Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 11:54 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,349,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Did I say G-d causes any of it? He does not. Some of it man causes though sin, some of it is simply a natural part of the creation that He set up, reacting naturally. Why unbelievers want to blame G-d is a mystery to me. If you don't believe in Him, why shake your fist at something that doesn't exist? Need a hobby, or what? Peace
Maybe read what I post with an open mind. I don't blame God for droughts and famine. I do not accept the rational that some religious people like yourself claim that your God does all this good but ignore all those who suffer as its not God's fault or doing. It was you that claimed that your God that helped everyone when they were down but when confronted with starvation in Africa you said that was the parents fault even though they themselves are also starving.

So no I am not shaking a fist at God nor can I understand how you even jump to that conclusion. But I do find it interesting to see how folks are so willing to defy logic and reason to rationalize how they think that their God is perfect and responsible for all good and that man is responsible for all bad. I also find it amusing how your type can also justify some of the horrible things that your God supposedly has done in the Bible or how they twist everything in attempts to make it fit their own intrepetation of that book.

You see I am debating people so that I can better understand that way of thinking as opposed to eating about God. It is your beliefs and means of defending what you claim that is both eye opening and entertaining. And I do have several hobbies. Why believers cannot separate what they post from their God is the real mystery. Did God state that he will help everyone when they are at their lowest point but still allow babies to starve? No it was your posts and so I try to make sense of this, very odd to me, way of thinking.

If you think that trying to understand someone with a totally different worldview is wrong so be it. And it is easier to get to what they think by questioning them on what they say. Have you ever read a post of mine that mocked the idea of a God? I do not think you could have. I do not believe that the evidence for a God is there hence I lack the belief in one, but as long as my world is directly or indirectly affected by those who do I have the right to both try to understand them and to tell them when I think that they are wrong to inject their religious beliefs upon others. You will see me barely making a post in the Christianity forum and when I do it is for clarification but this forum is not about Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 12:03 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,071,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Maybe read what I post with an open mind. I don't blame God for droughts and famine. I do not accept the rational that some religious people like yourself claim that your God does all this good but ignore all those who suffer as its not God's fault or doing. It was you that claimed that your God that helped everyone when they were down but when confronted with starvation in Africa you said that was the parents fault even though they themselves are also starving.

So no I am not shaking a fist at God nor can I understand how you even jump to that conclusion. But I do find it interesting to see how folks are so willing to defy logic and reason to rationalize how they think that their God is perfect and responsible for all good and that man is responsible for all bad. I also find it amusing how your type can also justify some of the horrible things that your God supposedly has done in the Bible or how they twist everything in attempts to make it fit their own intrepetation of that book.

You see I am debating people so that I can better understand that way of thinking as opposed to eating about God. It is your beliefs and means of defending what you claim that is both eye opening and entertaining. And I do have several hobbies. Why believers cannot separate what they post from their God is the real mystery. Did God state that he will help everyone when they are at their lowest point but still allow babies to starve? No it was your posts and so I try to make sense of this, very odd to me, way of thinking.

If you think that trying to understand someone with a totally different worldview is wrong so be it. And it is easier to get to what they think by questioning them on what they say. Have you ever read a post of mine that mocked the idea of a God? I do not think you could have. I do not believe that the evidence for a God is there hence I lack the belief in one, but as long as my world is directly or indirectly affected by those who do I have the right to both try to understand them and to tell them when I think that they are wrong to inject their religious beliefs upon others. You will see me barely making a post in the Christianity forum and when I do it is for clarification but this forum is not about Christianity.

I "jumped at that conclusion" on the basis of what you said. Can you not see why? Peace

Old 08-25-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I "jumped at that conclusion" on the basis of what you said. Can you not see why? Peace
No I asked you why God does things and not others and why you give him credit for all the God and man the blame for all the bad. I never said that God must do anything or that I was angry at God for not doing anything. I addressed your points about how God helps those at their lowest point in your comment to Shirina with the inquiry as to if that is the case why not the dying children where upon you placed those children starving as the blame to their oarents. Everything else was to discuss this rationalize of good equals God, bad equals man's fault.

So again how can you tell a person that God loves them and will help them at their lowest point and yet justify him ignoring tens of thousands dying at their lowest point? I am not telling God what he should be doing, I am asking you how is this logical?

Old 08-25-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
No I asked you why God does things and not others and why you give him credit for all the God and man the blame for all the bad. I never said that God must do anything or that I was angry at God for not doing anything. I addressed your points about how God helps those at their lowest point in your comment to Shirina with the inquiry as to if that is the case why not the dying children where upon you placed those children starving as the blame to their oarents. Everything else was to discuss this rationalize of good equals God, bad equals man's fault.

So again how can you tell a person that God loves them and will help them at their lowest point and yet justify him ignoring tens of thousands dying at their lowest point? I am not telling God what he should be doing, I am asking you how is this logical?

Because He also works through PEOPLE, and they aren't picking up the slack, obviously. Peace

Old 08-25-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Because He also works through PEOPLE, and they aren't picking up the slack, obviously. Peace
Lol

If my only exposure about your God was from you I would conclude that the only thing he does is scoop up the credit on all the good things that humans do. Nothing else. How is a God that does nothing any different from a God who does not exist?

Old 08-25-2017, 09:32 PM

11,092 posts, read 6,041,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
"What Is God"

It's actually easier to answer what God is NOT -- which poses a bit of snarky irony.

Because it's damn near a certitude that what the vast majority of people call "God" is NOT God.

If God exists, he (I'm using male pronouns just for comprehension ease so don't throw any rotten eggs) would be far more than the primitive, one-dimensional "gods" found in the world's major holy books.

God would not be vain, narcissistic, jealous, and perpetually angry -- God would not be driven by ego, issuing such demands as "worship me" and "love me" and "put me first."

God would not play mind games with Abraham, allow Satan to torture Job for the sake of a bet, send bears to rip apart half a hundred children, accept the blood sacrifice of Jephthah's daughter, flood the earth in an act of genocidal rage, murder the first born of Egypt just to coerse "Pharaoh" to let the Hebrews go, or tell his followers like Joshua to wage an aggressive war just to grab land -- and to butcher every last man, woman, child, baby, and animal in over a dozen different cities.

No, a real God would never do those things -- would never act like a corrupted human being with unlimited power.

A real God would find eternal torture as abhorrant as I do and would never even consider that for a punishment -- especially as punishment for failing to worship him. In fact, a real God would almost certainly take himself out of the equation entirely and simply tell the word to be the best person you can, abide by these few simple rules, and treat your fellow human beings well. Worshiping him, praising him, loving him, joining his religion -- none of that would matter to a real God. Only our actions would matter, not whether or not we spend our lives putting him first and obeying hundreds of silly rules.

A real God would never have the concept of sin. There would be right and wrong, but only as it pertains to how we treat each other, not how we treat God.

Yeah, I could go on at length about what God isn't -- because a REAL God would be indescribeable with any human language. A real God would be an experience unique to itself and thus impossible to relate to anyone. Except we wouldn't have to because we would ALL know his existence and we would ALL experience it.

Unlike the "fake" Gods who apparently pick and choose arbitrarily who gets to have an "experience" and who gets left out in the cold.
I'm out of reps for you (as usual)

This is brilliant. May I quote you?

Old 08-25-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Why blame G-d for that? Is He supposed to come down and take care of our offspring for us, or is that our responsibility?

It's easy, He created it, He created the rules of operation. You know Him, you learn the rules, because He teaches you. Peace
God created us right? Didn't he? Yes?

If so, then it is his responsibility!

Either that or he doesn't exist and didn't create anything.

And since you are saying it is not his responsibility ....

Consider this;
Quote:
Yes drought comes blame the parents. War hits a region blame the parents. Something good happens give God credit. So the rules are do not get born in a very poor country. If you are born in a very rich country you will be blessed.

That is the part I don't get, all good things are credited to your God but you place zero responsibility for anything that is not goodupon him. I guess with that mindset it is easy to accept any terrible thing in the Bible aND to justify it. Makes no sense.

Last edited by 303Guy; 08-25-2017 at 09:50 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 09:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,277,958 times
Quote:
Why blame G-d for that? Is He supposed to come down and take care of our offspring for us, or is that our responsibility?

It's easy, He created it, He created the rules of operation. You know Him, you learn the rules, because He teaches you. Peace
But it took care of you. You were special enough for it to heal you of your "crushed" elbow and various other maladies -- all medical miracles, of course.

But it turns a blind eye to African babies with their eyes full of maggots.

You must be very, very special indeed.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
But it took care of you. You were special enough for it to heal you of your "crushed" elbow and various other maladies -- all medical miracles, of course.

But it turns a blind eye to African babies with their eyes full of maggots.

You must be very, very special indeed.
There's an irony in there somewhere wouldn't you say?

What I keep picking up is a string of excuses to make reality fit the God belief.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Lol

If my only exposure about your God was from you I would conclude that the only thing he does is scoop up the credit on all the good things that humans do. Nothing else. How is a God that does nothing any different from a God who does not exist?

Who says He does nothing? He does a lot of things for and through His children. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality