Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times

Advertisements

I believe the primary cause of hatred is ignorance people tend to fear what they don't understand and this fear manifests itself as hatred.

However there is a concept of justified hatred that runs counter to this rule, in which the more a person knows the more justified the hatred is.
Things such as child Molestation, Greed, Abuse, Prejudice.

Are there really things we are justified in hating or is it simply our inability to understand it? Does our hatred lessen with knowledge? Are there things and people we Really should hate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
Hatred is only righteous and justified when god says to hate. Just ask the people who hate.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:17 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Hatred is only righteous and justified when god says to hate. Just ask the people who hate.
Is it coincidence that people who read the holy books hate the things their holy books tell them to hate?
Hate, if it is an emotion is one that I have never felt.

You do not need the Bible to justify love, but no better tool has been invented to justify hate. - Richard A. Weatherwax

Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,113 times
You pose an interesting question Woodrow. Hatred is a human emotion and a singular emotion. You give an example of certain acts that are heinous in most societies and I do believe that some acts should be hated. It is possible to hate the act but not the person who commits the act and there have been many examples of that in the past. I do believe that our hatred does lessen our knowledge to the point that we would not endeavour to find out more about the particular act or person or persons that our hatred is directed to. Personally I hate the act of child molestation, greed, abuse and prejudice but I have found that if you hate the person or persons committing such acts you lose the chance of possibly educating them not to do the hated acts. So yes I would say we are justifiable in hating the acts but not in hating the person or persons committing them.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Sadly too often people do justify their hate with the belief God(swt) has required them to hate some things.

I see this as a frequent cop-out to avoid learning.

But I do believe God(swt) requires us to hate a few things, even fewer people. I think we should hate actions that are harmful and if a person continues those actions even knowing their actions are harmful they are worthy of being hated. Although so far I have not personally met a single person I feel commanded to hate. I have heard of a few such as Hitler, Vlad the Impaler, Attila the Hun etc. But even those I do not know for certain if I am required to hate them.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I believe the primary cause of hatred is ignorance people tend to fear what they don't understand and this fear manifests itself as hatred.

However there is a concept of justified hatred that runs counter to this rule, in which the more a person knows the more justified the hatred is.
Things such as child Molestation, Greed, Abuse, Prejudice.

Are there really things we are justified in hating or is it simply our inability to understand it? Does our hatred lessen with knowledge? Are there things and people we Really should hate?
Well, in my experience, I have never hated the corrupt too much, mostly I have pitied them. They don't need hate, they need help! Even the very psychopaths who do not understand the importance of others, simply need to understand that they themselves are also "others". There are those, however, with mental disabilities who could never be fixed except with brain surgery or chemical intakes. I believe hatred evolved so that societies could remove those whom were a "cancer" to society. Those who were only a burden to the "hive" if you will.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:48 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
I do agree that people tend to fear what they don't understand...but I do not beleive that that fear turns into hatred....how can we hate what we don't know?..I also do not believe that anyone can require anyone else to hate...I believe hatred is a very personal thing,and many times justifyable......but NEVER righteous.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times
I believe the primary cause of hate is self-preservation. People are lazy...hating is easy.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
gabfest...I think it would be very, very hard to hate ...not easy at all

Old 09-16-2011, 07:56 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
gabfest...I think it would be very, very hard to hate ...not easy at all
Congratulations you've obviously actualized above level one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality