Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Church attendance crept up slightly in the United States this year, according to new Gallup research - but not everyone is buying the findings.

Slightly more than 43 percent of Americans told Gallup they attend church, synagogue or mosque weekly or almost every week, up from just under 43 percent in 2009, and about 42 percent in 2008.

More Americans say they attend church, mosque, synagogue – Religion - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Church attendance crept up slightly in the United States this year, according to new Gallup research - but not everyone is buying the findings.

Slightly more than 43 percent of Americans told Gallup they attend church, synagogue or mosque weekly or almost every week, up from just under 43 percent in 2009, and about 42 percent in 2008.

More Americans say they attend church, mosque, synagogue – Religion - CNN.com Blogs
I didn't read the article yet... but did they ask them whether they watch church on TV or on the internet at GodTV?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Of course, sometimes Americans say things because they think it's what the pollster wants to hear.

Great cooga-mooga! Have I just accused some of my countrymen of fabrication?

Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Of course, sometimes Americans say things because they think it's what the pollster wants to hear.

Great cooga-mooga! Have I just accused some of my countrymen of fabrication?
^^ This.

I've said I was a Christian when pollsters asked me. I wasn't as confident in my beliefs (or lack thereof at the time, and the area I lived in was HEAVILY Christian and you could be harassed (as I was) for not being one.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
^^granted, they could be lying...or perhaps the Quiverfull/uterine bondage movement is beginning to accomplish its goal of 'filling up the pews'.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

I find that truly hard to swallow. I live in the bible belt and people are leaving churches out here in droves.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:43 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Interesting, but I don't believe it.

I live in a very non-religious part of the country (liberal East coast metro area). More people go to church around here than you might expect, but many simply never go, except to the crafts fairs held at the local church or similar events.

As one tiny data point, we live right next to a small Baptist church and they get about 3-4 cars on a Sunday morning. However, Korean Presbyterians rent the church in the afternoon and they fill the entire parking lot, with lots of families and young people.

EDIT: oops! I just noticed this is a 14-year-old thread. Regular attendance is currently 31% according to Gallup.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:13 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
oops! I just noticed this is a 14-year-old thread. Regular attendance is currently 31% according to Gallup.
~43% vs 31% in 14 years doesn't look so hot. And the slight increase in the OP was within the margin of error anyway. You don't usually see nice smooth bell curves, it will be a little jagged year to year at times, but the overall trend is unmistakable.

Of course this does not mean that the faith doesn't serve the needs of some healthy part of that 31% and anyone who feels that way will discount this decline as something like "getting rid of the riff-raff".

Old 02-19-2024, 09:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post

There is no way 40% of Americans go to church on a given Sunday. At least in my state. I have to wonder about the polling methodology.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:27 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
There is no way 40% of Americans go to church on a given Sunday. At least in my state. I have to wonder about the polling methodology.
I think it various by region. Even within each state, there's differences between cities and smaller towns & rural areas.

This Pew study from 2014 shows that the states are dramatically different.

Notice the disparity between the New England states, which polled in the low 20th percentile for people who admit to weekly church attendance, and the South, which polled above 50%. The highest was Utah, at 53%. The lowest was Vermont, at 21%.

I've been seeing articles lately about the religious revival trend among Gen Z. It's not clear whether it's a fad or a serious change that people are undergoing, but there's definitely some interesting things taking place, such as the Asbury revival a year ago at a Christian college in Kentucky. What started as a small chapel service suddenly exploded into a spiritual revival event drawing tens of thousands of mostly Gen Z visitors every day for a couple of weeks.

On Twitter there's been some debate whether what happened at Asbury was a genuine revival, or a fad that fizzled after a few days or weeks. I'm not enough of an expert to know; I'm a Jew, not a Christian, too, so maybe an evangelical Christian or someone like that who is more in the loop when it comes to youth ministry can comment. It does sound as though Gen Zers are becoming more religious, but are rejecting the organized religions of their parents. I wonder if this will translate into a different kind of church, or no church at all. Just people gathering on a weeknight or Sunday in someone's living room?

On the subject of Jews in particular, I will venture a guess/conjecture that secular Jews have become more the norm, but religious Jews who attend synagogue every week (or even twice a day as is the tradition) are also increasing in number, whereas the secular population has peaked and is in decline. It's been projected that because of high birth rates among Orthodox and Chasidic Jews, marrying young and raising families of 4-5 children among the Orthodox, 10-12 among the ultra-Orthodox/Chasidim, the religious population of Jews will increase until it becomes the majority some time late in the century.

Since religious Christians (and Mormons) tend to have large families, one might suppose that the proportion of church going Christians will also increase versus the secular population.

It would also be interesting to learn the religious practices of the enormous numbers of Hispanic migrants entering the country. I assume most of them are Catholic but it's not clear whether they are filling the Catholic pews or not. Any Catholics here care to chime in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality