Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:42 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,018,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwocmo View Post
Live in the total eclipse area; went out to see it.
It was pretty cool; didn't need a ticket or anything.
But afterwards– nothing happened.
Looked around the neighborhood. No zombies here.

Oh, wait…
Beautiful.
I couldn't see the eclipse (no glasses or cereal box filter) but I felt the temp drop and it got pretty hazy out for an hour or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 09:47 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,540,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Knowledgeable people understand that a solar eclipse occurs when the moon come between the sun and the earth and briefly covers the sun. <> Trying to explain it to them is like trying to convince them that the earth is not flat <>
Did you happen to catch any of the Flat Earthers explaining how we can have eclipses when the Earth and Moon do not go around the Sun? First is they can't accept the eclipse moves from West to East. That's all backwards to their thinking.
They are not in the same class of people as Christians, they are WAaaay past that.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
<>My house will be in the totality path and will last twice as long.
Say What??

Old 08-22-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
<>Let the sun stop and park in front of the sun for 3 days and we might begin to wonder what the heck is really going on.
Sun says, "Not me boss, it was the Moon what blocked out the light. Seriously, I've got an alibi."

Old 08-22-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Since God created the universe, the only thing I read into this eclipse is that it's a free show of his handiwork<>
In order for there to be an eclipse and for you to see it there is a string of amazing things that has to happen:
God created the universe and set the stars, Sun, Moon, and Earth in motion at a certain time and place in space.
God set YOU into motion at a particular time and place so that you would be able to arrive at the spot of the eclipse.
You of your free will decided to show up.
Now most of the implied events in the chain of you and the universe require no intervention by God, once he got the ball rolling.
None of that requires that there is a God, but gosh, the probability of all that working out on it's own is pretty slim, isn't it?

Old 08-23-2017, 12:38 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,833,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Say What??
I know! Right? I won't have to go anywhere.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:06 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,773 times
Quote:
In order for there to be an eclipse and for you to see it there is a string of amazing things that has to happen:
God created the universe and set the stars, Sun, Moon, and Earth in motion at a certain time and place in space.
God set YOU into motion at a particular time and place so that you would be able to arrive at the spot of the eclipse.
Now most of the implied events in the chain of you and the universe require no intervention by God, once he got the ball rolling.
None of that requires that there is a God, but gosh, the probability of all that working out on it's own is pretty slim, isn't it?
But why would a God design it so that eclipses happen, or that planets revolve around stars far beyond our ability to see or for astoids to bombard the surface of the moon or of Earth? And not everyone, even with their own free will could go and see this eclipse. So why did God place this particular eclipse in a country which tries to prevent certain people from visiting? See when you make a claim that God provided something for some you would need to also accept that he obstructed others or that he causes bad things to happen as well.

I saw a total eclipse decades ago in Canada. A total eclipse of the sun occurs on average every 18 months so they are not even very rare. This one was a big thing in the US because it happened there.

What are the probabilities for? Once matter formed into stars and planets eclipses would be inevitable I think.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:05 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,541,348 times
Quote:
Why would anyone acknowledge, never mind worship, a deity who, once it set its creations in motion, stopped caring what happened to them?

Old 08-24-2017, 02:44 PM

7,251 posts, read 7,096,061 times
I didn't buy into the hype. Read about people who cried and praised god and it was laughable.

Big whoop. It got dark for a couple of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality