Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:26 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
The HOA (assuming the streets weren't privately owned by the property owners or HOA) couldn't have legally done anything about parking on the streets anyway - you would've had to petition the city or NCDOT to ask to make them No Parking areas. I'm sure it was a big issue (I've had similar ones myself) especially for emergency services but getting no street parking on residential streets is a lot harder than most people assume.
and then people would complain about ugly no parking signs being stuck in their front yards (it happened once when I was working in Wilmington)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
and then people would complain about ugly no parking signs being stuck in their front yards (it happened once when I was working in Wilmington)
Ugggh. That must've been fun. So you're supposed to make a street no parking and have someone enforce it but can't have a sign? Yeah. Right. People are ridiculous some times.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,478 times
The next issue that came from parking all up and down the street was mail delivery, another thread here. The mailman refused to get out of his vehicle and walk to the mailboxes, that were being blocked by parked cars. So if your neighbor parked in front of your box, you got no mail, unless you happened to be home and walked out and met him in the street. I called 911 one day, as stupid as I felt for doing so, I was told to call them from a police dispatcher. My next door neighbor had been parking in front of my house for 3+ days in a row. The mailman drive by our box without stopping each day, and I was expecting some packages. Called 911, and explained the situation to which they told me, unless they were parked in a no parking zone or blocking a fire hydrant, nothing could be done about them blocking my mailbox. Well, happens that there was a hydrant several feet down from my box! They were told to move it, and never park there again.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:35 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,973 times
With all these cars that park in the street and leave the driveway empty, I wonder if they would start using their garages and driveways if their cars started coming up injured...

(DISCLAIMER: I am in no way advocating foul play)

Old 03-23-2016, 08:12 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
The next issue that came from parking all up and down the street was mail delivery, another thread here. The mailman refused to get out of his vehicle and walk to the mailboxes, that were being blocked by parked cars. So if your neighbor parked in front of your box, you got no mail, unless you happened to be home and walked out and met him in the street. I called 911 one day, as stupid as I felt for doing so, I was told to call them from a police dispatcher. My next door neighbor had been parking in front of my house for 3+ days in a row. The mailman drive by our box without stopping each day, and I was expecting some packages. Called 911, and explained the situation to which they told me, unless they were parked in a no parking zone or blocking a fire hydrant, nothing could be done about them blocking my mailbox. Well, happens that there was a hydrant several feet down from my box! They were told to move it, and never park there again.
I think there's something in the official Postal Service guidelines that say they can't get out of their vehicle for certain things - I remember reading something like that at some point maybe here or somewhere else but that could have changed or I could be wrong because then why would they get out to put packages at doors and stuff?

But anyway, this is always a frustration of mine too. Sometimes our mail wouldn't get delivered if our neighbor wasn't blocking but was just somewhat close to our mailbox, so I asked him to park a bit farther down and he agreed and it's been fine since.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:14 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
Random insurance question - so I got involved in an accident last week. There is no way I was at fault but since the police officer didn't ticket anybody and there were no "witnesses", it seems that the insurance companies have settled on 50/50 fault (the other driver's statement was contrary to mine so it's my word vs. his). Would a 50/50 fault have any effect on my insurance rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary