Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:11 AM

14 posts, read 33,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Have you found or do you want to start up a website/ forum for "Ex-followers" or Recovering followers?
That would be worthwhile for venting and warning others.
That's a great idea. I do want to start a website for that purpose. Im trying to get in touch with local investigation reporters. I wanna blow the lid on this evil scam! I think if we come together we can help our fellow brothers and sisters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 07:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayswondering View Post
That's a great idea. I do want to start a website for that purpose. Im trying to get in touch with local investigation reporters. I wanna blow the lid on this evil scam! I think if we come together we can help our fellow brothers and sisters.
Good luck ... I mean that.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Good luck ... I mean that.
Thank you, your support and others means a lot to me right now. I feel dazed and confused, as im coming out of a bad relationship.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayswondering View Post
Thank you! It took a lot to leave, i feel free finally. My friends and family who are wrapped still think im crazy.
yeah, your not. they can't see out side of the bubble. I never understood cults. I must admit, I don't even know what I don't know about them.

what do you think the personality traits of people in them are? I mean the ones that cause the group to be as it is.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, your not. they can't see out side of the bubble. I never understood cults. I must admit, I don't even know what I don't know about them.

what do you think the personality traits of people in them are? I mean the ones that cause the group to be as it is.
Really appreciate the support. From my experience the higher ups (Gary Olsen, his wife, best buddys since who knows when) and a lot of the fellow students are all pretty conceited, narcissistic, pretentious,in a subtle way One of Gary Olsen's quotes is: A true Master is so humble, andc"Im as humble as apple pie" ( He says hes a true Master ) Who is TRULY humble and proclaims it? Garys teachings also humbly states that MasterPath teachings and students are the highest most evolved people on the planet. Garys favorite analogy is the rest of the world is the walking dead, 2 legged bi ped, an animal,unaware, playing with baby rattles. Very humble?lol

Old 01-01-2019, 07:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
ONE trait is common...the members love being included in a family type situation....smiley faces
all welcoming you ...so happy whenever you stop by is very alluring.
You can come from a happy family or a dysfunctional, unloving family...doesn't matter.
BUT, it is easier for a member if their family of origin doesn't relate or support them...
or if
they are a bit 'lonely'....they don't have to be depressed about it...it's just if you have only a couple friends ...and NOW you have a BUNCH of smiling friends...what a pull !
Plus, what they say rings true to you...talking about lofty heights of Truth, God, Connection, and
THIS is the 'fast way' to get to those places of super clarity and happiness ....that we all innately want.

Oh, forgot , then the use of 'the common enemy' ...for a Hitler it was the Jews, etc...
and the promise of a better life...Yay!
Same thing with any group or cult...the common enemy is the suffering of this lying, temporary world and it's transient pleasures**...while the
eternity of happiness that they can take you to >>never changes! Yay! See?

** Sound familiar?..Buddha saw his life of wealth gave nothing, really, in the end...while seeing suffering all around outside the Palace compound...so he sought 'something else':
the 'non-transitory, that relieved the suffering of the mind and the world.'

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 01-01-2019 at 08:30 AM..

Old 02-06-2024, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 159 times
I've been on Masterpath for over thirty years. Most of what's been stated on this thread is absurd. If you want to leave MasterPath you just leave. People stay on Masterpath because of inner experiences not because of belief systems. In fact, it's taught that if you're not having ongoing positive, insightful, spiritual experiences on the inner, it probably doesn't make sense to stay on the path. Yes, there were some plagiarism issues early on when Masterpath began and Sri Gary apologized for that.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:52 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
I tend to be pretty familiar with obscure belief systems but I was today years old when I first heard of MasterPath.

It does seem to be pretty standard-issue "if you buy into this you're very special and better than everyone else". Sort of Tony Robbins meets L Ron Hubbard.

It is entirely possible for the guy described in the OP to be an outlier with unrelated mental health issues. Also entirely possible that he's not that unusual.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:48 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzyma View Post
I have a dear friend who has been in Masterpath for 16 years now. In the past year, I have watched his mind deteriorate into a drone like existance. He is glassy eyed and spooky when discussing anything Masterpath. He says a lot, "I can not discuss that, I have told you too much." in the middle of saying anything about it.

He just came back from a seminar and he said to me, "I know Gary is the true Master, he is the living Master, God." I was FLOORED.

My friend is a very bright, talented person.... but he lives out of his car and has no future goals. He can not hold a job, and is sparadic in thought. He used to laugh and have fun, but lately, he'll sit in his car and read for HOURS the masterpath material. He used to read for about 30-40 minutes each morning, now it's anywhere from 2-4 hours, then he will again in late afternoon and again in the evenings.

He is VERY defensive and very vocal and emotionally abusive when asked questions about Masterpath, and it has evolved to all aspects of our friendship. I am sad, and must end the friendship (he just SCREAMED at me in a public place, and made no apologies for it,but blamed me for asking a simple question, and said I was not worthy of an answer !!!)

My friends and I want to help him, we miss our friend- what can/should we do? Anything? Anyone have insight for me? I have been reading about Masterpath to help bring insight, and I am just in shock at what I am reading. I wish I could grab Gary Olsen around his leather tan neck and shack him. His voice when I hear him talk is incredibly annoying (nasaly) and I can not believe anyone, much less my friend, would believe this guy is a 'living master' and compares himself to Jesus. [/mod]Inappropriate language [/mod]

Ugh, I am so frustrated.
Do you know any of his relatives? In some states relatives can go to court and get a person committed to a rehab or mental health facility in order to keep them safe. They have to be able to prove he is a danger to himself and/or others. In the state I live in only family members can do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality