Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,094,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Acts 11:26 "Now it was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians"
Act 26:28
1st Peter 4:16

Quote:
The Greek word Χριστιανός (Christianos)—meaning today "followers of Christ"—comes from Χριστός (Christos)—meaning "anointed one" or Messiah or King, as in Messiah David—with an adjectival ending borrowed from Latin to denote adhering to (as in Babylonian) or even belonging to (as in slave ownership).
The idea was that the Jesus-believers didn't come from Nazareth, and so the Jewish term for the Jesus-inspired sect of Judaism (Notzrim meaning "Nazarene") stopped being used... as well as because the city of Antioch had a great tradition of coining terms...

Furthermore, these Jesus-inspired Jews and Gentiles denied the divine blessing and status of the Roman Emperor. So quickly, the idea became that Jesus was the "Husband of the World" instead of Poseidon (Saturn, Meaning "One-brided") and that the Roman rule had no legitimacy but the Jewish royal family DID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,094,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I still preach the OT because it points forward to the Messiah of the NT. The entire Bible is about Jesus. You really need to understand context. It's clear from your comments that you simply don't have a clue. If you'd like to learn I'd be happy to teach you, but I don't think you really do, do you?
The entire Bible is about a Bramajala. The reason that Christians suffer is not because God loves them, but the same as why Satanists suffer. The entire Bible is about a confused Demiurge (and his reincarnation-punishment and re-ascendance) who hopefully found enlightenment by now. Shall we test your God? as Esekial did?

Perhaps you simply don't have a clue?

The OT shows that the god of Israel was nothing but a confused and angry Deva, like Cronus or Jupiter ("Heavenly Father" and son of Cronus) or Brahma or... El of the Canaanites (Father of Yahweh of the Canaanites). The Hellenes and Nostradamus have plenty of prophesies that came true. But nowhere is there a law to be found in all of Israel that says that the Jews must Worship their Messiahs as incarnations/avatars of YHWH... lest YHWH end his meek covenant with them. Nowhere is there a law in all of Israel that says that the Jews must accept a Messiah before that supposed Messiah fully proves themselves. Is there?

Ask your god a little bit about his heavenly underlings, how did he create them and are they not his immortal children? How does he dictate their positions and what does he put them to do?

Time to read Ezekiel 21.

1st Kings 18...

Jesus says "But you aren't righteous, and so only the sign of Jonah will be given"

Well, how were ancient Jews more righteous than the righteous today...

you would say... they weren't righteous, they were chosen.

Lucky for them, unlucky for us.

you would say... Jacob has he loved, and Essau has he hated.

a confused Deva leads to child-abuse.

the reason Ba'al ("the Lord") didn't take up the sacrifice was because his priests didn't cheat. And also because his people were being tested/ weren't righteous enough.

excuses, excuses... they don't suffice in Science (meaning "knowledge") ... and the Buddha guided that we should seek after knowledge and wisdom and not desires of Immortality or Justice.

"No one is to be called a leader (Pastor) among you, because you are all brothers" ~ Jesus

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-21-2013 at 11:23 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM

526 posts, read 694,871 times
Quote:
I still preach the OT because it points forward to the Messiah of the NT. The entire Bible is about Jesus. You really need to understand context. It's clear from your comments that you simply don't have a clue. If you'd like to learn I'd be happy to teach you, but I don't think you really do, do you?
Do not, however, forget to mention that the OT prophets failed to mention that the messiah expected would be a Greek-speaking one!!

The famous, the longed for messiah of the Jews arrives, at last, and the Jews write about him and his teaching... in Greek.

You may believe that you preach the OT, but for the others to believe that you possess the required knowledge in order to be able to preach the OT, you must state from whom you were taught the knowledge in question.

Anyone can interpret the OT as it suits him and claim that he is preaching.
Evidence... dear preacher!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:09 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,266,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
Do not, however, forget to mention that the OT prophets failed to mention that the messiah expected would be a Greek-speaking one!!
non-sequitur.
Quote:
The famous, the longed for messiah of the Jews arrives, at last, and the Jews write about him and his teaching... in Greek.
There were a lot of Jews that spoke Greek.
Quote:
You may believe that you preach the OT, but for the others to believe that you possess the required knowledge in order to be able to preach the OT, you must state from whom you were taught the knowledge in question.

Anyone can interpret the OT as it suits him and claim that he is preaching.
Evidence... dear preacher!
Are you asking me where I went to school? Or are you telling me that I should present my credentials every Sunday before I preach? I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,690,629 times
Quote:

Preacher, would it not be better to just teach from the new testament since that is probably more relevant to what is happening in today's society, you really need to keep up with the times. It may be true that the old testament is applicable to some people, like those of the Jewish faith, because after all the old testament is taken from their sacred book, is it not? I often wondered why it is that Christians spent so much time dwelling on the old testament when it is the new testament that should be of more concern to Christianity, personally I think the two books should be separated and taught as individual sacred books.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM

526 posts, read 694,871 times
Quote:
There were a lot of Jews that spoke Greek.
But a messiah? It is just preposterous!
Quote:
Are you asking me where I went to school? Or are you telling me that I should present my credentials every Sunday before I preach? I'm not sure what you're saying here.
I am asking you to tell me how did you acquire the knowledge justifying your preaching the OT. You need, according to Maimonides, esoteric knowledge in order to understand the OT. Do you have that knowledge and if “yes” how did you get it?

How would you explain God’s action when he sought to kill Moses (Εχ. 4:24-26)?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:20 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,261,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I understand the "physical"/"spiritual" thing, but here's a question that could be gathered from this story (which it HAS been asked):

Like Abraham, if God asked you to kill your child, would you do so?

1. To say "yes" would indicate one believes the biblical god talks to them

2. To say "yes" is an admission that the biblical god engages in suggesting murder

3. To say "no" could mean one realizes this never really happened and was just a made up story to teach a spiritual message.

4. To say "no" because of #3 implies that other biblical stories might be just made up stories to teach a spiritual messages and you can't get to pick and choose which ones are literal and which ones aren't.

Here is my answer to your question, "if God asked you to kill your child, would you do so?....NO!
For none of the reasons you gave but because it was a work of God and not of man.

Here is the scripture that brings it to conclusion: Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

You see, the story of Abraham is the story of God, not sacrificing Issac (Humanity) , but instead the ram in the thicket. Which is Jesus.

So, the picture painted by the story of Abraham is a once and for all time picture of God saving His own creation via His Son Jesus Christ.

The creation of Adam created a condition where free will enabled Adam to be an independent god (lower case g) which resulted in Adam's death, spiritually by separation.

The "once and for all time" sacrifice, Jesus, enabled all of humanity to be spared from the free will death penalty.

Supporting scriptures:Heb 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

1Pe 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

In the following verse you will read ..."but now once in the end of the world"...meaning that the end of the world as it was (Lost) has the ram in the ticket appeared to put and end to sin.

Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

What other reason would God have to ask any of us to sacrifice our own son?

Blessings, AJ

Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,026,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Here is my answer to your question, "if God asked you to kill your child, would you do so?....NO!
For none of the reasons you gave but because it was a work of God and not of man.

Here is the scripture that brings it to conclusion: Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

You see, the story of Abraham is the story of God, not sacrificing Issac (Humanity) , but instead the ram in the thicket. Which is Jesus.

So, the picture painted by the story of Abraham is a once and for all time picture of God saving His own creation via His Son Jesus Christ.

The creation of Adam created a condition where free will enabled Adam to be an independent god (lower case g) which resulted in Adam's death, spiritually by separation.

The "once and for all time" sacrifice, Jesus, enabled all of humanity to be spared from the free will death penalty.

Supporting scriptures:Heb 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

1Pe 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

In the following verse you will read ..."but now once in the end of the world"...meaning that the end of the world as it was (Lost) has the ram in the ticket appeared to put and end to sin.

Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

What other reason would God have to ask any of us to sacrifice our own son?

Blessings, AJ
Do you believe the story of Abraham attempting to kill Issac as ordered by God was a literal event?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,108,481 times
Quote:
In the bible, we read a very popular story of a man who was [allegedly] told to kill his son by none other than "God" (so we are told). He attempted to do so, but was stopped before he could go through with the deed. This became the ultimate confirmation that this man, Abraham, was a man of great faith and could be trusted with the things of God. This story is told in Sunday Schools, bible story books and Sunday sermons as an example of strong faith in doing what God tells you to do, which as we will see is strictly left up to interpretations from individual to individual.

Now, if we place the same story in today's context, just about all of us, whether we are the most dedicated person in church or the biggest heathen running around, would say that such a person has psychological problems and needs immediate psychiatric care. In fact, one might hear, from SOME in the Christian camp that such a person is "demon possessed." So that "voice" that allegedly spoke to Abraham in the bible was "God", but any other person hearing such voices to go kill their child or any other loved one or stranger is crazy. Think about it.

Father Attempts to Sacrifice Son in CemeteryItsyBitsySteps<
Yet, millions of "pro-choice" women kill their unwanted children every year.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,261,527 times
Quote:
Do you believe the story of Abraham attempting to kill Issac as ordered by God was a literal event?
Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality