Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,250,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't hate Christians.

I hate bigoted bullies. It's just that here on CD, most of them claim to be Christians.
So stop the bullying, Dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 12:19 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,955,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Really?

So what do you call it when Abraham was ordered to take his son up the mountain, bound him, laid him on an offering rock, and was a millisecond away from running a knife through his son's heart? Isaac was terrified, and yet the god of Abraham had no qualms about Isaac living with that terror.
Isaac knew his Father and trusted Him. Isaac was tested, and Isaac passed the test.

Quote:
Yeah, I would be concerned that every child and every baby, other than the virgins of course, had evil conditions in their hearts. Of COURSE that is the reason, I mean, why would we even question those evil babies, some of them just born. What horrible, horrible kids they must have been to earn the god of Abraham's wrath
You should read the book of Jude. It's a very short book, and I would recommend it to you.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Of course it is good and correct. After all, if you are harming someone else, what you are doing is wrong. If it doesn't feel good when you do something, obviously it at the very least concerns you. And if your not harming any one or yourself, anything you do is wonderful.

And of course it should apply to everyone. It is only a slight variation of the golden rule, which is actually a pretty good bible teaching.

Unlike the teaching of how to beat slaves that Jesus gives.

So because you think it's good, it's good? Why?

Old 08-16-2014, 12:20 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,955,645 times
Quote:
Another non-answer from the usual suspects.
It's an answer, just not an answer that suits your argument

Old 08-16-2014, 12:21 PM

135 posts, read 128,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry...you seemed to state that you knew what morality is. If you don't know, the rest of the discussion is pointless.

I'd like for you to define it first, if you would. You're the one that made the original post talking about it.

Give me your definition first, please.
I know the definition as well as the next person so it's not pointless. Furthermore no one knows if God exists or not so would that make this entire forum pointless?

How many definitions do you want? My OP provided a definition that I beleive to be appropriate. That was not enough so I provided neutral definition in online dictionaries that do not contradict what I provided in any way that impacts the opening post.

I feel I've done enough to satisfy what you've asked but you have ignored what I stated regarding theists claims of morality. You also did not post your definition. You seem more interested in talking in circles and creating red herrings than having an honest discussion.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:22 PM

20,460 posts, read 12,853,568 times
Quote:
I don't hate Christians.

I hate bigoted bullies. It's just that here on CD, most of them claim to be Christians.

ETA: And if your all-everything deity had to kill everything and start over, then he was no all-everything deity. He simply could have made ALL those evil infants and bunnies and tulips turn good.

In other words, he was simply being evil because he felt like it.
Not if He gave them free will.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,284,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
It's an answer, just not an answer that suits your argument
It's a fundie-answer which is no answer at all.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not if He gave them free will.
Explain free will to an infant in the womb, or a bunny, or a tulip.

Your god murdered them all.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmas View Post
...snip... You seem more interested in talking in circles and creating red herrings than having an honest discussion.
That's Vizio's MO all right. And that of other fundavangelists.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmas View Post
I know the definition as well as the next person so it's not pointless. Furthermore no one knows if God exists or not so would that make this entire forum pointless?

How many definitions do you want? My OP provided a definition that I beleive to be appropriate. That was not enough so I provided neutral definition in online dictionaries that do not contradict what I provided in any way that impacts the opening post.

I feel I've done enough to satisfy what you've asked but you have ignored what I stated regarding theists claims of morality. You also did not post your definition. You seem more interested in talking in circles and creating red herrings than having an honest discussion.
So what is the definition of morality? Why do we believe your system over anyone else's? If you can't answer it, I understand. I'm quite used to people that like to rail on the Bible and call it immoral while being unable to define morality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality