Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:09 PM

678 posts, read 431,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
God is the only one trustworthy, and worth following. However, most people would say I'm a fanatic for expressing my Faith. Most people don't even consider their relationship to God- they are too busy playing with electronic gadgets.
God is the only thing (no people) in the world worth following? That seems intolerant to me especially for blaming it on electronics.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:13 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,094,969 times
Interestingly enough, on this forum, the ones that tend to be the most intolerant are those that decry doctrine, or the Bible.

I think they truly hate what God has said in his Word. They prefer to make a god of their own choosing, is my personal guess.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:21 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,053,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'm wondering if the root comes down to fear. Fear that one's religious ideology may be wrong. Fear that one may become uncomfortable if they take off their lenses and look at things from other perspectives.

Anyway, curious to hear what others think.
Insecurity leads to intolerance. Ignorance strengthens the Insecurity.

Fear of consequences leads to blind faith.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,053,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Interestingly enough, on this forum, the ones that tend to be the most intolerant are those that decry doctrine, or the Bible.

I think they truly hate what God has said in his Word. They prefer to make a god of their own choosing, is my personal guess.
My observation is opposite. Even in this post you have decided that there is only One God and that is yours. Cant God speak to others at all??

Old 08-23-2017, 04:31 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,094,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
My observation is opposite. Even in this post you have decided that there is only One God and that is yours. Cant God speak to others at all??
And just as intolerant are those that decide there are many gods and there can't possibly be one. Can't there be one God and can't he speak to whomever he chooses?

Old 08-23-2017, 05:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,487,874 times
Quote:
Plenty of people have a direct, personal experience and that leads to more bigotry and hate. Are you saying they're mistaken and that's not truly God?
I don't know who could exp God's Divine Presence and ever again hate. Beats me, Jumbo.
But that is my answer...people can fall prey to a hardened heart, I guess, from forgetfulness.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,647,673 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if the root comes down to fear. Fear that one's religious ideology may be wrong. Fear that one may become uncomfortable if they take off their lenses and look at things from other perspectives.

Anyway, curious to hear what others think.
fear is big, thats for sure. mentals, addiction, and adult children of abuse play a role too. Toss in regular old variation in brain state and ...poof ... a whole lot of stupid.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:04 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,073,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If it does not match the characterisitcs of the Spirit as shown in the Sermon on the mount, Paul's description of Love as basis and the "fruit of the spirit" from Galations, it is a different spirit entirely. And they are rife.
Tight now we are in a period of fear that what we have will be taken away from us, and putting the blame anywhere but on our failure to adapt to changing conditions.

That's absolute nonsense and not scriptural. We're told that no man can say except by the power of the HG that Christ has come (in their, not His) in the flesh. THAT, and only that, is what determines whether or not the HG is in residence in the believer. Peace

Old 08-23-2017, 06:10 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,073,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I like Hanlon's razor for this:

Hanlon's razor is an aphorism expressed in various ways including "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"[1][2] or "Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding." It recommends a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for a phenomenon (a philosophical razor).

I would say ignorance leads to intolerance. I think you are right that fear is at the core of it.

I would say that part of the perceived "problem" is that His righteousness and authority to determine what is holy and what is profane, is described by modern humanistic man, as "intolerance". Peace

Old 08-23-2017, 06:57 PM

15,993 posts, read 6,400,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Us vs Them mentality leads to intolerance. I think Trout touched on that quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality