Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. I don't claim to be able to determine what is and is not moral. I'm not that arrogant. Have you paid attention at all to what I've said?
You are merely deluding yourself here Vizio, you'd feel bad otherwise. But you use the Bible version you choose (along with prayer and other blind guesswork) for Divination of what is moral, no?

What are you claiming here, that none of us can "truly, truly know what is true" then? How could your Yahweh (supposed Lord of Armies/Force/Jealousy Creator and Allower of Evil) ever claim to know it all, when it might not, and not know it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 11:46 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
I have as yet to be told by anyone how the atheist that "does it for one another" is any more moral in their worldview than the guy that rapes and pillages. What determines that judgement?
I guess that all those around you must be happy that you have your Bible. I mean if you need to be told that shoveling the snow for an elderly neighbour is good but raping a four year old girl is bad it is a good thing to have it written down for you. Most of us know that without it having to be explained to us, however you refuse to accept any explanation other than it having been written down in your special book. Apparently having to read it in the special book makes you moral, just behaving like a compassionate caring person is not moral unless one is following that special book. Now just where does 8t say that one should not own slaves? Where does it say you should allow ambulances to be able to pass you when their lights on on? I bet you would allow them to pass even if it wasn't the law because that is the moral thing to do.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Hallelujah! You just admitted it! You have no proof that what you have is the correct standard!
*Plunks down the big metal 'E'*

You have no proof that your standard is 'correct', either.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
*Plunks down the big metal 'E'*

You have no proof that your standard is 'correct', either.
Or even if his god is the correct god, if there is one.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:58 PM

22,141 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Or even if his god is the correct god, if there is one.
You say your name is badlander. But some call you Robert. Or daddy. Or papa. Or uncle. Or sweetheart. Or honey bunch. Or grandfather. Or supervisor. Or boss. Or accountant. Or troublemaker. Or chairman. Or little brother. Which is the correct you? Or do you even exist at all?

Old 03-26-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
You say your name is badlander. But some call you Robert. Or daddy. Or papa. Or uncle. Or sweetheart. Or honey bunch. Or grandfather. Or supervisor. Or boss. Or accountant. Or troublemaker. Or chairman. Or little brother. Which is the correct you? Or do you even exist at all?
Badlander is not my name but the handle I use here.

Are you telling me that your God, the Norse gods and goddesses, all the Hindu gods and every person are all the same character? Vizio claims that he gets his morals because they are given to him by God. Do you get your morals from Allah, Odin or the Great Creator?

It matters not to me that you might not know if I exist, I am not the one telling people they must do as I say if they wish to be moral. For others to be moral people it does not matter if I do even exist. For most people to be moral it does not matter if any of the gods to exist. That is my opinion.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:51 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I was listening to comedian Pete Holmes on NPR today. He grew up an evangelical Christian who is now practicing a more liberal form of the faith. He says that most of his friends are atheists now. Here is the link to the interview, and below that I've copied something that he learned from his atheist friends.

What do you think? Personally, I think it was beautifully stated.

Comic Pete Holmes Draws On His Early Career And 'Churchy' Roots In 'Crashing' : NPR

Part of the process was seeing the rich and true morality of my atheist friends. ... I went from a lot of Christian friends to almost exclusively atheist friends. And I remember — this isn't that crazy of a story, but it was huge to me — I was on the road with a couple of comedians, one of them was T.J., and they were both atheists and we're in this hotel and it had one of those mini-marts ... but they're always unattended. And just said to them, "No one's here. If there's no God, why don't ... I just take these M&Ms?"

And T.J. was like, "Because we're doing it for one another. It's not to please some god somewhere else who's mad when you steal M&Ms; you're doing it so the woman who is not at the counter doesn't get fired when they count the M&Ms and count the cash."

I started to see that you didn't need a fear model to be beautifully compassionate and kind to one another.
A moral person is a person that understands that the universe does not revolve around their ego.

A civilized society is a society whose laws do not revolve around any one person or group of people.

The more a society treats everyone as equals the more civilized it is.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:57 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Are you telling me that your God, the Norse gods and goddesses, all the Hindu gods and every person are all the same character?
Why can't that be the case?

If I call out to 'John Smith' and fourteen John Smiths respond, they will most likely look different, have different voices, be capable of different things -- but they're still all 'John Smith'. After all, a name is simply a label that's applied to a being by common consent.

Likewise, 'god' is almost universally defined as a divine being that is set apart from the common mortal. Most, if not all, are capable of divine action (both rewarding and punitive), and many of them are said to reside in some kind of other-dimensional 'paradise'. Given those criteria, it logically follows that one, most or all of them could be the same god-being.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
"If you can’t tell right from wrong without appealing to an authority or a sacred text, what you lack is not religion but compassion."
--Valerie Tarico

Simply put, if you need to consult a book to decide whether burning a person with cigarettes or beating a child is wrong, you are utter devoid of empathy. We hare a word for that: sociopath.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet." ~Shakespear

Let's not dwell on existential/personality philosophy here, I already went down that road and it was disturbing (for the 5 minutes that it took me to get rid of my cognitive dissonance), then it was really liberating. Understanding one's true identity is a very beautiful thing.

The mind is inconstant/dynamic, the body is inconstant/dynamic, time itself is inconstant/dynamic... so are you your future self? Your present self? Your past self? You aren't your past self now, then how you you have been your present self then? You are not just your present self? How could that be? Like a river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality