Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:25 PM

9 posts, read 30,193 times

Advertisements

I was just visiting the Raleigh area and could not believe how aggressive the driving was! Tailgating, cutting off, speeding and no blinkers! My travel was only between Cary and Raleigh- is it like this all over the Raleigh area now? I'd like to move somewhere around Raleigh that is laid back, not like East LA, Boston, NY or NJ!! Any suggestions please??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 07:30 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
Yes.

It didn't used to be.

Hmm. What has changed? Hmm. Maybe it's everyone who has moved here from where drivers tailgate, cut people off, speed, and don't use blinkers?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Yes.

It didn't used to be.

Hmm. What has changed? Hmm. Maybe it's everyone who has moved here from where drivers tailgate, cut people off, speed, and don't use blinkers?
Yes--no offense to the original poster, but when you have thousands upon thousands moving here every year from NYC/NJ etc, then they're going to bring their aggressive driving ways here (I recall a poster not so long ago from NY who literally said NC drivers don't drive aggressively enough! ). With our population booming, traffic certainly isn't going to get any better, but worse (you can almost measure the extra minutes in your commute, with each passing year or two). If traffic is your worry, then Raleigh is NOT for you!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:34 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,620 times
I am with you, Brentwood. Grew up in the area and it didn't use to be this bad. I remember moving to DC and having to learn to drive "DC style". Came back and saw that Raleigh had caught up.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:46 PM

71 posts, read 210,292 times
What about all those people who think they're Nascar drivers and want to draft behind you so they tailgate and then whip around to pass you like it's the last lap. lol. definitely NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes--no offense to the original poster, but when you have thousands upon thousands moving here every year from NYC/NJ etc, then they're going to bring their aggressive driving ways here (I recall a poster not so long ago from NY who literally said NC drivers don't drive aggressively enough! ). With our population booming, traffic certainly isn't going to get any better, but worse (you can almost measure the extra minutes in your commute, with each passing year or two). If traffic is your worry, then Raleigh is NOT for you!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 30,193 times
This is sad news I always heard such good things about the Raleigh area, it is too bad that is getting so nuts. Well, can you recommend any other sections around the county that are more low key? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,368 times
I can promise you - the driving here is NOTHING like it is in NY. Not even close.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8urgrl View Post
What about all those people who think they're Nascar drivers and want to draft behind you so they tailgate and then whip around to pass you like it's the last lap. lol. definitely NC.
Oh...so you have seen hubby drive, huh?!!

And he was born in NC!

Vicki

Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,234 times
Are you kidding me? People round here drive like they are all 95 years old. Oh and there seems to be some huge magnet drawing everyone to the passing lane. Especially strong if someone is going particularly slow in the middle lane.

Folks round here need lessons in how to use their right foot when driving IMHO

Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,612 times
If you aint first, you're last. People in NY drive way better than here. I would move back but I couldn't seem to get out from behind this pickup truck going 25 (in the left lane of course) so I turned around and went back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary