Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
We put our faith in things everyday unknowingly. We have faith that when we go to sleep we will wake up in the morning. We have faith that when we get behind the wheel we will arrive safely wherever we are going.
I don't have faith that I will wake up tomorrow. I don't even think about it.

We don't have faith in things that we do as routine. I don't have faith when I am eating that I wont choke. I know from growing up and doing for the past 30+ years how to chew.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:00 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
We put our faith in things everyday unknowingly. We have faith that when we go to sleep we will wake up in the morning. We have faith that when we get behind the wheel we will arrive safely wherever we are going.
As has been pointed out innumerable times, faith in what we understand and have practical experience of is not at all the same thing as Faith in things that are pure speculation and have no evidential support at all.

To make it absolutely clear, Faith that a Jumbo Jet will fly is not the same as faith in fairies. Now you do understand this and will not try to pull this false and worthless argument ever again? Good man. Now back to you.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
That is nothing at all like religious faith...A person expects to wake up the next morning because they have every morning of their lives...I get behind the wheel and know where I'm going, and since I have always got where I wanted to go, past performance indicates that I trust today will be no different....Religious faith on the other hand has no evidence of past performance or anything else...It is absolute blind faith.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:10 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,755 times
Quote:
What is wrong with having a high moral code? That is what Christianity says its believers should have. Yes, not all follow that code, but there are many people who call themselves Christians, yet are not. I'd think people could see through that and call out the person, and not the religion they pretend to profess.
Christianity is not the only religion with a "high moral code".

Old 06-30-2012, 01:04 AM

707 posts, read 687,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
"They" would very much like to put that gun to our heads, in fact!. For an example, please see: "The Spanish Inquisiiton" as a glowing example of Christian tolerance, open-mindedness, dedication, self-righteous indignation and holier-than-thou-ism. All documented. btw..

"Repent or it's a flogging for you in the public square!"

Oh, you'd like something a little more up-to-date?

Well OK then... try the onerous and ongoing insistence that we teach a totally non-science topic in a science class. Why do they fight the establishment of a simple Comparative Religions Class right down the hall? Because it would, natch, and by definition, include a comparison (as the name implies...) of all other religions? Why, of course, silly! And can we have that as well as the damned SM in our publically funded schools? Of course not!

As in: they absolutely don't want the deliverance of unassailable facts on other belief systems, uncontaminated by their own solitary religious pseudo-or non-science drivel, when facts are being delivered like a machine gun in the biology/Evolution class, with all it's ongoing and ever-improving facts and supporting studies. Oh the fear! Q: what's that odor in there?

After all, these kids don't have to accept any of it, now do they. They do have their own minds, right? You are teaching them at home to think critically about everything, right? Not just a mind solely controlled, all the time, by the overbearing Christian paradigm, right?

"Out with the whips and chains, men! We have naive and innocent (and unthinking!) citizens to protect! Let's make a real spectacle of these damned free thinkers!
And the Spanish Inquisition effects you how?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:40 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
To the orig. op.
You're bating here, which is typical C behavior because your duty requires selling God.

I might ask you a similar question. Why do Christians accept the job of solider for God and expect no war? Why do Christians spread the word of their beliefs and mission?

Why do Christians feel it's their right to try and convert people to Christianity?

Why are they political?

Why do they take on the world as a project of concur for Jesus Christ?

Why do Christians hold their beliefs higher than others?

If you answer any of these questions you will answer your own post. Atheist are just part of the crowd you have set forth to convince. We simply fight back and defend. We didn't start the war, we are defending our right to not believe in what you say. We aren't buying what you sell and that makes you upset, not us. That's all.

Why are you surprised by opposition when you started a conflict out of duty to your God? Your God is only one of many in the eyes of a non believer. It's like Walmart selling the theme of lower prices, it's just allowed to be said but that doesn't make it true.

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-30-2012 at 07:10 AM..

Old 06-30-2012, 06:44 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Wikipedia is not the most reliable source out there. People can write, edit and re-edit what others originally wrote. Find another source.
I might add that the same premise goes with Christianity. It's not the most reliable source of belief out there. People can write, edit and re-edit what others originally wrote. I'll find another source.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
When I read discussions like these, I am often reminded of one quote:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” - Mahatma Gandhi

People doubt religion because of the actions of its practitioners. The negative/degrading/judgmental passages get more attention from Christians, than the positive/uplifting/encouraging messages.

Especially on message boards like this one. It is disheartening to see Christians act the way some of them do on here, and of course the non-Christians get to point with glee at the non-Christian things that Christians do, and they have a point!

However, they neglect to point out all the Christians who go about their business quietly doing charity work. I volunteer at a local shelter that provides meals every day day to the poor, collects and distributes clothing, helps people find services for addictions and employment, etc. It was started by a small church 28 years ago and now operates out of its own building. It's in a town generally known as affluent, but there's this one little side of town that is NOT affluent, and that's where this place is. Almost everyone volunteering there is a Christian. Not that atheists don't do charity work, before someone starts leaping up and down to proclaim that--not the point here. The point is that there are MANY Christians who do not run around telling everyone else they are going to hell or converse only in bible quotes. Some of them just rise each morning, say their prayers, and go about their lives trying to put their faith into practice.

And then there are other Christians who are a little bit bolder in how far they will go to practice their religion. I know one of them.

Christian Peacemaker Teams | Getting in the way.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:48 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I might add that the same premise goes with Christianity. It's not the most reliable source of belief out there. People can write, edit and re-edit what others originally wrote. I'll find another source.
Hahaha, cute, I like that.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:52 AM

229 posts, read 332,096 times
Quote:
I am curious as to why people post in a religion forum when they are not religious in nature. Over the years I have frequented forums and noticed a trend of non-religious people attracted to responding to religious threads. While I understand there are many religions, the one I see people spending so much time attempting to debunk is Christianity. What is the draw?
Possibly because Christians especially, don't follow this motto.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.