Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:08 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
you can't always get what you want; but if you try sometime, you might find you get what you need
the universe speaks to us in so many ways ...
that is a timeless message.
that band is timeless.

well, until we lose the backups that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 06:50 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
guided is not led to me. "fate", if you work hard and keep doing the next right thing your life will be ok. usually. thats fate. Keep giving welfare and the next generation will need wellfare ... that's fate.

"Patterns in random", the more we learn the more patterns there are. Nothing we can do about that observation. it is what it is. to deby it is silly. To try and hide it (mordrant) is flat out deceitful.

"meaning", is a personal opinion. "meaningless" is personal opinion. Naybe even the right one for some people. If people need a "god" to be moral that tells me something about being human. But then again, I don't speed because of police. I don't steal because I am taking something from another person, but I don't speed because of police.
Don't confuse Law with ethics or science with seeing faces in the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
you can't always get what you want; but if you try sometime, you might find you get what you need
On the other hand, more often - if you try - you get what you want, and then you find it was the last thing you needed.

One thing you need is reasoning, not song lyrics, as a guide to life.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Don't confuse Law with ethics or science with seeing faces in the fire.

believe me, the law and ethics have never been so far apart as they are today in the USA.

anti religion and covering up any commonsense conclusion that counters "lack belief in anything" because it helps "them there theist" are two different intentions. The end does not always justify the means. again, its sometimes true ... no matter how we feel about it.

If the face is there, the face is there. That's where the lines of logic start. no "christian god", no "lack belief in anything", just start with what we have. What we see around us is better described as "alive" than it is "non life".

Old 11-01-2016, 10:06 AM
bpb

46 posts, read 53,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am sure the atheists here will say even if it happens a 1000 times it means nothing.
On the way to work today a car to my right decided to change into my lane while I was right next to him. Since I don't have near collisions everyday, how should I interpret this minor event?

I'm asking this apart from any statement of Christian belief or atheism. What does a single event mean? Nothing. It is just something that is happening or happened.

I do believe that only the most illogical people want to ascribe meaning to things that have no meaning. Quit searching. Whatever you're looking for isn't represented by a "bad day."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
*Sigh.*

Even when I was a hard-core evangelical Christian I never saw trivial coincidences like that as the work of the Christian God or other supernatural agents.

Improbable things happen.

Doesn't He have something better to do than watch us fumble through life? It's ludicrous, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
No. Even as a Christian, I thought it was silly to think God would micromanage life to this level. What all powerful, all knowing force could possibly give a **** if I go on a vacation? That does't make any sense at all. ...
"Hmmm, skepticratic decided to visit Cozumel this year. Well, that's two HeavenBucks they lost."

For someone so omnipotent, it sure seems a distraction to have to play SimUniverse with 7+billion sentient beings (plus what-/who-ever else is out there). It just seems time would be better spent eradicating disease or something constructive.

Edit: Look at that - this post is my 42nd post. And we all know what 42 is the answer to.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:50 AM

1,333 posts, read 882,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
On the way to work today a car to my right decided to change into my lane while I was right next to him. Since I don't have near collisions everyday, how should I interpret this minor event?

I'm asking this apart from any statement of Christian belief or atheism. What does a single event mean? Nothing. It is just something that is happening or happened.
I think God wants you to buy a new car before he strikes yours down.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:43 PM

15,851 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

One thing you need is reasoning, not song lyrics, as a guide to life.
When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
Joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
Logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
Clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world's asleep,
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me who I am.

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
Liberal, fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
Acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!

*challenge accepted

Old 11-01-2016, 04:17 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,637,017 times
Quote:
guided is not led to me. "fate", if you work hard and keep doing the next right thing your life will be ok. usually. thats fate. Keep giving welfare and the next generation will need wellfare ... that's fate.

"Patterns in random", the more we learn the more patterns there are. Nothing we can do about that observation. it is what it is. to deby it is silly. To try and hide it (mordrant) is flat out deceitful.

"meaning", is a personal opinion. "meaningless" is personal opinion. Naybe even the right one for some people. If people need a "god" to be moral that tells me something about being human. But then again, I don't speed because of police. I don't steal because I am taking something from another person, but I don't speed because of police.
nice. guided is not led, ya.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
believe me, the law and ethics have never been so far apart as they are today in the USA.

anti religion and covering up any commonsense conclusion that counters "lack belief in anything" because it helps "them there theist" are two different intentions. The end does not always justify the means. again, its sometimes true ... no matter how we feel about it.

If the face is there, the face is there. That's where the lines of logic start. no "christian god", no "lack belief in anything", just start with what we have. What we see around us is better described as "alive" than it is "non life".

i get "faces in the fire," was it maybe reflecting "strange fire" that he meant? that you meant? sir? that he meant? Because that is a good-sounding law...but Moses talked to the face in the fire, yes?

Old 11-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post

I do believe that only the most illogical people want to ascribe meaning to things that have no meaning. Quit searching. Whatever you're looking for isn't represented by a "bad day."

Doesn't He have something better to do than watch us fumble through life? It's ludicrous, really.

"Hmmm, skepticratic decided to visit Cozumel this year. Well, that's two HeavenBucks they lost."

For someone so omnipotent, it sure seems a distraction to have to play SimUniverse with 7+billion sentient beings (plus what-/who-ever else is out there). It just seems time would be better spent eradicating disease or something constructive.

Edit: Look at that - this post is my 42nd post. And we all know what 42 is the answer to.

why did the quote lead me to here? i don't see the quote!
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...Wtgk%5B1-25%5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

*challenge accepted

Old 11-01-2016, 09:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
Joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
Logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
Clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world's asleep,
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man.
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me who I am.

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
Liberal, fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
Acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!

*challenge accepted
An all-time fave.

Too soon etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality