Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,370,235 times

Advertisements

Biblically, there are periods described of darkness. One of these is during Jesus's death. I did the research, and... the event of a solar eclipse cannot account for this darkness. For you see, a solar eclipse happens during New Moon, and Passover is always set during a full moon. What it does say, however, is that the "sun failed." Also, there was a lunar eclipse that night. So, the sun failed, as in, a supernatural eclipse-like event during the day, which also lasted for hours (solar eclipses last 7 minutes), and caused a violent storm. The moon also turned to blood that night. The key here, is that both a solar and lunar eclipse supposedly happened, which is not only impossible, but one was in the wrong time of year.

Revelations talks about the sun no longer shining, and the moon turning to blood. Could an eclipse be a sign of things to come? We have had alot of political stuff go on, and lots of creepy events. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,352,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Biblically, there are periods described of darkness. One of these is during Jesus's death. I did the research, and... the event of a solar eclipse cannot account for this darkness. For you see, a solar eclipse happens during New Moon, and Passover is always set during a full moon. What it does say, however, is that the "sun failed." Also, there was a lunar eclipse that night. So, the sun failed, as in, a supernatural eclipse-like event during the day, which also lasted for hours (solar eclipses last 7 minutes), and caused a violent storm. The moon also turned to blood that night. The key here, is that both a solar and lunar eclipse supposedly happened, which is not only impossible, but one was in the wrong time of year.

Revelations talks about the sun no longer shining, and the moon turning to blood. Could an eclipse be a sign of things to come? We have had alot of political stuff go on, and lots of creepy events. Thoughts?
Knowledgeable people understand that a solar eclipse occurs when the moon come between the sun and the earth and briefly covers the sun. Ignorant people have traditionally seen it as an act of God and sign of some major impending catastrophe. Or whatever foolish notion their background in ancient superstitious ignorance happens to concoct. Trying to explain it to them is like trying to convince them that the earth is not flat and is a good deal older than 6,000 years. Concerted ignorance however cannot be dissuaded. The irredeemably ignorant will insist that science doesn't know what it is talking about, even as they type out texts on their smart phones.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:10 AM

10,536 posts, read 6,175,841 times
It's just a wholly predictable astronomical event, though an utterly, fantastically awesome one at that. I wish I could go but it's at least a 13 hour drive from where I am and hubby can't take the time off work. I have seen a total solar eclipse before though, some years ago in France. We went specifically to see it. I rate it as one of the best experiences I have ever had. If you can get to see it, you should.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:28 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,698,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It's just a wholly predictable astronomical event, though an utterly, fantastically awesome one at that. I wish I could go but it's at least a 13 hour drive from where I am and hubby can't take the time off work. I have seen a total solar eclipse before though, some years ago in France. We went specifically to see it. I rate it as one of the best experiences I have ever had. If you can get to see it, you should.
I'm in the 95% coverage area but will not be going to totality this year. Hopefully I will be going to Ohio in 2024 to see totality. Yes, this is a totally natural event that I'm looking forward to.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times
Quote:

yes its a sign of things to come. It just that we have a different opinion on those things.

I am scheduling to be outside then.
We have to tell people "don't look up at the sun!!!!!"
we have to remind people not to watch it and drive.

Yeah, its a sign ... of what people need to learn before they give me opinions on god or no god.
they could go through their entire lives and never see one. It wouldn't mean a thing to some people. Why would they force that opinion on me?

Old 08-16-2017, 06:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
The Gospel of John does not have this darkness. Therefore since there are only two sources - John and the Synoptic account, they contradict.

Now I know that there are those who say that just because there is a serious contradiction, or omission by one of what was claimed by the other, that doesn't mean it isn't true.

I say it does, or is evidence that it does, especially since it is demonstrable that the sources of the synoptic are common, and therefore what important stuff is in one ought to be in all. Thus the lack of a nativity and resurrection appearance in Mark, coupled with the gross contradictions in the three other accounts, show these accounts to be invented and false.

That being so, other synoptic contradictions, like Judas' death, the penitent thief, the opening tombs, sinking Simon, Pilate's surprise and the assassination at Nazareth and most significantly the tomb guard, are all demonstrable inventions, and we even know why they were invented. To get over problems in the story.

I may say that minor (but often significant) contradictions are then shown to be just as bad. The two donkeys, Bar Timaeus at Jericho before Jesus arrives or as he leaves? The cursing of the fig tree on one day or two? and even marks servants in the fishing boat. Not just minor items that one eyewitness mentioned, but another didn't bother, but an addition to a common text to get over a problem - like Jesus leaving old Zebedee and his fishing business in the lurch. It's ok, thinks Mark, give him some servants and no harm done.

Yes, Mark is as bad as the others.

So compare the synoptic account with John, and you don't have Three witnesses plus one speaking from a 'different point of view'. You have two accounts written without the original common text of the synoptics.

Do they agree? Do they, as has long been noted, hell. There have been appeals to read with an Open Mind. Cheats and hypocrites. They mean 'unquestioning acceptance. I want people to read me with an open mind, but what I get are minds welded shut with the supaglu of faith.

There have been attempts to cover this up by talking of a Galillee tradition and Jerusalem tradition. Balls. The stories are the same, when you get down to it.

The Galilee material between the healing of the official's servant and the feeding of 5,000 is missing from John. And all that stuff between Jesus setting off for Jerusalem via Peraea, and the arrival at Bethany is fudged and fiddled by John.

There is not one parable in John, and none of his sermons in the synoptics. There are made up by the writers (Q material aside) and you can bet Trump's lower lip on it. There is no transfiguration in John and you can bet his wife's ass on it it being invented.

Now, while there are some hints that John might indeed have had a few true details that the synoptic account didn't have, what the synoptics have that John doesn't can be tossed in the bin along with Omega's credibility.

There are some questions about John's reliability(1) and there are interesting indications of 'floating stories' - miracles that were going around and were picked up by John and the synopics, but were used in different places - 'take up your bed and walk' Galilee or Jerusalem? the miraculous draft of fish, before the resurrection or after? the centurion's servant or 'Ruler's' boy. Done in Cana or Capernaum? And one wonders whther the healing of the blind man in either Jericho or Jerusalem (shorn of John's very Jesus type debate between the blind man and the "Jews") was the same original 'miracle'. And that may also explain why there is no walking on water in Luke. It was picked up by John and by the writer of the synoptic version used by Matthew and Mark, but not by Luke.

However, Your eyes are probably glazing over, though it's simple enough when laid out in sequence. But the point is that the Synoptic darkness is not in John and that means that it is simply an invented miracle for a particular purpose - to show how God himself was mourning and showing his displeasure at the redemption of man plot that he had forced through even when jesus begged to be let off had gone almost without a hitch,and the wickedness of men would carry the can as usual and he would get off with clean hands, as he always did.

It is futile to do a Phlegon and Thallia search for eclipses to pin the crucifixion down to a date. There was no darkness at the crucifixioin. It was made up to Impress.

(1) the shifting of the temple cleansing from Holy Week to before the baptism - and the 'two similar events' lie can be dismissed along with Pence's views on evolution.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-16-2017 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-16-2017, 07:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,040,953 times
It's an eclipse. Don't read more into it than isn't there. There is nothing in the Bible that tells us this is symbolic for anything.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,569,809 times
Quote:

We've already figured out when each eclipse comes. Sow how on God's earth can it possibly be an omen of "things to come" when it is a periodic predictable thing like a clock hitting noon. Are you kidding me?

Do you think the distorted way you've managed to frame this into some portent is actually a window into an unmoored and fanciful way of thinking about the world? Which might lead to - you know - some unreliable and magical ideological beliefs....

Old 08-16-2017, 08:06 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,040,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
We've already figured out when each eclipse comes. Sow how on God's earth can it possibly be an omen of "things to come" when it is a periodic predictable thing like a clock hitting noon. Are you kidding me?

Do you think the distorted way you've managed to frame this into some portent is actually a window into an unmoored and fanciful way of thinking about the world? Which might lead to - you know - some unreliable and magical ideological beliefs....
It's not. It just isn't.

I had a friend share a post from Ann Graham Lotz last week saying it's a warning to America. I find that absurd. With all do respect to her Daddy Billy, that's just nuts. This is a cosmic event. Nothing more.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,370,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
This was not a "wholly predictable event" though. The lunar eclipse happened on the day, the darkness covering the land during daylight could not have happened. Especially not in the same day.

Quote:
It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land [or, earth] until three in the afternoon, while the sun's light failed [or, the sun was eclipsed]; and the curtain of the temple was torn in two.
As I say, Passover is during a full moon. A lunar eclipse was certainly possible (and predictable) because a lunar eclipse happens during a full moon while the moon is away from the sun. A solar eclipse happens when the moon faces the sun. But the moon cannot be both away and towards the sun (paradox). Both of these happened in the same day.

Now, listen to this.

Joel 2 NASB

Quote:
31“The sun will be turned into darkness
And the moon into blood
Before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes.
This was old testament, prophesying an event here.

This is new testament, prophesying another coming event.

Quote:
17‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out My Spirit on all people;
your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
18Even on My servants, both men and women,
I will pour out My Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.
19I will show wonders in the heavens above
and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and clouds of smoke.
20The sun will be turned to darkness,
and the moon to blood,
before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.
21And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’
In other words, if a lunar and solar eclipse ever happen on the same night (again, impossible) then something's up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality