Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:32 AM

678 posts, read 431,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The roots of most things boil down to one natural phenomenon, self-preservation.
Until one reaches what Maslow called self-actualization most are trapped in the primitive mind set of self-preservation, no matter the ilk.
Ironically I just started reading the book Win Forever by Pete Carrol and I believe he talks about Maslow in it.
I don't know much about Maslow but the general philosophy resonates thus far.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,833,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You've attributed bad intentions to their failure to see things your way all the way to calling them expressing themselves an "attack". Do you not see Christians disagreeing with Christians as well? Are all Christians part of your "in group"?

This is the definition of intolerance:

lack of tolerance; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect opinions or beliefs contrary to one's own.
unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect persons of a different social group, especially members of a minority group.

By not being able to allow people with contradictory views into your in group you are being intolerant. What's true for me might not be true for you. Things aren't always what the seem to be and all that.
Intolerance via this sub forum, I assumed it was a generalization.

Intolerance has a far larger scope than what you are characterizing.

Broad definitions?

When a subject as this has been brought up. I personally always think of pairs first.

So what should I tolerate from the peer next to me.

This would be a long drawn out conversation. Because the spirit judges.

The prince of this world has an agenda against the children of the kingdom. And sets out to confuse by many offenenses and setting snares, and a few other tacts that I'll digress from carrying on about.

“Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves"

Degradation is the underlying intention behind a generalization of tolerance.
So like waves breaking over and over the enemy decries "tolerate this offense." And as soon as you yeild. The enemy decries"evil is good".

How long would someone tolerate physical or mental abuse?
When they are given the choice to leave or seek help?

Last edited by pinacled; 08-24-2017 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 11:47 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,094,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Let me put it another way:

If a person was empathetic, compassionate and loving, they simply could not become a fundamentalist as an adult. There are certain requirements (and lack of) for card-carrying membership in a fundie club - Christian, Muslim or Whatever-ism:

1 - They must be black & white thinkers. Nuance escapes them.
You seem pretty black and white in your thinking about that. I guess that makes you a fundamentalist.

Quote:
2 - They must be terrified of their god.
I self-describe myself as a fundamentalist and I'm not terrified of God.
Quote:
3 - They believe their god hates. Therefore, it's a-ok for them to hate as well.
Again.....I don't hate anyone. Not even you.
Quote:
4 - They're totally cool with their god killing all and sundry with impunity and they're so terrified of it that they refer to it as "loving" and "kind" and "just." (Ever hear of Stockholm Syndrome?)
I'm guessing you're ok with killing, as well. If a bad guy entered your house at night and attempted to harm someone you love, I'm guessing you'd be ok with a police officer responding and maybe even shooting him.

So I guess you're a fundie.
Quote:
Now, there are many poor souls who ARE compassionate etc. but were indoctrinated into a fundie sect from an early age. The only hope for a cure is being brave enough to question some of the idiocies in their "holy" book.
Or maybe one could learn to understand why those things are written in the different BOOKS of the Bible.

Quote:
But if a person embraces fundie-think as an adult, I know everything I need to know about them. They are a bane unto my spirit.
Doesn't surprise me. You've demonstrated an incredible amount of intolerance toward anyone that actually dares to say some things are right or wrong.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:47 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,788 times
Intolerance is not discussing our differences, it is refusing to do so because you won't or can't answer the questions about those differences and resorting to "I'm right because I have an authority you don't recognize."

Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 PM

678 posts, read 431,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post

How long would someone tolerate physical or mental abuse?
When they are given the choice to leave or seek help?
That's a whole different subject matter. I was talking about intolerance in terms of religious bigotry. People who know that their God is the right and only God, their scripture is the right scripture, their spirit is the right spirit and the vast majority of the rest of the planet is wrong.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:21 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,073,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yet, that's what you do daily on here when you appeal to "agape love" and tell us the Bible is bad. Your authority is what you define, and what you believe. If we disagree with you, you tell us we're wrong. The difference is that I appeal to what God has said in Scripture, you appeal to an inner conviction that cannot be defined, or understood by anyone else but you.

It's amazing how you simply cannot see your own intolerance.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:24 PM

64,035 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Intolerance is not discussing our differences, it is refusing to do so because you won't or can't answer the questions about those differences and resorting to "I'm right because I have an authority you don't recognize."
The man-made belief that the Bible is the word of God is a major stumbling block to the truth. It requires accepting conflicting and contradictory moral values and pretending that they are moral because God said so. It is irrational.
Quote:
Yet, that's what you do daily on here when you appeal to "agape love" and tell us the Bible is bad. Your authority is what you define, and what you believe. If we disagree with you, you tell us we're wrong. The difference is that I appeal to what God has said in Scripture, you appeal to an inner conviction that cannot be defined, or understood by anyone else but you.
Why do you keep saying it is undefined when the verses in scripture that define the Spirit in detail are cited frequently????
Quote:
Is intolerance of religious intolerance a vice???

Old 08-24-2017, 06:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,788 times
Quote:

What the Bible says:
Berean Literal Bible
And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you to the age--

Berean Study Bible
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.

When the Advocate comes, whom I will send you from the Father--the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father--He will testify about Me.

Berean Study Bible
But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:01 PM

64,035 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
What the Bible says:
Berean Literal Bible
And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you to the age--

Berean Study Bible
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.

When the Advocate comes, whom I will send you from the Father--the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father--He will testify about Me.

Berean Study Bible
But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,286,629 times
Quote:
What the Bible says:
Berean Literal Bible

Berean Study Bible

Berean Study Bible
And thus it came to pass that the Holy Spirit did visit Bill & Ted and millions from all the lands heard and heeded their advice/prayer: Be excellent to each other.

And everyone lived happily ever after.

Amen.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality