Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:31 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I kinda like that feature. I like seeing what crazy figures people attach to their houses. It's entertaining.
Yes, me too. You look at the numbers and you say : you stay there where you are, dude ))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post

The only way it would bring a buyer is if you have a super unique house that someone can't find elsewhere, ...
Or may be somebody has grounds to believe that there is a gold mine in your back yard, or oil .... lol

Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Do you seriously think someone using that feature would price their home in line with the market? You're saying, yes I'll move but not for market value but for much more since I really don't want to move but for the right amount of money will.

JMHO, it's a stupid and meaningless feature on zillow for 99% or people out there.
It could be used as a way to underprice your home too...so that someone seeing a home for that price among higher prices homes would show an interest.

I checked on Zillow out of curiousity for the home I grew up in. I'm not really interested in buying one, but I wanted to see what it would cost. Just over $100K. Too much, in my opinion, since it was probably purchased for $40K or less.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It could be used as a way to underprice your home too...so that someone seeing a home for that price among higher prices homes would show an interest.

I checked on Zillow out of curiousity for the home I grew up in. I'm not really interested in buying one, but I wanted to see what it would cost. Just over $100K. Too much, in my opinion, since it was probably purchased for $40K or less.
You may not be aware of the fact that markets fluctuate so what the home was purchased for has little relevance. Value is dynamic not static.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Do you seriously think someone using that feature would price their home in line with the market? You're saying, yes I'll move but not for market value but for much more since I really don't want to move but for the right amount of money will.

JMHO, it's a stupid and meaningless feature on zillow for 99% or people out there.
I agree. Total waste of time for wanna-be seller, total waste of time for wanna-be buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Once the house is listed we live differently: no strong-smelling food (unless it's cookies, of course), work on only one project at a time, ready to throw it in a box at a moment's notice, clean everything more often than usual, take the pictures off the refrigerator, leave none of our regular stuff on the counters, be ready to leave the house on short notice and tell the cats not to shed or throw up while we're gone, etc. Not fun, especially in a buyers' market, when it can be for a long time.
Exactly! I'm selling my house and it's never been this clean before! I've hardly ever even seen a house this clean in my whole life! I'd say my house right now is cleaner than 99% of the houses I've ever been in! (Excluding new never lived in houses.)

I suppose it's arguable whether the house being clean, neat, de-cluttered, freshly painted, etc. is important. We could argue whether or not baking cookies is important!

Quote:
We will probably do this too. The Realtors don't mind this? If they bring a buyer are you offering them the listing agent's commission, or is their only motivation finding the best home for their buyer?
Imagining a real estate agent turning down a commission is like trying to imagine a dog not scarfing up a steak. I'm sure they'll do the sale on either end if there is a reasonable commission compatible with the amount of work necessary. They might even negotiate down from the typical 5%-6% if the seller already has a buyer lined up.

How many sellers are able to reliably price their homes? From what I can see even those with agents look like about 20% of them are pricing their homes for what they wish they could sell them for rather than what they could reasonably expect to get.

And why would a buyer want this? They can have their own dedicated, loyal to them buying agent and have the seller pay the commission! I can see why some people want to sell their homes without an agent but I can't comprehend why anybody would want to buy a home without an agent.

And Zillow is a good idea backed up by poor out-of-date data. My house is currently listed and Zillow thinks it's worth $30K more than my asking price! I only wish somebody would see my house on Zillow and snap it up at $30K over my asking price! Hell, I'll even take $10K over my asking price!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You may not be aware of the fact that markets fluctuate so what the home was purchased for has little relevance. Value is dynamic not static.

Markets fluctuate, and prices go up--but that doesn't mean that I have to be willing to pay an increased price. I don't buy meat because of the prices of it.

Lovehound, maybe they're adding in that figure to cover the taxes, transfer fees and agent's commission.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:29 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I agree. Total waste of time for wanna-be seller, total waste of time for wanna-be buyer.
There are posts in this thread of those who have had some success with the Make Me Move feature so I wouldn't call it a waste of time.
It also only takes about 2 minutes to put your house on, so instead of posting one post on city-data someone puts their house on zillow.
And no I am not a big zillow backer but it has a couple of useful features for people, it just has no idea what homes are worth which was it's main advertising push when it came out.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Okay Mike, you win. The Zillow "Make Me Move" feature is a partial waste of time.

Actually Zillow is quite nice for their oblique views of properties. Google Maps satellite view gives only a top down view, Zillow has that plus oblique (from an angle) views from each of the four directions, or at least it does on some properties including mine. Of course Google Maps street view is quite nice too when it covers a property that interests you.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,573,452 times
Quote:
There is an old thread about this, but no recent discussion. A couple years ago I put a "Make Me Move" price on my home, just for fun, although we had no intention of putting our house on the market.
In movies and TV shows sometimes you see a guy with tons of money who buys a house for some reason and willingly pays double what it is worth. It seems like "make me move" is a place where homeowners can indulge this fantasy. If you are really going to sell the house, then you might as well use it, but expect most people to offer you a lot less. You might get lucky and sell it before contracting with a REAL ESTATE agent.

It's sort of like "lottery" ads. You've got to play to win. But most people don't get their fantasies.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:50 PM

83 posts, read 206,370 times
Zillow is also great for seeing the approximate layout of property lines in a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate