Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM

173 posts, read 2,151,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Occupy Zillow !
Now that's a good idea

If you think that Zillow is basically occupying your front yard by imposing an unwanted zestimate on your home it's about time the "Occupy" guys woke up to the intrusion of companies like Zillow in their desire to make a quick buck. Do they care if the information they publish is correct? of course not as that's not one of their considerations at all. It's all about attracting eyeballs to their website and advertising revenues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 PM

422 posts, read 1,476,251 times
now you folks would think that everybody should know that zillow numbers are grossly inaccurate....well, one day i was talking to this "supposedly" expert (professor who had graduated from one of the top ivy-leagues) about my househunting expedition....and he was like telling me i shoudn't look at property info on the property assessor databases (that i use only for referencing but i so look at SOLD/listing prices) but should look at zillow and yahoo!real estate instead and i was like "WHAT!"??

Old 12-13-2011, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,242 times
Kind of terrible here that every single rant about zillow is a reflection of someone's ignorance of what a free market is. Zillow makes Zestimates. Im Jim, I make Jestimates. If people come to my website to shop for homes, and look at my Jestimates (along with my disclosure same as Zillows), and make decisions from that, That is THEIR CHOICE. They can CHOOSE to go elsewhere. I am not forcing them to visit my website. If I advertise my website and people come to it and view my OPINION (Jestimate) or View my Database, that is perfectly ETHICAL and LEGAL. If a person does not buy your home from viewing Zillow, that is YOUR problem, MAKE YOUR OWN WEBSITE or CONVINCE PEOPLE NOT TO GO ON ZILLOW, but do not say they are doing something ethically wrong. Zestimates are the most efficient, CHEAP, method of valuing a home. It is not their JOB to be accurate, it is there job to get people to come to the website so they can make money. IF their product was bad, they wont be out of business. This is how free markets work. Clearly, they cant be that bad, otherwise no one would visit the website. Appraisals are done to determine values, not Zestimates. If any of you think any bank uses zillow as an appraisal source before financing a home buyer you are 100% Wrong. Therefore, don't tell lies and don't hate on a great business. Make your own websites and estimates and throw it up on google, your allowed to.... WHY DONT WE SHUT DOWN KELLY BLUE BOOK and regulate them by the SEC... unbelievable. Please list other FREE websites with Databases of all the homes that is an alternative to zillow. You cant find one because it is HARD WORK to get all the data on home sales nationwide and make a rough calculation on the value of someone's home. Rough Estimates will be disagreed with, and that is the only way something FREE like this can be made to the public.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Occupy Zillow !
What a great idea

Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Surbiton, virtually all your posts are about how terrible Zillow is. Most people on this forum already know their "Zestimates" are off base. What is your real agenda here?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,139,858 times
I just purchased a home in Baltimore for 48k. Zillows zestimates it at 122k. Needless to say I'm a fan

Old 12-20-2011, 03:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom
Occupy Zillow !

Now that's a good idea

If you think that Zillow is basically occupying your front yard by imposing an unwanted zestimate on your home it's about time the "Occupy" guys woke up to the intrusion of companies like Zillow in their desire to make a quick buck. Do they care if the information they publish is correct? of course not as that's not one of their considerations at all. It's all about attracting eyeballs to their website and advertising revenues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom
Occupy Zillow !

What a great idea

LOL

Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Surbiton, if your neighbors are busting your chops over your house having a lower zestimate than theirs, you really need to let go. NO ONE uses that site for anything that has any real impact on a real estate transaction. You seriously sound like my neighbor who complains that an identical house to his in our development has a "Zestimate" $60k higher than his and everyone elses. Of course, he neglects the fact that Zillow thinks that house is 9,999 square feet (it's actually 1,700) and that the house sold in the past 18 months for around $70k less than Zillow thinks it's worth. Just like you, I assure my neighbor whenever he mentions it, that it doesn't matter what Zillow says, no one actually thinks that house is worth that much.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 PM

NO but I do have issues that a company can publish an inaccurate valuation of private property when it acknowledges that they are mapping it against the wrong city, but still refuse to correct the incorrect valuation. If I lived in Russia or some other repressed country maybe that type of behavior is accepted but certainly not here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Surbiton, if your neighbors are busting your chops over your house having a lower zestimate than theirs, you really need to let go. NO ONE uses that site for anything that has any real impact on a real estate transaction. You seriously sound like my neighbor who complains that an identical house to his in our development has a "Zestimate" $60k higher than his and everyone elses. Of course, he neglects the fact that Zillow thinks that house is 9,999 square feet (it's actually 1,700) and that the house sold in the past 18 months for around $70k less than Zillow thinks it's worth. Just like you, I assure my neighbor whenever he mentions it, that it doesn't matter what Zillow says, no one actually thinks that house is worth that much.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 PM

So 12 months later I see that the Zillow executives are up to the same old tricks selling their cheap stock options to pay for their Thanksgiving groceries. Have they no hope in Zillows future prospects when they continually keep selling stock the same way as most people go to the ATM machine? Admittedly the stock is substantially down in recent weeks but these guys keep selling. Makes you wonder what they know that investors don't

Z Insider Transactions | Zillow, Inc. Stock - Yahoo! Finance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate