Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:12 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
...snip...

That could very easily be because Christianity doesn't make sense and a lot of what is in the Bible is just plain false. I've been a Christian for almost all of my life but lately I've recognized that there is much in the Bible that is false and/or completely illogical...snip...
Millions of ex-Christians, including me, began their walk away from the faith because of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 10:37 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,231,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I have a particular hate on for the Calvary Chapel.

One of it's mega churches is 1/2 mile from my condo in Florida. Sunday mornings are a zoo trying to go past there, which is the only route I can take. Police block a PUBLIC roadway so the faithful can get out of the parking lot, and rush to their brunches.

They have three services each Sunday, so one can't avoid the crap that goes on in the morning, and there are multiple times during the week they have traffic jams because of some program or another.

As far as I am concerned, if you need to go to your church, fine, but don't inconvenience the rest of us who could not give a flying fig about whatever sky fairy you think will magically make you live for ever.

Yeah, it makes me angry every time I think about it. What RIGHT do church goers have over the general or secular public to block traffic for THEIR convenience?

grrrrrrrrrr........
What right? Are you serious, that is a real question? The same right that all the baseball and football fans have when THEY clog up traffic in my neighborhood. I don't like or go to sport venues but I don't make demands on the city to try to stop them. What a weak argument.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:47 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,944,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
What right? Are you serious, that is a real question? The same right that all the baseball and football fans have when THEY clog up traffic in my neighborhood. I don't like or go to sport venues but I don't make demands on the city to try to stop them. What a weak argument.
Football game = 68,000 people
Megachurch = 2,000 people

See the difference?

Old 07-06-2014, 04:56 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,649,126 times
Just because some Christians fail in their walk, false teachers exist, etc doesn't mean the God revealed in the Bible is not a reality. One thing we can all be certain of is that God's Justice will be just.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Just because some Christians fail in their walk, false teachers exist, etc doesn't mean the God revealed in the Bible is not a reality. One thing we can all be certain of is that God's Justice will be just.
God isn't going to mete out some kind of post-death "justice." You are.

And I understand from your perspective how "some Christians fail in their walk."

But from mine, many/most of those ex-Christians wake up to the truth and forge a new, more rewarding path.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:00 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,784,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
And how, may I ask, can you (or "we") be certain of that? (Understand that "certain" means "I could convince anyone of it, logically, regardless of his/her religious affiliation or lack thereof.)

If you answer "because it's in the Bible", tell me: with all of the translations of the Bible that are out there, all of the theologians who can't seem to agree on what the Bible says, and all of the people of other religious leanings who would say that the Bible is false/heretical/nonsense, how can you be certain, again using my definition, that the Bible is true?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,166,545 times
Pastor Ted anyone??? Ted Haggard of New Life in CO Springs has one of the biggest oops, but he has a new church now. It's not as big. New Lifes congregation size about halved after the scandal and hasn't recovered.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:28 AM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
Good church = good theatre.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,999,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

(Never mind the fact that the Bible commands that adulterers be put to death - just like homosexuals - so adulterers should be just as marginalized from society as gay people are. So yeah, the hypocrisy is pretty sickening.)
Hi Shirina,
That was under the law, the law given to Moses to give only to Israel concerning adulterers. That law is not for the world to follow nor the church of the nations.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 AM

17,846 posts, read 13,771,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Hi Shirina,
That was under the law, the law given to Moses to give only to Israel concerning adulterers. That law is not for the world to follow nor the church of the nations.
It's really not that big a deal though. If I were one of these adulterous TV preachers I would just bring up King Solomon. Shows that even the old school Hebrews kind of let that law slide if you were important or rich enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality