Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:28 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i tend to echo the sentiments of ma91pmh and the person who said people dont drive aggressively enough.
Sorry, but you're in the South now, where we do NOT see being "Aggressive" (especially when driving) as a "good" thing. Feel free to move back to your beloved "land of aggressive drivers" any time, if you don't like the way it is here, but don't try to move here and change things to just like they were "up where you come from", please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,818,233 times
I for one like the fact that I almost NEVER hear a horn blow here.

I do wish the turn signal would be used more often but that is about the only complaint this ex-NYer has. I LOVE driving here-I find it just about completely stress free with the possible exception of 40 Eastbound out of RTP in the afternoons and that's a route I really only have to drive a couple of days per year.

I drove from JFK to Lower Manhattan this past Saturday and I felt like freakin'
K-PAX behind the wheel of my rented Elantra. They have this new thing you can buy for your rear bumper that's like a big rubber pillow-I saw a ton of them all over NY. No contest between driving there and here.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,941,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Or "not so young" with a cell phone stuck in their ear. Welcome to the 21st Century.
Yes...and some not so young as well. Not me though because I don't own a cell phone

Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,161,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Sorry, but you're in the South now, where we do NOT see being "Aggressive" (especially when driving) as a "good" thing. Feel free to move back to your beloved "land of aggressive drivers" any time, if you don't like the way it is here, but don't try to move here and change things to just like they were "up where you come from", please.
big middle finger to you (in the spirit of rude gestures of the road ). thanks for the advice. i live in america, sorry you think the south is a different place, but knowing how to drive or not is not a regional thing.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:25 AM

51 posts, read 153,772 times
The thing that gripes me more than the other fellow motorists driving aggressively is the police and sherrifs and highway patrol doing it. Ever see them without headlights on in the rain? Ever see them speeding..even if it is going with the flow of traffic...that is speeding? Ever see them not use signals? i see all of that all the time. Then they have the nerve to ticket citizens when they do the very same things! When you call the law on them you are told...well..they might be on a "secret mission" and have to be discreet but get somewhere in a hurry. That must happen a lot!

Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM

346 posts, read 613,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
big middle finger to you (in the spirit of rude gestures of the road ). thanks for the advice. i live in america, sorry you think the south is a different place, but knowing how to drive or not is not a regional thing.
I beg to differ...driving habits are regional...thats why there are so many conflicting styles and types...I was once driving thru VA and on the interstate...people driving slower in the left lane refusing to move over when someone approacing from behind overtakes them,,,they just plod along...Now about that rude gesture thing...dont know where you've been but isnt NC a right to carry state? I know I will be

Old 11-21-2009, 05:18 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,178,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
I beg to differ...driving habits are regional...thats why there are so many conflicting styles and types...I was once driving thru VA and on the interstate...people driving slower in the left lane refusing to move over when someone approacing from behind overtakes them,,,they just plod along...Now about that rude gesture thing...dont know where you've been but isnt NC a right to carry state? I know I will be
Exceed the speed limit in VA and you will be very sorry.

Might be why folks will not exceed posted limit in left lane.

Left lane drivers are targeted.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Exceed the speed limit in VA and you will be very sorry.

Might be why folks will not exceed posted limit in left lane.

Left lane drivers are targeted.
Not questioning that but everone was in the left lane and they were not at the speed limit..I was coming back from visiting friends in Portsmouth VA so I spent little time in the left lane as lanes 2 and 3 were open...also got lucky as I did not see any cops except around the big cities.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,247,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Somebody say, "AMEN!"

AMEN...

I'm not too late am I?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 PM

The origin of this thread is agressive drivers around Raleigh...so in that vein...I do not think this is any different than anywhere else...IMHO one needs to be some what agressive just to stay alive out there...I know when I am on my m/c I am very agressive...but not in a way that is offensive to others...for example I do not follow cars or ride alongside any vehicles...I always pass them...I cant tell you how many times people in cars dont see me and they dont even look... yet they are trying to take my space...I suspect I wont be riding the beltway on the bike at all...I despise those types of roads when I'm on two wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary