Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 AM

292 posts, read 544,304 times

Advertisements

Mississippians Go to Church the Most; Vermonters, Least
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,924,442 times
Default "Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics!": Mark Twain

Interesting that the Gallop organization allows between 1 and 4% error rate in their numbers on this particular study, and yet the differences in their numbers between 2008 and 2009 is well inside this error rate. (That means it tends to be statistically the same between those two cited years)

What is interesting would be to look at the trends over decades rather than over just one year. "Sample duration far too short!" would be the response of my stats teacher.

Other reliable polls reported here have shown significant declines for religion over the past 20 to 30 years, with changes in the demographic (baby boomers having shown a distinct and measured lack of interest in church attendance, for example. And their children are following the same trend, being far more interested in texting and their iPods than in Jesus).

Other polls have correctly (but menacingly, IMHO) noted that Islam is on the rise in the world, coincidental with the rising populations of illiterate peasants, often under significant ecological distress (starvation, repression, wars, disease, etc.). This by no means signals some great spiritual awakening, but rather the predictable result of non-critical thinking and the appeal of some promised "nirvana" or "72 virgins" in the face of persistently intolerable living conditions.

The general accomplishment of a quality Grade 12 education in the US coordinates well with a decline in religious participation and of course beliefs. Those numbers also show significantly lower rates of high school matriculation in those same (typically) Southern Baptist states that continue to show stable or possibly rising congregation numbers. These states also show the least output of university graduates per capita. No particular surprise there.

WWW.HIGHEREDUCATION.ORG

What does that suggest I wonder?

Old 02-20-2010, 09:42 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times
I don't doubt the figures for Tennessee. When I was at Home Depot one Sunday I asked a guy working there if it was usually this slow and he told me that everybody was at church and the place will be packed when the services are over. The smaller towns here are like ghost towns on Sunday. Alot of the businesses like restaurants and shops aren't even open until later in the day.
As far as the long term trend concerning religion is concerned I don't believe that this poll proves anything and from everything I've read the younger generations are becoming less religious than their parents or grandparents.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,751,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't doubt the figures for Tennessee. When I was at Home Depot one Sunday I asked a guy working there if it was usually this slow and he told me that everybody was at church and the place will be packed when the services are over. The smaller towns here are like ghost towns on Sunday. Alot of the businesses like restaurants and shops aren't even open until later in the day.
As far as the long term trend concerning religion is concerned I don't believe that this poll proves anything and from everything I've read the younger generations are becoming less religious than their parents or grandparents.
Yes, Sunday morning is a great time to go for a bike ride here, because the roads are deserted. But heaven help you if you're out there when church lets out! Sunday morning would be a great time to go shopping, except nothing is open until 11, and by then most of them are getting out of church and they're usually irritable for some reason.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,580,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Interesting that the Gallop organization allows between 1 and 4% error rate in their numbers on this particular study, and yet the differences in their numbers between 2008 and 2009 is well inside this error rate. (That means it tends to be statistically the same between those two cited years)

What is interesting would be to look at the trends over decades rather than over just one year. "Sample duration far too short!" would be the response of my stats teacher.

Other reliable polls reported here have shown significant declines for religion over the past 20 to 30 years, with changes in the demographic (baby boomers having shown a distinct and measured lack of interest in church attendance, for example. And their children are following the same trend, being far more interested in texting and their iPods than in Jesus).

Other polls have correctly (but menacingly, IMHO) noted that Islam is on the rise in the world, coincidental with the rising populations of illiterate peasants, often under significant ecological distress (starvation, repression, wars, disease, etc.). This by no means signals some great spiritual awakening, but rather the predictable result of non-critical thinking and the appeal of some promised "nirvana" or "72 virgins" in the face of persistently intolerable living conditions.

The general accomplishment of a quality Grade 12 education in the US coordinates well with a decline in religious participation and of course beliefs. Those numbers also show significantly lower rates of high school matriculation in those same (typically) Southern Baptist states that continue to show stable or possibly rising congregation numbers. These states also show the least output of university graduates per capita. No particular surprise there.

WWW.HIGHEREDUCATION.ORG

What does that suggest I wonder?
If you are going to do an intellectual analysis at least spell Gallup right,even a southerner can do that.

I prefer Multivariate Statistcs or Hypothesis Testing myself.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:38 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,199,501 times
Lamplight: Right you are! Sunday morning in Texas is a great time for a motorcycle ride. I got stuck in a small town when church let out recently, and it was a BIG mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality