold, dark, negative tone.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:26 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,627,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's so easy to blame, especially for all of those who want to find fault, and are lazy asses at researching the situation to see what's really going on.

Most of the major roads around church are literally are underwater. More may be impacted negatively (read: hazard) trying to get there, rather than just staying in place where they are. Yes, the truth sometimes sucks, doesn't it?
He opened the doors. People and agencies will find their way to the doors. It is a good thing.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:35 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,373,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Osteen didn't want his beautiful Lakewood carpets stained by filthy trash refugees from Hurricane Harvey. But he did have a prayer for them:

But after being raked over the coals on social media he's suddenly found religion and has decided to open the doors. Probably figures he can bloat the cleaning bill and get a bigger deduction. What a tool!
Joel Osteen runs a for-rofit church. I would expect any decent Christian tp help nearbybtragedy victims, but I'd not even blink at him turning them away. At the end of the day, we've got to live according to our God, and his is mostly money and good press. He realized one would affect the other.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 30,046,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
He could have and should have done what the Mormons had done prior to Katrina in New Orleans and what my church had done in Honolulu: Have a plan in place for at least their own members for a predictable mass emergency.
Not only that... The Mormons sent 26 semi-trucks full of food, clothing and medical supplies to help anyone affected by Katrina (not just other Mormons). Most of those trucks were headed to the area before the storm even hit. I suspect they've done the same with Harvey.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:54 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,341,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The city of Houston was not even ordered to evacuate. No one predicted a disaster on this scale so I don't think it's fair to criticize Olsteen for not having a plan in place. If the church is flooded as some of the photos suggest, then there is obviously safety concerns so sounds like he have wanted to use the church as a last resort when more safe facilities were beyond capacity. Also, a lesson from Katrina should be remembered. Just opening a massive arena like the Superdome for people without adequate planning, supplies and people can result in horrible conditions. What happens when there are not enough bathrooms for everyone and people just have to go right out in the open, for example? That can spread disease and water just makes it more dangerous.

I'm not going to rush to judge Olsteen here because I don't know all the facts. If the church building could truly be a safe haven then Olsteen is clearly in the wrong and failing at the most important commandment, to love and help others. Sitting cozy in a million dollar home and tweeting out a quick message telling people to pray comes off pretty callous.
Jeff

Yesterday I was thinking that you have not been on this forum lately and was hoping all is well with you. Yes Katrina taught several lessons, the other one is to rescue pets along with their people. I mostly agree with your last paragraph. People may look at Osteen harsh because he has gotten so rich off of religion.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:56 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,645,612 times
All these phony christian preachers in Texas should open their churches up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality