Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:51 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,102,359 times

Advertisements

It's a reasonable question. But he's not the first to say something like this.

What I'd love to know is how God would respond. That would be the moment of truth. Would he explain himself; admit he made some mistake or that he's not as all powerful as we'd like to think. Or would he just send Fry to Hell and not listen to an honest question that is full of compassion and humanity.

If there is a god, I desperately hope his answers politely as explains himself and does't just punish the evil blasphemer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 11:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,721,458 times
Many who believe in the Christian mythos hold to the contention that God is not necessarily compassionate and does not necessarily behave in a manner reasonable humans would consider moral. Instead, they support and promulgate a belief in God wherein God is vengeful and terrible, though they would generally abjure such characterizations.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
With a surname like "Fry" ... you have to wonder if his future wasn't already predetermined ....
Some of my relatives on my sister's side are surnamed 'Baker'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Many who believe in the Christian mythos hold to the contention that God is not necessarily compassionate and does not necessarily behave in a manner reasonable humans would consider moral. Instead, they support and promulgate a belief in God wherein God is vengeful and terrible, though they would generally abjure such characterizations.
In some ways it makes things simpler. It requires stronger elements of denial, but they are at least a lot simpler to shore up.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-07-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It's a reasonable question. But he's not the first to say something like this.

What I'd love to know is how God would respond. That would be the moment of truth. Would he explain himself; admit he made some mistake or that he's not as all powerful as we'd like to think. Or would he just send Fry to Hell and not listen to an honest question that is full of compassion and humanity.

If there is a god, I desperately hope his answers politely as explains himself and does't just punish the evil blasphemer.
That is a very good question. How would God react?

Reasonably? 'Well, the fact is that I am not as all knowing and omnipotent as my believers suppose..'

Offended? 'Well I gave you life, morals, hurricanes, plague, and this is all the thanks I get...'

angry? 'How dare you cheek your god! Into blazes with you!' (my money's on that one. It's what I suspect most Christians would do - or would want to - even if Jesus wouldn't).

Cynical? 'I'm God. I can do what I like. If you complain, there's hellfire waiting...you withdraw your complaint? Wise decision...' Bastard.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:07 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,624,165 times
I would ask, coffee, or tea? Milk, or cream?

Old 02-07-2015, 12:46 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,221,381 times
Well done my faithful trusted servant, enter in...

Servitude is just another form of slavery. It is obvious when you have been weaned off the koolaide just how much of a Richard-head this imaginary gawd is. They invented jesus to tone down the capricious OT version but failed to tone it down enough to warrant any sort of real respect.

Christianity is a major suck up in the real life with a 24/infinity of the same in the afterlife. Thank the imaginary gods, there is no such thing and we all return to the cosmic dust from whence we came.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:52 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,329,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd inquire why he couldnt have eliminated all this pain/suffering and death and just made us energy beings from the start.

because life itself it simply a test

Old 02-07-2015, 01:34 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd inquire why he couldnt have eliminated all this pain/suffering and death and just made us energy beings from the start.
Yeah . . . you mean like . . . "why bother with the whole tree thing to get apples?" . . . and such. Riiiiight!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 PM

2,626 posts, read 3,420,278 times
But if this concept of "God" is real and he knows all things, then he already knows beforehand (and has always known for all eternity past . . . even before we were each conceived and formed) everything that each single one of us, and everyone before us and everyone to follow us, would ever think and not think, every behavior we would ever engage in and not engage in, every feeling & emotion & allegiance we would ever have and not have and how our thinking and hearts would evolve over the entire span of our individual lives. So why would we ever be in a situation where we would be ultimately "judged" as traditional Christianity (for instance) puts forth? It can be said that, if said "God" is the only creator entity and always has been & then he has always known exactly how every single thing would transpire every single moment over the entire course of time from the beginning-onward and every single detail about it all, then it is an inescapable conclusion that he pre-determined everything (that is, every single detail was planned out by him beforehand and is playing out exactly as he willed it to in eternity past). For how can it be said by Christian theologians that he is the one and only supreme creator of all that is and that he is omniscient (knowing everything about everything and that this has always been so for him) and then avoid concluding that however history has turned out and will turn out since he started creation (and every single detail of that history) is ALL by a plan coming from his own mind? In other words, how can it be avoided concluding that God scripted (in eternity past) ever single detail of the entire content of our lives from beginning to end and that therefore we are ALL operating by a script that he pre-wrote? And therefore this inescapably says that God himself is entirely responsible for how every single thing transpires over the entire course of time regarding each and every one of us.

The above is such an utterly absurd conclusion that we inescapably come to (for the standard rules of logic dictate such a conclusion) but it is an inescapable conclusion that must be reached when we are bound by the definitions that theists (particularly thinking of traditional Christianity here) use in describing this alleged mindful supreme entity which they give the name of "God". It shows you how absurd the whole God concept is precisely as defined by traditional Christianity. Whether there still is some type of god or gods anyway but not exactly as traditional Christianity defines it is not being debated here by myself (that is another issue). If going by their definitions and their narrative, the logical conclusions are inescapable and are not what they expect to be the conclusions that would be reached. But they are defeated by their own logic (or perhaps it should be more accurately termed as "illogic"). They portray themselves as intelligent thinking people and yet they seem most oftentimes incapable of grasping the intellectual deadend or corner that they paint themselves into by describing the characteristics of this entity which they give the name of "God" and then the narrative that they put forth about how said God operates and how human affairs will transpire according to their offered narrative. They don't seem to follow the whole thread of logic through to its logical conclusions when being defined by the terms and conditions that they themselves set forth. Is it that they can't truly figure out the logic (or illogic) of their own offered logic? Perhaps they each need to take a full course (or two or three) in philosophical logic to strengthen their thinking skills. I myself have had a collection of courses in philosophy at the university level while pursuing my degree (including courses in logic).

Last edited by UsAll; 02-10-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 07:16 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,143,457 times
What the duck is wrong with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality