Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:28 PM

62 posts, read 107,595 times

Advertisements

The Hebrew Moshiach (messiah), is simply one who has been anointed. It usually speaks of a person initiated into G-d's service by being anointed with oil. Christians believe that every time moshiach appears in the Hebrew bible it must be referring to Jesus (unless a specific person's name is mentioned with it). That could't be farther from the truth. Kings and priests were anointed therefore they were moshiachs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivria66 View Post
The Hebrew Moshiach (messiah), is simply one who has been anointed. It usually speaks of a person initiated into G-d's service by being anointed with oil. Christians believe that every time moshiach appears in the Hebrew bible it must be referring to Jesus (unless a specific person's name is mentioned with it). That could't be farther from the truth. Kings and priests were anointed therefore they were moshiachs.
It would be useful to have a messiah (Moshiach) thread.So many Christians seem to think that 'Christ' is a surname. It is a title like emperor, or Mayor or colonel.

Thinking atheists generally know there were other messiahs. They generally think of them as kings, but also as liberators in some way. I gather that the herodians were never considered as messiahs. If anything, a 'real' jewish king (the Herods were Edomites) deposing the Herodswould probably have been considered a messiah.

It's known the Hasmoneans/Maccabeans were Messiahs and of course the leaders of the Jewish war were aiming at the title. It puts Jesus, if we was aiming at the messiah title, into a different light from the one that Bible tries to put.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 AM

62 posts, read 107,595 times
Basically, let's say for arguements sake that we could go back in time, we end up 3000 years ago in Israel. If you were to stop and ask anyone on the street where can I find a messiah, they would respond with , which one? It also was not a requirement to be Jewish to be anointed. Again, this goes back to the fact that Christians really don't know anything about Judaism, Jews or Hebrew, and yet they profess to be experts because they follow a Jew named Jesus. They have no basic understanding of the era, the language and the customs either.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
... It also was not a requirement to be Jewish to be anointed. ...
Do I understand this correctly? Anyone can get anointed, of course, but to be a messiah, doesn't one have to be Jewish?

I recall that Josephus thought that Vespasian was the messiah, preferring him to the Judean zealot messiahs, and i read about a discussion a couple of 1st century rabbis had about wheher herod could be the messiah. so perhaps it's true that anyone can be the Messiah.

I suppose it then remains to ask, if anyone can be anointed and non -Jews can be a messiah, what does a messiah have to do or be in order to become a messiah?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:30 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,442,221 times
I am a Christian, and I agree that many people do not know that messiah (Moshiach) means anointed and that any one can be anointed. I think there are many Jewish customs and traditions that the average Christian is ignorant of. If I said the word "Mikveot" I would problably hear "what?" in reply. I think this would probably go for many Jews or general public as well. In general I think that many people are ignorant of many things. On the other hand I have heard amazing things from people which I thought were unlearned. So generalization is futile. To say that Christians don't know this or that is stereotyping and a useless arguement.

With that, for someone to be anointed, oil was simply poured on the head. This act by a priest or prophet was to show Gods aproval for that perticular person for office of King or Priest. So, there were many people who were anointed in the bible. The issue comes in between "an" anointed person and "the" anointed person. A king was "an" anointed person, but there was one to come who was "the" anointed person. This person would complete the requirements of "the anointed one". Jesus of Nazareth, completed these requirements and that is why he is Jesus the Christ or Jesus the Anointed. Many Jewish people have rejected this of Jesus, because they feel that the anointed was to remove the Roman rule. They believed this out of ignorance of the scriptures. I do not see a single word that says in all of the torah, in the Law and the Prophets, that says that the Anointed was going to remove the Roman opression. But this belief was so ingrained in the Jewish population that we became deceived and our fore fathers could not recognize the Messiah when he came. Many did follow Jesus, but many have rejected him and continue rejecting him to this day. However the good news is that the day of the gentile is coming to an end. This does not mean that gentiles will no longer will be saved. It means that the Jewish nation will open their eyes and see that Jesus is the messiah. They will see him as Lord and will proclaim him to the world.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I am a Christian, and I agree that many people do not know that messiah (Moshiach) means anointed and that any one can be anointed. I think there are many Jewish customs and traditions that the average Christian is ignorant of. If I said the word "Mikveot" I would problably hear "what?" in reply. I think this would probably go for many Jews or general public as well. In general I think that many people are ignorant of many things. On the other hand I have heard amazing things from people which I thought were unlearned. So generalization is futile. To say that Christians don't know this or that is stereotyping and a useless arguement.

With that, for someone to be anointed, oil was simply poured on the head. This act by a priest or prophet was to show Gods aproval for that perticular person for office of King or Priest. So, there were many people who were anointed in the bible. The issue comes in between "an" anointed person and "the" anointed person. A king was "an" anointed person, but there was one to come who was "the" anointed person. This person would complete the requirements of "the anointed one". Jesus of Nazareth, completed these requirements and that is why he is Jesus the Christ or Jesus the Anointed. Many Jewish people have rejected this of Jesus, because they feel that the anointed was to remove the Roman rule. They believed this out of ignorance of the scriptures. I do not see a single word that says in all of the torah, in the Law and the Prophets, that says that the Anointed was going to remove the Roman opression. But this belief was so ingrained in the Jewish population that we became deceived and our fore fathers could not recognize the Messiah when he came. Many did follow Jesus, but many have rejected him and continue rejecting him to this day. However the good news is that the day of the gentile is coming to an end. This does not mean that gentiles will no longer will be saved. It means that the Jewish nation will open their eyes and see that Jesus is the messiah. They will see him as Lord and will proclaim him to the world.
This is a good post, but I can't click the button because it argues from the particular to the general. You may (and evidently do) have a knowledge of Jewish terms and customs, but that doesn't invalidate my experience with Christians, which indicates to me that, generally, they don't.

Incidently, it's apparently transliterated Mikvaot, and if you had said Mikvah (ritual bath), I would have known it right away.

It would probably be an interesting experiment to quotemine the OT in search of lines that could be made to look like the Messiah was intended to free Israel from foreign rule. Since it is full of warlike stuff, I'd be willing to bet you could produce two liberating Messiah quotes for every suffering servant quote.

But that's beside the point. The point is that there is really no reason to believe in a god of either Jew or gentile - or muslim, for that matter. So who was right or wrong about messiahship hardly matters.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:26 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,074,067 times
Quote:

Can you demonstrate that they are NOT Messiah?

Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Can you demonstrate that they are NOT Messiah?
I think ivria's point is that they were.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,074,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I think ivria's point is that they were.

I disagree.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:12 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,442,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
This is a good post, but I can't click the button because it argues from the particular to the general. You may (and evidently do) have a knowledge of Jewish terms and customs, but that doesn't invalidate my experience with Christians, which indicates to me that, generally, they don't.

Incidently, it's apparently transliterated Mikvaot, and if you had said Mikvah (ritual bath), I would have known it right away.

It would probably be an interesting experiment to quotemine the OT in search of lines that could be made to look like the Messiah was intended to free Israel from foreign rule. Since it is full of warlike stuff, I'd be willing to bet you could produce two liberating Messiah quotes for every suffering servant quote.

But that's beside the point. The point is that there is really no reason to believe in a god of either Jew or gentile - or muslim, for that matter. So who was right or wrong about messiahship hardly matters.
It can transliterate both ways. BTW I wrote if you said to someone, ie. phonics, so spelling would not be an issue.

There is a good reason to believe in God. Since you do not know this there is no further reason for you to comment on the Messiah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality