Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I have mixed feelings about Zillow. It's kind of a cool tool for browsing, but I question the value estimates. The zestimate on our home is off by about 100k. There is no sales info listed.
It's a "guesstimate" at best...sometimes close, sometimes wildly off.

For some reason they've always "zestimated" our current house way lower than what we paid for it, even though I know we didn't overpay based on comps and other factors. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I have mixed feelings about Zillow. It's kind of a cool tool for browsing, but I question the value estimates. The zestimate on our home is off by about 100k. There is no sales info listed.
Definitely. Here in TX, the state does not provide sales information so it goes off of county tax appraisal info. It's waaaay off market value.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
My sold price showed up about a month after our close on the site. I don't mind since it is public knowledge and posted in your local papers as well. What's funny is when we bought our house and it showed in the paper we were almost double the no.2 home sale in the town, lol. This is not because we overpaid but we just bought a house that was more expensive in the first place. We actually got a good deal and paid almost $40k below asking, they lost money on the deal and we ended up with $15k in equity when we signed.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:23 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Hmm. Ours shows 35k less than what we paid. It's showing the loan amount on my home as the sold price.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Definitely. Here in TX, the state does not provide sales information so it goes off of county tax appraisal info. It's waaaay off market value.
And the seller would need to give permission for the agent to give Zillow that info.

I would suspect the agents are not getting the permission if they are posting.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM

257 posts, read 550,024 times
Our house on Zillow is showing a sold price that is significantly higher than what we paid -- almost $80k higher. Clearly that information is not coming from the public record. Also, the addition of this inflated sale price hasn't raised our Zestimate, which is about $80k lower than what the house appraised at.

Zillow is a complete joke.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
The new Zillow is fairly accurate. At one time they had my home valued at 750K, at the peak of the housing boom it might have gone for 425K and now they have it at 378K which is about where it should be. I think they had a lot of complaints and finally started getting realistic. I still wouldn't trust them if I was selling or buying though.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 13,402 times
Sold price on my previous house is $80,000 below what we sold it for and it's marked as listed in 2010 though it was listed for and went on rent and we only listed it for sale in 2012 after 2 year lease. They can seriously misguide next buyer into thinking that house was unsellable for 2 years and was sold for so little so there is something wrong with it. New owner is trying to sort it out with Zillow.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
I live in an area where sales are public info - the "SOLD" price on Zillow is correct, although it takes some time after the sale for the info to become public and for the price to be posted. Until then the property just shows as "listing removed." When the price becomes public, a new line is added to the listing that says "Sold price" and the date the sale became official.

The Zestimate, on the other hand, has been running at least 10-15% below the actual sales price. The house we recently bought was initially listed for about 35% over the Zestimate (which was unreasonable, given comps, and it sat, without offers, for more than a year). When we finally looked at it, the ask price was about 20% over. We ended up paying about 10% over the Zestimate price and the appraisal was about 15% over.

I had about 15 houses on my watch list. I watched, over a period of the last 3 months, as they gradually sold and the Zestimate averaged about 12% low, compared to the actual selling price. The exceptions would be the houses that were REOs, some of which were in really sad shape. Those went for at or below the Zestimate.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:23 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Zestimates will never be accurate because they will never walk through the inside of the house to compare all those things that drive price differences between homes in a neighborhood.

The Sold prices have been on our listings for quite some time. I think states that don't disclose sales price may be the ones seeing changes, not sure how Zillow is getting the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate