Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:09 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,905 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to why people post in a religion forum when they are not religious in nature. Over the years I have frequented forums and noticed a trend of non-religious people attracted to responding to religious threads. While I understand there are many religions, the one I see people spending so much time attempting to debunk is Christianity. What is the draw?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
I am curious as to why people post in a religion forum when they are not religious in nature. Over the years I have frequented forums and noticed a trend of non-religious people attracted to responding to religious threads. While I understand there are many religions, the one I see people spending so much time attempting to debunk is Christianity. What is the draw?
Antitheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-24-2012, 04:27 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
People like to argue?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times
Religion is a very complex subject. It intersects many parts of our lives; including politics, sociology, psychology, and personal ethics. Sometimes, a thread in a religious forum leaves itself open to responses which connect in those other areas.

That said, as an agnostic, I don’t post my opinions in the Christianity forum. However, this forum, “Religion and Philosophy”, is far more comprehensive in potential subject matter.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:50 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Quote:
Most English Language forums will have most of their members from western Nations in which the religion best known is Christianity. most religious posts are by Christians and therefore those will be the ones most criticized.

However, if you notice here there are Threads started by Jews and Muslims. I believe you will find many of them have received negative comments from both Non-religious posters and from Religious posters that are neither Jew nor Muslim.

On City-Data the only specific Religious forum is the Christian one. I think you will found most non-Christians keep out of it. This section Religion and Philosophy is more prone to attract non-Religious posters.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
The draw is simply that Christianity infests your politics, laws and your education system, and needs to be eradicated from all three...If this were not so I doubt that there would be much if any opposition to Christianity.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:19 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The draw is simply that Christianity infests your politics, laws and your education system, and needs to be eradicated from all three...If this were not so I doubt that there would be much if any opposition to Christianity.
What is wrong with having a high moral code? That is what Christianity says its believers should have. Yes, not all follow that code, but there are many people who call themselves Christians, yet are not. I'd think people could see through that and call out the person, and not the religion they pretend to profess.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Same can be said for secularism. But you're good with that. Right?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,942,585 times
Quote:
What is wrong with having a high moral code? That is what Christianity says its believers should have. Yes, not all follow that code, but there are many people who call themselves Christians, yet are not. I'd think people could see through that and call out the person, and not the religion they pretend to profess.

having a moral code does not require belief in a celestial dictator you called god

Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,464 times
Well, in real life, I don't. The closest I have come is having honest conversation about my religious deconversion experience with a non-religious friend. I don't discuss it with believers, unless they ask me. I don't want to be rude or to offend, and I think it is just stupid to potentially damage a good friendship by pushing my unbelief on others.

If you are asking about this forum, that is what it is here for, to discuss religion and philosophy. I generally stay out of the Christian forum, unless there is some sort of factual topic I can contribute to without offense. This forum however, is for the presenting and defending of ideas religious and philosophical. I post my thoughts so that other can critique them. It helps me to think through my own ideas an beliefs when having to explain them to others. I try to do the same for others, ask questions to make them defend, and hopefully examine their own beliefs. I am not interested in deconverting anyone, but I firmly believe that if you want to advance an idea it is your responsibility to understand it well enough to defend it. I do tend to get short with people who don't want to defend or discuss their belief, only to proclaim it and denounce those who disagree. I find that to be a waste of time. I feel that if someone doesn't want to discuss something, if they aren't willing to listen to other parties even just to understand where they are coming from, what ahre they doing here in the first place? That is the whole point.

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality