Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 02:56 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,030,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Self-centeredness is thus a necessity of life, but this necessity is also a sin. Self-centerednessis an intellectual error, because no living creature is in truth the center of the universe; and it is also a moral error, because no living creature has a right to act as if it were the center of the universe. It has no right to treat its fellow creatures, the universe and God or Reality as if they existed simply in order to minister to one self-centered living creature's demands.
Toynbee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Humans themselves are makers of themselves - by virtue of the thoughts which they choose and encourage; for mind is the master-weaver, both of the inner garment of character and the outer garment of circumstance.
James Allen

Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Temperance was the next topic of Pythagoras' discourses. Since the desires are most flourishing during youth, this is the time when control must be effective. While temperance alone is universal in its application to all ages, boy, virgin, woman, or the aged, yet this special virtue is particularly applicable to youth. Moreover, this virtue alone applied universally to all goods, those of body and soul, preserving both the health, and studiousness.
Iamblichus

Old 07-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
We need to be careful about our every thought. If every thought is wholesome, then our lives will be brighter.
Master Hsuan Hua

Old 08-03-2019, 07:37 AM

Default Benefit from Calmness

An example of the karmic effect of angry words on a calm, peaceful person:

Quote:
I have heard that on one occasion the Buddha was staying near Rajagaha in the Bamboo Grove, the Squirrels' Sanctuary. Then the Brahmin Akkosaka ("Insulter") Bharadvaja heard that a Brahmin of the Bharadvaja clan had gone forth from the home life into homelessness in the presence of the Blessed One. Angered and displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted and cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him: "What do you think, Brahmin: Do friends and colleagues, relatives and kinsmen come to you as guests?"

"Yes, Master Gautama, sometimes friends and colleagues, relatives and kinsmen come to me as guests."

"And what do you think: Do you serve them with staple and non-staple foods and delicacies?"

"Yes, sometimes I serve them with staple and non-staple foods and delicacies."

"And if they don't accept them, to whom do those foods belong?"

"If they don't accept them, Master Gautama, those foods are all mine."

"In the same way, Brahmin, that with which you have insulted me, who is not insulting; that with which you have taunted me, who is not taunting; that with which you have berated me, who is not berating: that I don't accept from you. It's all yours, Brahmin. It's all yours.

"Whoever returns insult to one who is insulting, returns taunts to one who is taunting, returns a berating to one who is berating, is said to be eating together, sharing company, with that person. But I am neither eating together nor sharing your company, Brahmin. It's all yours. It's all yours."
From the Akkosa Sutta

Old 08-03-2019, 10:04 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
It just occurred to me that this is becoming a discussion withing the Buddhist 'Box' and might be better in the Buddhism section. R/S is more an area for discussion about the religions from within and without. Just a suggestion that you might consider relocation. Not Expressing disapproval, but a more profitable locale.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:12 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I don't even think it's even appropriate there. It has devolved into one poster just posting quotations with no discussion.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It just occurred to me that this is becoming a discussion withing the Buddhist 'Box' and might be better in the Buddhism section. R/S is more an area for discussion about the religions from within and without. Just a suggestion that you might consider relocation. Not Expressing disapproval, but a more profitable locale.

Look back at the previous four pages, the ratio of Buddhist quotes to non-Buddhist is very much in favor of the latter.

As for lack of discussion, am I supposed to supply the topics for discussion and the responses too?

Old 08-03-2019, 10:18 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Look back at the previous four pages, the ratio of Buddhist quotes to non-Buddhist is very much in favor of the latter.

As for lack of discussion, am I supposed to supply the topics for discussion and the responses too?
The quotations are fine...if you follow them up with some dialog.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The quotations are fine...if you follow them up with some dialog.
The follow up is your and other readers job. I will respond to questions and comments - as this present brilliant dialog reveals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality