Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 03:35 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
On another forum in a galaxy far, far away, there was a Christian that I used to argue with all the time. Through are constant arguing, we actually became pretty good online friends ... and then just friends in the true sense of the word. We actually became rather close.
To be clear, when I answer questions like "are we guided" or "does prayer work?" I look what is going on around us. I do "levels and rows", not "this or that" and black and white."

Their is no god of the bible pointing his finger and moving stuff around. We would see those interactions. Praying for a lolly pop is an indicator of mental state. Because we are all people, many Atheist have red flag claims too.

The formulas we use to describe many of the event around us work. They work because of patterns in nature. Various methods that help a person Settle down ones brain work. That's where my lines of logic start. I don't start at anti religion or some imaginary god. I start at what we have around us that is real.

How many times can we say 'coincident" before its a less a valid claim to say "Just pure coincident". I heard that word like 8 times in a show about evolution in three and a half minutes. that doesn't mean 'god". But it means "something" is going on past "just us"

I also am not afraid to say at some point its not "pure coincident" because it gives theist wiggle room. Like you point out. "how the universe works" is truth. I don't care what "emotion" one is married to until they tell me that emotional need (or non meaning) is what we all should be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 06:06 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Even if one were to argue that, "Aha! You disappeared from the forum thus keeping your friend and his wife together, so perhaps God is working to keep them together still," I would say no. While I'm sure his feelings for me were genuine, wanting to run off with me was only part of the issue. Sure, I would love to strut around and say, "Muahaha I'm so awesome that I overwhelmed a man's love for his wife," I can't and won't say that. It was quite obvious to me that whatever love they may have had had gone rather stale and my friend was desperate to get out of his marriage. If it hadn't been me, it would have been someone else -- and no doubt, sooner or later, there WILL be a someone else, someone who might not mind stealing a father away from his children. And "poof" goes all of my friend's nonsense about how God created that string of misfortunes so he could meet, and later marry, his soulmate.
Another explanation is that your friend was addicted to the IDEA of falling in love, which explains his narrative about how he met his wife, AND his falling for you mere months later. The bloom always wears off of cathexis, leaving whatever is REALLY there in terms of commitment.

Some people could fall in love with anyone who fits a template for some rescue narrative or a narrative where they're the hero or something or whatever. For awhile.

You sure did the right thing there ... even for yourself.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:07 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Once is chance. Twice is a coincidence. Three or more times means Someone is knocking at your door.

I am sure the atheists here will say even if it happens a 1000 times it means nothing.
But 1001 times, maybe its coincidence.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:22 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Not sure if this the right forum, but here goes --

I am an agnostic, but it seems to me in looking over my 63-years-so-far life, that is something is meant to be, achieving or getting it is easy, and if it not meant to be, there are obstacles put in my path.

To give an example of something bad: If I am about to go on a vacation, but then I have trouble getting time off, I have an unexpected large repair bill the week before I am set to go (meaning less spending money), and then I develop a bad headache at the last minute, but I decide to go anyway -- I will end up having a lousy time and being sorry I went.

To give an example of something good: if I am just thinking about getting a puppy and on the way home from work the next day, I see a "Free Puppies" sign by a large cage with puppies in it, I fall in love with one of them, and she turns out to be the best non-human companion of my entire life.

So, do you thinks things like that are just coincidence or not?

P.S. The reason I asked for the opinions of atheists and agnostics is because it seems to me that many Christians say that Jesus/God is ALWAYS personally responsible for one's good luck or bad, and I personally just don't believe that.

Given the way the human mind works, the senses of vision and hearing, and the innumerable possible ways that a coincidence can be thought of (the multitude of ways to link two things, two events, an event and a thing, a part thing and event etc etc.) it would be very, very weird if coincidences never happened. On top of that, billions of non-coincidences happen in your life every day also. But you will pay no mind to the non-coincidences whatsoever. Its very easy to see something as a coincidence, and in fact the human brain, and monkey brains and other complex brains seek out patterns. Coincidences are one of those patterns, and only need a very loose definition to be included as such.

btw, Christians are just one of the ideologies out there. Atheists don't really define themselves in relation to Christians, any more than they define themselves in relation to Zoroastrians, native American religions, Muslims, Hindus etc. Its not relevant.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:34 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,636,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I meant it more of an illusion. I can't speak for him, but I think he meant more of a delusion. An illusion is there but it is something different than we think it is. "the face" in the fire is there its just not a human face. just as fire seems to be a "thing". The fire is not a "thing", it is a set of events. Simply put, Electrons settling down to a lower energy level releasing a photons.
hmm. it is that, but it is also a powerful metaphor, it even has a spirit as such, so maybe that should get thrown in there somewhere too

Old 11-04-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
hmm. it is that, but it is also a powerful metaphor, it even has a spirit as such, so maybe that should get thrown in there somewhere too
yes, metaphors are powerful. So powerful, in fact that, if we do not lock our lines of logic in what we can observe the metaphor can mislead us.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Another explanation is that your friend was addicted to the IDEA of falling in love, which explains his narrative about how he met his wife, AND his falling for you mere months later. The bloom always wears off of cathexis, leaving whatever is REALLY there in terms of commitment.

Some people could fall in love with anyone who fits a template for some rescue narrative or a narrative where they're the hero or something or whatever. For awhile.

You sure did the right thing there ... even for yourself.
"addiction", levels and rows here fits like a glove, "addiction" is more than guided, addictions decides how one interact with his/her surroundings.

"fits template", predictable ... means guided.

"right" or "wrong" is a matter of personal opinion. That in it self fits a template I understand and use to predict expressions of belief and/or behaviors often. Correctly making predictions means guided. at least not "unguided".

Old 11-04-2016, 04:00 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Their is no god of the bible pointing his finger and moving stuff around. We would see those interactions. Praying for a lolly pop is an indicator of mental state. Because we are all people, many Atheist have red flag claims too.
Well, I should clarify my point, I guess, because I really didn't do it in my original post. Sometimes my posts get too long and I just want to end them ... and not everything I meant to say gets said.

Thus ... I only used an incident with a Christian as an example and, because it involved a Christian, my example involved talking about a "god" doing the steering, controlling, and maneuvering.

However, that was ... well ... *ahem* coincidental. It just so happened to be the best example I could think of, and using an example was much easier than simply trying to explain everything straight-up like a textbook. (Gee, don't people like my awesome stories about my life, anyway? *sniff*)

We can just as easily toss out gods and religion and merely talk about fate, destiny, the currents of life, or whatever that "something" may be and we're still going to run into the same problem of 20/20 hindsight and placing more meaning on one group of coincidences because it led to something BIG while ignoring perhaps an even more amazing group of coincidences that led to nothing.

Quote:
The formulas we use to describe many of the event around us work. They work because of patterns in nature. Various methods that help a person Settle down ones brain work. That's where my lines of logic start. I don't start at anti religion or some imaginary god. I start at what we have around us that is real.
My point wasn't to be anti-religious, really, but to alert us to the fact that humans are pattern-forming creatures. Damn, but we are GOOD at it. Too good, in fact, because we see patterns where none exist quite often. I see this a lot when dealing with conspiracy theory loons LOL!

Quote:
How many times can we say 'coincident" before its a less a valid claim to say "Just pure coincident". I heard that word like 8 times in a show about evolution in three and a half minutes. that doesn't mean 'god". But it means "something" is going on past "just us"
Well, in terms of evolution, I really don't see anything all that astounding about the coincidences. Again, it only seems astounding because it led to humans, right? No one is oohing and aahing over the coincidences that led to cats or donkeys or tadpoles. No doubt there are planets elsewhere where evolution led to an intelligent species very different from us ... and that will have been a completely different chain of coincidences.

Quote:
I also am not afraid to say at some point its not "pure coincident" because it gives theist wiggle room.
That's not the reason why I don't make the claim that it's not pure coincidence. In fact, I never even thought of that until you brought it up.

Quote:
Like you point out. "how the universe works" is truth. I don't care what "emotion" one is married to until they tell me that emotional need (or non meaning) is what we all should be doing.
The only point I will concede is that many times in my life it sure did feel like I was funneled somewhere through a chain of bizarre happenstances. Whenever you happen to be in the right place at the right time, especially if you weren't supposed to be there to begin with and a series of unforeseen events knocked your day off course, can really give the illusion that "something" is nudging, guiding, or even shoving you into a nexus point -- that point in time where those events converge into the final "this is what the whole day was about" super-prize.

And you think to yourself, "Wow, if I hadn't lost my keys I wouldn't have been 10 minutes late, and being 10 minutes late caused me to get into the accident with the dump truck, which allowed me to meet my insurance agent, whom I married 6 months later!"

But it is, I'm afraid, only an illusion.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:20 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,636,810 times
Quote:
yes, metaphors are powerful. So powerful, in fact that, if we do not lock our lines of logic in what we can observe the metaphor can mislead us.
Hmm. Can you give me an example? Because this seems to suggest to me to trust in appearances, in a way that i am uncomfortable with; when i know you mean to know them by their fruit, but i would just like for the diff to come out.

I could give an example after if you like; and i intentionally tip my hand here, notice. But i doubt i will need to.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Hmm. Can you give me an example? Because this seems to suggest to me to trust in appearances, in a way that i am uncomfortable with; when i know you mean to know them by their fruit, but i would just like for the diff to come out.

I could give an example after if you like; and i intentionally tip my hand here, notice. But i doubt i will need to.
yeah, you should be uncomfortable. I raced motocross in my day, we always said, if you aint "uncomfortable" you are going down. to a degree right? fear is a mind killer.

if the experiment is repeated by anybody, anywhere, no matter what they believe, that particular "appearance" is reality for us. Its the best we can do.

its ok to not trust what we know today, in fact, its a requirement for killing ignorance. we call it "education", the lesson of the cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality