Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,250,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well preacher as a Christian you're teaching Christianity and if you teach Christianity using the old testament of your sacred book as an example then your also teaching that Christianity teaches the killing of children. Perfect example is just what you are talking about above. The only way that you're not going to teach that Christianity tells a parent to take the life of its child is to not teach anything in the old testament.
Can you show me a command where Christians are told to kill anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,683,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I don't like that you keep picking on Vizio. ...and callin him "preacher" all the time is dehumanizing.
You should be aware that the numerous Christians, in their views, have a habit of excusing their believes in uncountable ways... For example, the New Testament throws the old testament away (BUT LEAVES IT IN THE BIBLE AS CONTEXT?) Jesus says which commands are important... about 4+.

The commands in the New Testament are subsections (over more like "oversections") of "the good ones" in the Old Testament...
Love God, Love Neighbors as Self, etc, mean... perhaps... follow the covenant's 613 laws, or at least the 10 commandments without worrying about the other 603... depending on which "Holy Spirit" you use to read meaning into the ink and wood. Although more meaning can be read and inscribed in less dictational graven images

LuminousTruth, Vizio is a preacher.. So I'am only calling him that because he is and if you don't believe me ask him..

Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I don't like that you keep picking on Vizio. ...and callin him "preacher" all the time is dehumanizing.
You should be aware that the numerous Christians, in their views, have a habit of excusing their believes in uncountable ways... For example, the New Testament throws the old testament away (BUT LEAVES IT IN THE BIBLE AS CONTEXT?) Jesus says which commands are important... about 4+.

The commands in the New Testament are subsections (over more like "oversections") of "the good ones" in the Old Testament...
Love God, Love Neighbors as Self, etc, mean... perhaps... follow the covenant's 613 laws, or at least the 10 commandments without worrying about the other 603... depending on which "Holy Spirit" you use to read meaning into the ink and wood. Although more meaning can be read and inscribed in less dictational graven images
He can feel free to try to pin me to the wall on this. In fact, I hope he does.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
LuminousTruth, Vizio is a preacher.. So I'am only calling him that because he is and if you don't believe me ask him..
No offense, taken. I am honestly asking for you to please show me a command in the Bible that says a Christian should kill anyone.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No offense, taken. I am honestly asking for you to please show me a command in the Bible that says a Christian should kill anyone.

Will if you're teaching from the old testament from your sacred book, lets start with these;

Deuteronomy 17.

If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the lord thy god giveth thee, man or woman, that have wrought wickedness in the sight of the lord thy god, in transgressing his covenant;17:3 and have gone and served other gods, and worship them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the hosts of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 and it be told thee, and thou has heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 then shall thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, until they die

Here's a few dealing with children;

Leviticus 20;9 for every one that curses his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be a pawn him.

Judges;11:30-40 Jephthah killed his younger daughter (his only daughter) by burning her alive as a burnt sacrifice to the lord for he commanded it.

Psalms;137:8-9. Talks about dashing little children against stones.

2Kings 6:28-29. Interesting enough this one talks about cannibalism.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21. Talks about a disobedient son and how everybody should stone him to death.

Judges 19:24-29. Talks about how a father took his daughter and let men have their way with her and then he cut her up into 12 pieces and scattered them over the land.

Exodus 12:29. God killed, intentionally, every firstborn child of every family in Egypt, simply because he was upset at the Pharaoh.

The rest I'll just give the locations in your sacred book.

Exodus 20:9-10.

2 Kings 16:23-24.

Leviticus 26:30.

1 Samuel 15:11-18.

1 Kings 16:34.

Isaiah 13:15-18. (This is one of my favorites)......... God can find you, he will, "thrust you through," smash your children "to pieces" before your eyes and rape your wife.

Jeremiah 19:7-9. Got will make parents eat their own children and friends eat each other.

Here's another one of my favorites. Lamentations 2:20-22. God gets angry and mercilessly torments and kills everyone, young and old. He even causes women to eat their children.

Now there a lot more but I'm sure that the preacher knows what I'm talking about.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Will if you're teaching from the old testament from your sacred book, lets start with these;

Deuteronomy 17.

If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the lord thy god giveth thee, man or woman, that have wrought wickedness in the sight of the lord thy god, in transgressing his covenant;17:3 and have gone and served other gods, and worship them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the hosts of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 and it be told thee, and thou has heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 then shall thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, until they die

Here's a few dealing with children;

Leviticus 20;9 for every one that curses his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be a pawn him.

Judges;11:30-40 Jephthah killed his younger daughter (his only daughter) by burning her alive as a burnt sacrifice to the lord for he commanded it.

Psalms;137:8-9. Talks about dashing little children against stones.

2Kings 6:28-29. Interesting enough this one talks about cannibalism.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21. Talks about a disobedient son and how everybody should stone him to death.

Judges 19:24-29. Talks about how a father took his daughter and let men have their way with her and then he cut her up into 12 pieces and scattered them over the land.

Exodus 12:29. God killed, intentionally, every firstborn child of every family in Egypt, simply because he was upset at the Pharaoh.

The rest I'll just give the locations in your sacred book.

Exodus 20:9-10.

2 Kings 16:23-24.

Leviticus 26:30.

1 Samuel 15:11-18.

1 Kings 16:34.

Isaiah 13:15-18. (This is one of my favorites)......... God can find you, he will, "thrust you through," smash your children "to pieces" before your eyes and rape your wife.

Jeremiah 19:7-9. Got will make parents eat their own children and friends eat each other.

Here's another one of my favorites. Lamentations 2:20-22. God gets angry and mercilessly torments and kills everyone, young and old. He even causes women to eat their children.

Now there a lot more but I'm sure that the preacher knows what I'm talking about.

Not a single one of those are applicable to the Christian today. I don't expect you to understand the context of them....as you are not a Christian. I get that. But those were commands given to the ancient Israelites. Many of them are not even commands -- they are descriptions of what happened, or accounts of the feelings of people that were being oppressed by the enemies of Israel.

So I ask you again.....can you give me a single verse that tells Christians that they should kill a child? I'm not aware of any.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,284,769 times
Semantic gymnastics again.

Where in the bible does it mention the word "Christians?"

Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 PM

588 posts, read 798,340 times
Quote:
When have I ever suggested I didn't? Of course I do. But there is nothing in Christianity that would tell a man to kill his child.
First, there is Jeremiah 19:9 where God says that he will cause parents to eat the flesh of their children.
Proverbs 30:17 talks about how children will have their eyes plucked out and eaten by eagles if they mock their parents. I guess you could argue that plucking out eyes of children is better than killing them.
However in more cases, God just killed children directly like he did to all the firstborn children in an entire country in Exodus 12:29-30.

edit to add: I see that someone else already posted a better version of my post.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
First, there is Jeremiah 19:9 where God says that he will cause parents to eat the flesh of their children.
Proverbs 30:17 talks about how children will have their eyes plucked out and eaten by eagles if they mock their parents. I guess you could argue that plucking out eyes of children is better than killing them.
However in more cases, God just killed children directly like he did to all the firstborn children in an entire country in Exodus 12:29-30.
You really need to understand context. God doesn't cause anyone to cannibalize their children--he merely states that it will happen.

As far as Exodus 12? That's not a command for us to kill anyone.

Still waiting for anyone to give me an example how this nut job was acting out his Christianity.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Not a single one of those are applicable to the Christian today. I don't expect you to understand the context of them....as you are not a Christian. I get that. But those were commands given to the ancient Israelites. Many of them are not even commands -- they are descriptions of what happened, or accounts of the feelings of people that were being oppressed by the enemies of Israel.

So I ask you again.....can you give me a single verse that tells Christians that they should kill a child? I'm not aware of any.

Well then preacher, why are you still preaching the old testament to your congregation? I find it kind of interesting that when an individual presents you with all the different passages in your sacred book that has to do with the taking of innocent life, you very conveniently say that these are passages from the old testament (and that may be true) and do not apply to you as Christians, and yet, you as a Christian preacher continue to teach that to your congregation. You either teach the old testament or you don't and if you do, your teaching all those passages about taking innocent lives also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality