Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 11:21 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,053,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
But it took care of you. You were special enough for it to heal you of your "crushed" elbow and various other maladies -- all medical miracles, of course.

But it turns a blind eye to African babies with their eyes full of maggots.

You must be very, very special indeed.

No, just a believer and a child of G-d. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 11:36 PM

11,051 posts, read 6,005,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Who says He does nothing? He does a lot of things for and through His children. Peace
I think it's pretty obvious he does nothing. What has he done for anyone? You say through his children? They did it it, not God. They did it through the goodness of their hearts. Granted, many of them may have done it under the belief they were doing it for God, which is not a bad thing I suppose.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:06 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,334,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Who says He does nothing? He does a lot of things for and through His children. Peace
Well yourself claims it is not up to God to directly help but he does it through people and it is the people who failed those starving children. If he can't get people to do his deeds whose fault is it, he is all powerful and all knowing? As said a God seemingly doing nothing is the same as no God at all. It still is your original claim that he helps people when they are at their lowest point. How much lower can you be then starving and your children are dying? But God still helps however the parents are to blame mostly for what others have done, and other people are to blame for not doing what you have claimed is what God told them to do. So what is God doing for those starving children?

As I said before what I cannot understand about the religious is their ability to juggle the truth and also come up with such contortions to excuse God of all responsibility, give him credit for everything and whatever goes wrong must be humans fault. Not sure why the religious have such negative opinions about their fellow humans and why they almost refuse to credit people for doing any good.

By all accounts you have given of your God, who you said looks after and loves all his chikdren, a pass on assisting the children who need help the most. You have failed to state who God asked to help these children and have blamed those poor and maybe dying parents of those children for all the greed and waste of the developed world. Just from your posts I can only see a God that steps in to help those in little need or steps in to take credit when man has done goid. Remember, I am not bashing God or demanding him to do anything, I am arguing that by your own words one cannot count on him to help those in need. It is that mindset that we should thank him and worship him and do everything ourselves and give him the credit for whatever we have done that i find strange and cannot imagine how that works. And so the question.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,415,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
But it took care of you. You were special enough for it to heal
you of your "crushed" elbow and various other maladies -- all medical miracles, of course.
But it turns a blind eye to African babies with their eyes full of maggots.
You must be very, very special indeed.
That was snarky.
I, too, have been healed of a severe 3 year issue. I went to an 'altar call', asked, believed.
(that was in 2009, still healed)
Am I special?
No more than anyone else. Have I had a few lifetimes the same as that poor child?
Sure, and maybe worse...I could have caused others' sufferings.
(I know many think reincarnation is woo-woo, I don't care...that discussion is for another thread.)

This existence for a hungry child or a prince has many layers of reasons .
And this is one reason we are not to judge...because we have no idea about the path that
ill child took to get to that point. Same as the prince and his path to be where he is this lifetime.
Is he to be blamed, now?
Is the child to be blamed?
Is God to be blamed?
Is no one to be blamed?

There is more going on than meets the eye.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:05 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,408,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That was snarky.
I, too, have been healed of a severe 3 year issue. I went to an 'altar call', asked, believed.
(that was in 2009, still healed)
Am I special?
No more than anyone else. Have I had a few lifetimes the same as that poor child?
Sure, and maybe worse...I could have caused others' sufferings.
(I know many think reincarnation is woo-woo, I don't care...that discussion is for another thread.)

This existence for a hungry child or a prince has many layers of reasons .
And this is one reason we are not to judge...because we have no idea about the path that
ill child took to get to that point. Same as the prince and his path to be where he is this lifetime.
Is he to be blamed, now?
Is the child to be blamed?
Is God to be blamed?
Is no one to be blamed?

There is more going on than meets the eye.
This is the explanation that I've heard that makes sense to me, and it has absolutely ZERO to do with anyone being special, or God blessing some and not others, or even God waiting on people to do for others:

God is the constant source of all that is good, and of well-being, and never withholds that from anyone for any reason. In other words, God isn't blessing some people with health because they are doing or believing the "right things", or cursing others with sickness as punishment for not doing or believing. It's not about a person being worthy or not. God doesn't play that game. God (the source of all that is good) simply IS.

If one approaches it from that point of view, then it's a matter of figuring out why one isn't experiencing well-being in any area of one's life. In other words, how are we blocking the flow of all that is good from our experience? If it doesn't have anything to do with "pleasing God", then what is it?

Many, many people in the past, and in the present, have given us keys to the answer... Biblically (because that's what I was raised in and so these things quickly pop into my mind), "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind", 'As a person thinks in their heart, so they are,", "Give thanks in all circumstances," "Whatever is good, etc., think on these things," ... and many, many more.

In other words, cultivating an attitude of grateful expectancy seems to me to be the starting point. What we give our attention to in our lives, and with what attitude, is of utmost importance.

The reason this idea resonates with me, is because I've seen the evidence in my own life.

Last edited by Pleroo; 08-26-2017 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 09:22 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,603,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

The reason this idea resonates with me, is because I've seen the evidence in my own life.
it resonates with me because it fits physiology and works its way back to the standard model. I agree, special has nothing to do with it. I don't know how it works but I do know it will work for some people.

The probability of it working for some people 100%. It doesn't matter how I feel about it or what I want to be true. If you are doing it ... the universe is doing more of it.

The biosphere's interactions, taken as a whole, predict it will happen again. I wonder who's mechanism work to make a better predictions?

1) my god will pick people.
2) I am justified in denying it will happen because I know religion is so evil
3) I can relish in the joy when it happens and weep for myself when it doesn't, all the while, trying to learn the reasons so that we all understand.

add a fourth.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,415,048 times
Quote:
Many, many people in the past, and in the present, have given us keys to the answer... Biblically (because that's what I was raised in and so these things quickly pop into my mind),
"Be transformed by the renewing of your mind",
'As a person thinks in their heart, so they are,",
"Give thanks in all circumstances,"
"Whatever is good, etc., think on these things," ... and many, many more.

In other words, cultivating an attitude of grateful expectancy seems to me to be the starting point.
What we give our attention to in our lives, and with what attitude, is of utmost importance.

Oh, boy that was a great post!

Old 08-26-2017, 11:11 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,053,304 times
Quote:
This is the explanation that I've heard that makes sense to me, and it has absolutely ZERO to do with anyone being special, or God blessing some and not others, or even God waiting on people to do for others:

God is the constant source of all that is good, and of well-being, and never withholds that from anyone for any reason. In other words, God isn't blessing some people with health because they are doing or believing the "right things", or cursing others with sickness as punishment for not doing or believing. It's not about a person being worthy or not. God doesn't play that game. God (the source of all that is good) simply IS.

If one approaches it from that point of view, then it's a matter of figuring out why one isn't experiencing well-being in any area of one's life. In other words, how are we blocking the flow of all that is good from our experience? If it doesn't have anything to do with "pleasing God", then what is it?

Many, many people in the past, and in the present, have given us keys to the answer... Biblically (because that's what I was raised in and so these things quickly pop into my mind), "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind", 'As a person thinks in their heart, so they are,", "Give thanks in all circumstances," "Whatever is good, etc., think on these things," ... and many, many more.

In other words, cultivating an attitude of grateful expectancy seems to me to be the starting point. What we give our attention to in our lives, and with what attitude, is of utmost importance.

Actually it does have something to do with pleasing G-d. All those things you listed, have FAITH as their root, and without faith it is impossible to please Him. Jesus moved for the gentile woman who reminded Him that even the dogs eat the crumbs from the Master's table, when she was not even at that time, part of the covenant, because of her faith. Peace

Old 08-26-2017, 11:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Large angry pan dimensional being in the sky. Refuses to show any evidence of his existence but will sentence you to an eternity of pain and burning if you do not accept it.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:29 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Large angry pan dimensional being in the sky. Refuses to show any evidence of his existence but will sentence you to an eternity of pain and burning if you do not accept it.
Yep. That's the fundie godling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality