Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 02:50 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,561,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am curious where you read that, i would love to see that. It is an interesting idea. I do find remarkable commonality in aspects of Judaism with Hinduism.
Buddha actually was grounded in Hinduism and its texts and traditions. He rejected the ritual aspects of the religion and stayed with the philosophical aspects of Hinduism, the practice of meditation, and spirituality. The two philosophies are not far apart. He found a simple way to impart it the common people. So in that respect I disagree, Buddhism is very much grounded in Indian ethnic culture. Even in countries where it spread such as Sri Lanka and Thailand, Java and Sumatra etc, Indonesia, it retained many of the Hindu mythological roots, methods of worship, and culture.
While Hinduism did not spread as Buddhism did it did influence many thoughts and philosophies in the West and Mideast and Asia, and later Europe and US.
I am sorry to say that my research has never been formal, so I don't keep notes. It was just a tidbit I picked up in my readings, and I've read a large variety of works. My post was paraphrasing, not a quote, but I do detect a variance in your reply than my intention. I understood the original author to say Buddhism is to Hinduism as Christianity is to Judaism. If my understanding was correct, the author would be saying it came from the Indian Hindu cultural religion, just as Christianity stems from Christ, the rabbi's teachings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
My favorite deity, the One that I adore, is Shiva. How can you not adore a god who dances with such abandon, in such beauty, carrying the crescent moon as ornament in his hair, the river Ganges flowing from his locks. He is also depicted at times as The Teacher, the Guru, seated in silence with only a tender smile, under a tree in a forest. The mythology of Shiva a thing of wonder and beauty.
I agree, though I am certain your understanding is much greater than mine. I am only a casual researcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 03:11 PM

16,009 posts, read 7,063,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I am sorry to say that my research has never been formal, so I don't keep notes. It was just a tidbit I picked up in my readings, and I've read a large variety of works. My post was paraphrasing, not a quote, but I do detect a variance in your reply than my intention. I understood the original author to say Buddhism is to Hinduism as Christianity is to Judaism. If my understanding was correct, the author would be saying it came from the Indian Hindu cultural religion, just as Christianity stems from Christ, the rabbi's teachings.

I agree, though I am certain your understanding is much greater than mine. I am only a casual researcher.
Ah, ok. No problem!

Old 12-13-2022, 09:44 PM
nng

695 posts, read 290,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
In case anyone is curious to know more about the Sanatana Dharma (aka Hinduism), please post your questions here. I'll do my best to provide any answers.

A few key things to know:

-Hinduism has grown to become the world's third largest religion, after Christianity and Islam. There are about 837 million followers - 13% of the world's population. You probably know it as the dominant religion in India, Nepal, on the Indonesian island of Bali, and among the Tamils in Sri Lanka. There are about 2 million Hindus in the USA.

-Hinduism is generally regarded as the world's oldest organized religion.

-Most forms of Hinduism are henotheistic religions, recognizing a single deity, and view other Gods and Goddesses as manifestations or aspects of that supreme God.

-There is no basis for a discriminatory caste system in Hindu scripture. Caste was the division of the ancient Indic civilization based on four general occupational groupings, which included workers, business people, law enforcers and lawmakers and priests. Within these four groups were thousands of sub-groups. Over the millennia, what was to be a skills and aptitude based guild system was rigidified into a hereditary hierarchy. This distortion was a result of certain social practices and taboos gaining acceptance over time.

-Hindus generally do not proseletyze (seek to convert others).

-One must not be Indian to be a Hindu.

-We don't worhip cows.

-Not all Hindus are vegetarians (maybe 20-25% are).
I have personally experienced a partial kundalini awakening I know chakras are real I don't really believe that Hinduism is the one true religion I don't really believe all the teachings or aspects of Hinduism are true but the goddess shakti I believe is real I saw her face she looks like gal gadot if you think I'm crazy I understand I get it but I'm telling you all the truth no lies told here. I've never seen lord shiva however and there is an afterlife for animals and humans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality