Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:58 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,977 times

Advertisements

Actually, usually snarkiness develops as a defense mechanism. That said, God wouldn't mind. God would probably be snarky too.

By the way, you may be surprised at how God looks. Classical paintings describe God as some old dude, but from my experience (don't ask about my experience, it's a long story) the below is more likely to be true.

Also, Fullmetal Alchemist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUXZFfZmerE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PRSchbUMW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul2qOfUsIDo

Which says scores about Jack Chick and his followers. People who tell you to "forgive" a drunk who killed your mom and buys beer instead of food for groceries, but has no forgiveness to people who have good hearts, but get led astray by "rock and roll". What? A loving God would give people a chance, right? Nah "You got it wrong, now you're stuck here."

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2008/09/...f_hellfire.php

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 02-12-2015 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 AM

10,525 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Darn it, so many great posts in this thread that I can't rep.
Fun thread - working out what we'd say to god or how god would react to said questions, or if he even cares, or what kind or character god is, if any. The possibilities are... infinite.
The funniest thing to me is the image that these Pearly Gates actually exist and we're all lined up waiting to tell god what we think - just has me giggling to myself at the absurdity.

I think Bulmabriefs is right, it's a great thread to reflect exactly what our interpretation of god would be if he existed. And that's exactly what Fry was doing. Priceless.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
To continue your analogy, if the 6 month old weeps and wails at the seemingly gratuitous pain, how is that different from what Fry did in the interview? What is your response as a parent -- to take offense and cast the child out the window to teach him a lesson? Or do you love him anyway? Do you comfort him and thus communicate as best you can that you have his best interests at heart and will explain it someday when he is able to understand?

A 6 month old child is simply being honest about its perceptions and feelings. Fry was doing no less. Neither one should have anything to fear from a god worth worshipping, and the idea that one must walk on eggshells lest one be impertinent, is in itself telling of the sort of god we think we worship.

And to add to that, its not just about being impertinent it's also about telling the truth. God would know surely that Fry was lying if he suddenly came over all fawning and reverential.
There again we have no idea what gods choice would be - respect for the truth or get down on your knees and worship me.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,705 times
"I’d say, ‘Bone cancer in children? What’s that about?’” he began.
“’How dare you? How dare you create a world to which there is such misery that is not our fault,” Fry continued. “It’s not right, it’s utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid God who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?’ That’s what I would say.”

And that's why God would say to those like him "Depart from me you wicked......" How dare you claim to not even acknowledge him. And then when you are met face to face and it hits you full force that there is indeed a creator of the universe, much more powerful and intelligent than you, all you can do is spew arrogant accusations out of your mouth? It reminds me what people claimed they would say to the drill instructor/drill sergeant once they arrived at boot camp, then when it actually happened that all fell apart.....

Old 02-12-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
“’How dare you? How dare you create a world to which there is such misery that is not our fault,” Fry continued. “It’s not right, it’s utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid God who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?’ That’s what I would say.”

And that's why God would say to those like him "Depart from me you wicked......" How dare you claim to not even acknowledge him. And then when you are met face to face and it hits you full force that there is indeed a creator of the universe, much more powerful and intelligent than you, all you can do is spew arrogant accusations out of your mouth? It reminds me what people claimed they would say to the drill instructor/drill sergeant once they arrived at boot camp, then when it actually happened that all fell apart.....

Depart from me you wicked.....what?
What are you saying?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:52 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post

Listen to yourself. You are literally cowering in fear of an Invisible Man who is (according to you) much like a military dictator or an all-powerful schoolyard bully. You are literally terrified of an imaginary being. And you apparently wish to inspire that same fear in others.

Think about that.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
To continue your analogy, if the 6 month old weeps and wails at the seemingly gratuitous pain, how is that different from what Fry did in the interview? What is your response as a parent -- to take offense and cast the child out the window to teach him a lesson? Or do you love him anyway? Do you comfort him and thus communicate as best you can that you have his best interests at heart and will explain it someday when he is able to understand?

A 6 month old child is simply being honest about its perceptions and feelings. Fry was doing no less. Neither one should have anything to fear from a god worth worshipping, and the idea that one must walk on eggshells lest one be impertinent, is in itself telling of the sort of god we think we worship.
Good point. We all do what we're mentally and emotionally equipped to do when faced with frustrating situations we have no control over. To quote Dr. Phil (who, granted, can be an arrogant SOB at times): "Anger is nothing more than an outward expression of hurt, fear and frustration." To me, this applies in the situation described.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:17 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I like Stephen Fry, very funny and intelligent guy, but being a fan of Norwich City i have to wonder.
Maybe God will answer Stephen with ....... How could your mind be so corrupt that you think i would do such a thing, if the best of you lot down there on earth would never consider doing such a thing, why would you accuse me of such a damnable thing?.
Then Stephen asks....... Why did you allow it then ?.
Based on my experiences (I know . . . useful only to me) . . . the encounter will be a direct immersion and your thoughts and questions will arrive automatically in your consciousness. The idea of "confrontation" would simply not be possible. The "knowing" simply would manifest within your consciousness. The likeliest reaction you would have is "Oh . . . so THAT'S it." I suspect your most pressing questions would be dealt with first, etc. The immense joy of love and acceptance will blunt any hint of anger or snarkiness. But that's just me speaking from my confirmation bias.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:14 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Outspoken Atheist Asked What He’d Say to God After Death, Discovering ‘It’s All True.’ His Answer Throws the Interviewer for a Loop.

British comedian, actor and author Stephen Fry — a hardline atheist — appeared on a spiritually minded TV show and was asked by the host what he’d say after death, discovering that God really does exist.

“Suppose it’s all true, and you walk up to the pearly gates, and are confronted by God,” the host asked. “What will Stephen Fry say to him, her, or it?”

Outspoken Atheist Asked What He’d Say to God After Death, Discovering ‘It’s All True.’ His Answer Throws the Interviewer for a Loop. | Video | TheBlaze.com
Yeah...chumps like this nitwit make these big blustery claims...but they are just showing themselves to be complete idiots.

I've dealt with the same thing from people on this very board. MOF it was one of the first things I responded to years ago: https://www.city-data.com/forum/14337369-post29.html

See, if "It's All True"--then so is HELL. That guy wouldn't say squat if he was in that situation, let alone get all uppity and insulting with God! He'd get right to the bowing and groveling in total fealty real quick if he was faced with the choice of "serving God" or "burning in eternal torment for all eternity with no chance of reprieve". People that talk like this fool are as ignorant as it gets.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:24 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yeah...chumps like this nitwit make these big blustery claims...but they are just showing themselves to be complete idiots.

I've dealt with the same thing from people on this very board. MOF it was one of the first things I responded to years ago: https://www.city-data.com/forum/14337369-post29.html

See, if "It's All True"--then so is HELL. That guy wouldn't say squat if he was in that situation, let alone get all uppity and insulting with God! He'd get right to the bowing and groveling in total fealty real quick if he was faced with the choice of "serving God" or "burning in eternal torment for all eternity with no chance of reprieve". People that talk like this fool are as ignorant as it gets.
People who refer to Stephen Fry as a fool and ignorant are betraying their own foolish ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality