Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,869,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
Can you tell us more about the "naked holy men". I find the group facinating... simply what they can do with their bodies is incredible.
You must mean the Sadhus. At a certain point in life, many older men renounce their material wealth and live in the forest where they meditate and seek to "fast forward" their achievement of moksha (liberation). To overcome their attachment to their own bodies (not to mention ego), they will go to great lengths to endure pain and hunger on their quest for salvation.

**I'll be travelling for the next few days and will get to any new questions when I return.**

Om shanti,

Kiran

Last edited by Xpat; 08-28-2007 at 02:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 07:42 AM

OK, back and ready for more questions.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:27 PM

8,003 posts, read 12,305,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
I believe the higher consciousness we think of in much of Hinduism is the same as the Jewish/Christian/Muslim concept of God. Advaita Vedantists seek a spiritual realization in which the self falls away (similar to other Hindus).
I'm glad you're back, Xpat!

While I can see how you make the connection in believing that the higher consciousness in Hinduism is much the same as the concept of god in other religions, what would you say is the primary means or way of seeking that out?

(I am specifically interested in the "realization in which the self falls away."

Thanks once again!

Take gentle care/Namaste,
June

Old 09-01-2007, 01:28 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,569,595 times
Great thread, thanks Xpat.

About the veggie part --

Had no idea that all Hindus were not veggie types. Sort of an interest area for me as Mrs. Phil and the kids are all veggies, so most of the time, so am I.

We have had veggie meals at the local (Dallas) Hindu temple, and the Indians I went to school with were veggies. Is the veggie thing mostly a case of Indian Hindus? Or is it a sect thing? Or a level of devoutness?

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I'm glad you're back, Xpat!

While I can see how you make the connection in believing that the higher consciousness in Hinduism is much the same as the concept of god in other religions, what would you say is the primary means or way of seeking that out?

(I am specifically interested in the "realization in which the self falls away."

Thanks once again!

Take gentle care/Namaste,
June

Namaste June,

The self I am speaking of is the earthly self, the body and identity of ourselves apart from our souls (which we seek to realize as our true identity). Once I can achieve that, I can stop the cycle of rebirths and join with God. It is of course not so simple because it involves overcoming earthly desires, working off the consequences of past bad deeds (karma), and seeing the body as nothing more than a set of clothes the soul happens to be wearing. Its a long and difficult journey which I seek to understand better each day.

Om shanti

Old 09-01-2007, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Great thread, thanks Xpat.

About the veggie part --

Had no idea that all Hindus were not veggie types. Sort of an interest area for me as Mrs. Phil and the kids are all veggies, so most of the time, so am I.

We have had veggie meals at the local (Dallas) Hindu temple, and the Indians I went to school with were veggies. Is the veggie thing mostly a case of Indian Hindus? Or is it a sect thing? Or a level of devoutness?

Thanks.
Ahimsa (non injury) is a core belief in most Hindu sects so this usually also applies to not eating meat since it harms animals. Temple priests are usually strict vegetarians and you'll seldom ever (if never) see meat served at a Hindu temple (or a Sikh Gurudwara).

On the other hand, there are some exceptions (though there is considerable debate about the exceptions). Soldiers and law-enforcement officers (as Kshyatrias of the warrior varna) are generally not vegetarians, because they must keep alive their aggressive forces in order to perform their duties.

To practice yoga and be successful in meditation, it is normally mandatory to be vegetarian.

The Hindu who wishes to strictly follow the path of noninjury naturally adopts a vegetarian diet. It's a matter of conscience more than anything else.

It is said that when we eat meat, fish, fowl and eggs, we absorb the vibration of the instinctive creatures into our nerve system. This chemically alters our consciousness and amplifies our lower nature, which is prone to fear, anger, jealousy, confusion, resentment and the like.

Scriptural citations on the subject can be contradictory:

In the Manusmriti (5:56), “There is no sin in eating meat… but abstention brings great rewards.â€

The Yajur Veda (36.18) calls for kindliness toward all creatures living on the Earth, in the air and in the water.

The Tirukural, a 2,200-year-old masterpiece of ethics, states, "When a man realizes that meat is the butchered flesh of another creature, he will abstain from eating it."

The Manu Dharma Shastras state, "Having well considered the origin of flesh and the cruelty of fettering and slaying corporeal beings, let one entirely abstain from eating flesh," and "When the diet is pure, the mind and heart are pure."

For guidance on these matters, Hindus also rely on their own guru/priest, community elders, their own conscience. Of course, there are good Hindus who eat meat, and there are not-so-good Hindus who are vegetarians.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:34 AM

8,003 posts, read 12,305,688 times
Xpat,

If I find my "soul" will I find my true "self?" Conversely, if I find my true "self" have I as well found my "soul?"

Take gentle care/Namaste.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:03 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,008,342 times
Thank you very much for posting this thread.
In such a society as ours, priding ourselves on pluralism, I have heard so little from Hindus, who seem to keep to themselves.
I am happy to read your comments.

I have some thoughts, and would appreciate your comments if you so choose.

Some Christians say we are living in the 'end times'. There are prophecies in the Bible about the end of this age, after which there will be darkness and evil will reign, after which Christ is supposed to come again. I think I have that right. Part of the prophecy says the Jews will return to Israel during, or perhaps before, this 'end' time.

The Mayan calendar ends at the year 2012 and some say there will be a great change coming about in that time.

The Jews are expecting the Messiah. I believe the Orthodox teaching is that only AFTER the Messiah comes will Israel return to the Jews, and it will be in great love and rejoicing in the world, and not the wars and destruction that is happening now.

The Buddhists, I think, await the Maitraya. I probably spelled that wrong, and I think this may not be a belief of all Buddhists.

The Hindus, to my limited understanding, have 4 great ages, called Yugas. They start with an age of great love, joy, knowledge and enlightenment, and end in one of darkness and destruction. We are supposed to be in the last, the Kali Yuga.

Please correct me if I got any of that wrong.
I am wondering about the timing - are we at the end of this Kali Yuga now?

Does the purpose of these great ages have to do with huge waves of souls which incarnate on this planet for learning purposes, and then await a period in which they/we all leave together?

I have been told that Hinduism is a culture, a way of life, and that a person cannot 'convert' or become a member. One must be reared in the culture to be part of it.

To me, Hinduism, and the other religion that started in India, Buddhism, seem to have a lot of spiritual truths behind their teachings, and not simply dogma.

I am so glad to see you post here.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Xpat,

If I find my "soul" will I find my true "self?" Conversely, if I find my true "self" have I as well found my "soul?"

Take gentle care/Namaste.

Namaste,

Your soul is your true self - but actually living this out is the challenge.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:02 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,578,280 times
Learning about different cultures has always brought me great happiness and am enjoying your posts.

No questions from me, just want to say your thread is very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality