Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Every one I've seen is 20% (or more) over market value.
And that's how it has been used. "Give me enough and I'll think about it." Hence, "Make Me Move."

But could it work, if used by people who were interested in selling (and not just playing around on the internet)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
I kinda like that feature. I like seeing what crazy figures people attach to their houses. It's entertaining.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Every one I've seen is 20% (or more) over market value.
That is because Zillow is useless.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
If someone was even willing to pay the asking price I doubt it would appraise in today's market.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If someone was even willing to pay the asking price I doubt it would appraise in today's market.
Agreed. If a cash buyer falls in love with the house at the expense of all the others that are properly (or close to properly) priced, then I guess it could happen. Since it's spring training, I'll also say that the Pittsburgh Pirates have a chance to win the 2011 World Series too.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
There is an old thread about this, but no recent discussion. A couple years ago I put a "Make Me Move" price on my home, just for fun, although we had no intention of putting our house on the market. Now, a couple years later, we are planning to move - not quite yet, but when the time is right. But if someone were to show interest in buying our house, that might be the time.

So I've rethought the Make Me Move thing. Before, I thought of it like the name implies: "I'm not trying to sell, but for the right price you might get me out." Now I think it could be a decent tool, if used by enough people. It could be a way to let people know that I am interested in selling, but not ready to list - but I could get ready in a hurry if someone were interested. (Of course, if someone showed serious interest, we could quickly get a Realtor.)

Any thoughts?
I had my house on make me move for a while. I didn't think it would bring me any buyers but was open to selling and figured it couldn't hurt. At the same time I don't expect it to do anything.

Most people have crazy prices anyway so it's almost a pointless system.

The only way it would bring a buyer is if you have a super unique house that someone can't find elsewhere, if your in a tract subdivion people will just look at the other houses that are really on the market.

The only other time I could see it being effective is say someone wants to buy a house next door or close to their bf/gf, mother, brother, sister, etc. They may see your open to selling and inquire for more info but otherwise there's really no reason to deal wtih someone who may or may not want to move and who will probably only move for top dollar when there is so much else on the market

Old 02-19-2011, 11:25 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Am I understanding what you're saying? You're going to list, show, etc and then if someone is seriously interested, you'll get a realtor?
Hah!, what is the point in getting a realtor, if you already have a serious buyer?! Just to donate 10-20 K to the real estate business recovery?

Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
For me the "Make me Move" thing was something I posted on Zillow a few years ago.

We have started getting the word out into the community that our home will be for sale in the near future. We have had garage sales the past two years with signs saying something to the effect of , "We soon plan on moving to our Florida home, so eventually everything, including this house will be For Sale"

We are getting rid of almost everything, repainting rooms, decluttering, (although we never did have too much to declutter), basically making the house perfect for showing.

I have spoken to a few Realtors, who have done CMA's for us, etc. They know we are not ready to list now, and if a buyer comes along prior to our listing with the right numbers, etc, we will sell to them. About 10% of homes today are sold without a Realtor, and our home is nice enough in looks and location to perhaps do just that.

That being said, I fully know the advantages of using a good Realtor, MLS, etc, and will go that route if needed. We'll see. We have one of the nicest homes in the most desirable area of our county.......so I am not worried about selling. The Realtors I've spoken to have almost begged for the listing and have told us they wished all sellers prepared a home to sell like we have.

Where we are there is one large Realty company that list and sell 58% of the market here. They do things well. We have spoken to the top three of those Realtors....the ones who have the highest amount of sales, listings, etc. They also have the best numbers of percent of sales amount compared to listing price, days on market, etc.

If you pay 6% regardless, (and I know that is not always the case), why would you list with anyone other then the heaviest hitters to whom you have a good working relationship?

Frank
It's almost a cliche' that most buyer's think this way . . . their home is "special," it is sooooooooo special buyers will be flocking to them and they will get 20% over market value, EASY. The sale will happen overnight, with no problems . . .

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's almost a cliche' that most buyer's think this way . . . their home is "special," it is sooooooooo special buyers will be flocking to them and they will get 20% over market value, EASY. The sale will happen overnight, with no problems . . .

Good luck!
Who said anything about getting 20% over market value?
My house will sell because it will be priced competitively, show well and be in move in condition. I designed and built this house myself, and am a licensed Home Inspector. The fact that it is a great location, with acreage, etc, and there is a scarcity of higher end homes for sale in the area will only help. I"m not looking for top buck...someone will get a nice house at a good price, due to the market. Good for them.......

I have no time constraints, so all is well on this end. I hope this is sooooooo understandable to you.

Frank

Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
That is because Zillow is useless.
For the most part it is. I do use it just to be able to punch in a zip code and have the map come up for what is in the area.

I also do have my home on Make Me Move at a price a good bit above market. I am not actively looking to sell but if I get my price I would.
The site is not great for much but it does have some useful features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate