Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:16 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
"A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet." ~Shakespear

Let's not dwell on existential/personality philosophy here, I already went down that road and it was disturbing (for the 5 minutes that it took me to get rid of my cognitive dissonance), then it was really liberating. Understanding one's true identity is a very beautiful thing.

The mind is inconstant/dynamic, the body is inconstant/dynamic, time itself is inconstant/dynamic... so are you your future self? Your present self? Your past self? You aren't your past self now, then how you you have been your present self then? You are not just your present self? How could that be? Like a river.
Or are we all at once? I've read several scientific studies that conclude that time may be an illusion -- that it's a human-created variable, used to measure other human-created variables. If that's true, our 'past' and 'future' self are just more human-created variables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Why can't that be the case?

If I call out to 'John Smith' and fourteen John Smiths respond, they will most likely look different, have different voices, be capable of different things -- but they're still all 'John Smith'. After all, a name is simply a label that's applied to a being by common consent.

Likewise, 'god' is almost universally defined as a divine being that is set apart from the common mortal. Most, if not all, are capable of divine action (both rewarding and punitive), and many of them are said to reside in some kind of other-dimensional 'paradise'. Given those criteria, it logically follows that one, most or all of them could be the same god-being.

That would be true if all the gods provided the same morals and rules. If they do not then how can they be the source of an universal and unchanging moral standard? Otherwise the claim that our morals came from a god because they never change would not be true. And yes it is as likely for there to be more than one god as there to be no god or if there is a god it is not the one in any religion. I am simply arguing against the claim of that we get our morals from the Bible and the God of the Bible.

If you claimed that we got our morals from John Smith and John Smith never changes his morals and yet there was a room full of other John Smiths that all had their own sense of morals, and different people claimed that different John Smiths were the ones whose morals they followed, where does that leave us?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:19 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Where'd you go inVIZ?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:29 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Or are we all at once? I've read several scientific studies that conclude that time may be an illusion -- that it's a human-created variable, used to measure other human-created variables. If that's true, our 'past' and 'future' self are just more human-created variables.
Well, [in terms of "who are this 'each other' thing"] I did think of that "all" answer. But only form an outside/kratoscient perspective could you be "all times at once." From the present perspective you definitely can't be your future selves. We don't look at a river and say: that river is what it was in the past and what it will be in the future. But we still understand that a river doesn't have a static present identity; in fact, though, that real identity of the river really is "all at once," but the present identity of the river is what it is.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:59 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
"If you can’t tell right from wrong without appealing to an authority or a sacred text, what you lack is not religion but compassion."
--Valerie Tarico

Simply put, if you need to consult a book to decide whether burning a person with cigarettes or beating a child is wrong, you are utter devoid of empathy. We hare a word for that: sociopath.
We all know that. The question is, where does our conscience come from? Atheists will say it developed, over time. Creationists will say it was put there by our creator. I am speaking generally, of course.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:11 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
that is correct.
time is an artificial construct.
the only thing that is "real" is what is happening now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality