Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 11:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
cor·rup·tion
kəˈrəpSHən/Submit
noun
dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery.
"the journalist who wants to expose corruption in high places"
synonyms: dishonesty, unscrupulousness, double-dealing, fraud, fraudulence, misconduct, crime, criminality, wrongdoing; More
antonyms: honesty
the action of making someone or something morally depraved or the state of being so.
"the word “addict” conjures up evil and corruption"
synonyms: immorality, depravity, vice, degeneracy, perversion, debauchery, dissoluteness, decadence, wickedness, evil, sin, sinfulness, ungodliness; formalturpitude
"his fall into corruption"
archaic
decay; putrefaction.
"the potato turned black and rotten with corruption"
the process by which something, typically a word or expression, is changed from its original use or meaning to one that is regarded as erroneous or debased.
synonyms: alteration, bastardization, debasement, adulteration
"these figures have been subject to corruption"
Another non-answer from the usual suspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:46 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,795,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You really don't know?

What about the direction to kill all the neighboring tribe, men, women, children and babies EXCEPT for the virgins, which could be kept for the men doing all the killing?

What about ordering the killing by stoning of recalcitrant children?

Killing again by stoning your neighbor for picking up sticks on the sabbath?

The list is long and horrible of how immoral the god of Abraham is. Encouraging human sacrifice, and then changing that order at the last minute, terrorizing the victim.

I could go on and on. That god of Abraham is a horrible, terrible, vindictive god.
That's why my hero is Marcion, a 2nd century heretic and the first person to assemble a biblical canon. Marcion's canon consisted of an edited version of Luke and a very few of epistles attributed to Paul. No Old Testament at all. Why? Because Marcion could not reconcile the God of the Old Testament with the message of Jesus.

Modern atheists are not the first to wonder about the nature of the god of the OT.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:50 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,933,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Encouraging human sacrifice? That's not what happened.
Really?

So what do you call it when Abraham was ordered to take his son up the mountain, bound him, laid him on an offering rock, and was a millisecond away from running a knife through his son's heart? Isaac was terrified, and yet the god of Abraham had no qualms about Isaac living with that terror.

Quote:
As to the rest I will say that we do not know the condition of the hearts of those that He destroyed. But He did. My testimony is that I have done some horrible things, terrible things to Him, yet he has forgiven me time and time again. I know that the mercy of God is real, because I've lived it. He is a kind God, a loving God, and slow to anger.

Having said all that, I will not deny that The God of Abraham is not someone that I would not want to mess with or play games with. Not at all.
Yeah, I would be concerned that every child and every baby, other than the virgins of course, had evil conditions in their hearts. Of COURSE that is the reason, I mean, why would we even question those evil babies, some of them just born. What horrible, horrible kids they must have been to earn the god of Abraham's wrath.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:56 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,209,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmas View Post
I'd appreciate if you did not attempt to put words in my mouth as I never claimed my definition was correct. Or was your use of quotations an accident? I did however state that I believe it is reasonable to sum it up in the way that I have. You can pick your choice of what Google seems to consider the most common definitions:
I'm sorry...you seemed to state that you knew what morality is. If you don't know, the rest of the discussion is pointless.
Quote:

Of course now you have to ask what is moral conduct for some of those to work.

Which basically comes down to what is right or wrong and good or bad. This is why I said it's reasonable to state that it is actions that have the most positive impact while having the least negative impact.

If you're trying to make the point that none of us can define morality then the word becomes useless and should stop being used. If that is the case then I should not have had to make this thread to begin with as it is in response to claims by many religious, Christians specifically, that their system is required to live a moral life.
I'd like for you to define it first, if you would. You're the one that made the original post talking about it.
Quote:
If that's not your point, and you do agree that a usable definition exists then present it and explain how it contradicts what I'm using. However you would then have to follow your own advice in justifying why we should accept your definition of morality.
Give me your definition first, please.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:00 PM

Hey Visio, try this one on for morality.

If it feels good, do it.

If what you do does not feel good or harms others, don't do it.

Simple.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Hey Visio, try this one on for morality.

If it feels good, do it.

If what you do does not feel good or harms others, don't do it.

Simple.
OK. Now why is that the morality that is good, or correct? Is that one that should apply to everyone? Why or why not?

Old 08-16-2014, 12:06 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
What did the infants in their mother's wombs do to send Yaweh into a murderous rage? Or the 6-month olds? How about the bunny rabbits? Why did your god kill all the bunnies?

And what was it about tulips that so enraged him that he had to destroy them?

You apologists just come up with the same old BS - "God made us. He can do whatever he wants and because he's god it's moral."

It's sickening.
The only source we have of this episode says the the world was pure evil. If left alone, the upcoming generation would have been the same. If the children had been spared, they likely would not have survived.

This is just an episode you Chritian-haters use to bash, without ever considering what actually took place.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
OK. Now why is that the morality that is good, or correct? Is that one that should apply to everyone? Why or why not?
Of course it is good and correct. After all, if you are harming someone else, what you are doing is wrong. If it doesn't feel good when you do something, obviously it at the very least concerns you. And if your not harming any one or yourself, anything you do is wonderful.

And of course it should apply to everyone. It is only a slight variation of the golden rule, which is actually a pretty good bible teaching.

Unlike the teaching of how to beat slaves that Jesus gives.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Really?

So what do you call it when Abraham was ordered to take his son up the mountain, bound him, laid him on an offering rock, and was a millisecond away from running a knife through his son's heart? Isaac was terrified, and yet the god of Abraham had no qualms about Isaac living with that terror.

How do you know Isaac was terrified?

Old 08-16-2014, 12:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The only source we have of this episode says the the world was pure evil. If left alone, the upcoming generation would have been the same. If the children had been spared, they likely would not have survived.

This is just an episode you Chritian-haters use to bash, without ever considering what actually took place.
I don't hate Christians.

I hate bigoted bullies. It's just that here on CD, most of them claim to be Christians.

ETA: And if your all-everything deity had to kill everything and start over, then he was no all-everything deity. He simply could have made ALL those evil infants and bunnies and tulips turn good.

In other words, he was simply being evil because he felt like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality