Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 10:11 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times

Advertisements

I had no problems with Spectrum last week but they have been pretty good about crediting for outages when they occur (without me having to nag them). I think I'm also one of the Spectrum defenders in the area. As long as you are willing to quit them ahead of a price increase (so that you can return as a new customer later) their pricing is very aggressive. [I know this is a problem for some people, but you need to competitively bid out many things to get aggressive pricing - cell phones, insurance, home repair, etc.]

I pay $40/mth for internet - 500 mbps down/20 mbps up (which is plenty fast for my needs). I also have a TV package through them that is competitive with Youtube TV (and includes Bally for the Canes and all the Lifetime/Hallmark channels for my wife - which would require separate subscriptions if I switched). My only complaint is the ~$23/mth broadcast surcharge, but there is a $35 credit for TV for the next 11 months which helps offset that. Also, the fact that I can use the Spectrum app on all the Rokus in the house (and dont have to rent boxes is a huge win).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 10:49 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I had no problems with Spectrum last week but they have been pretty good about crediting for outages when they occur (without me having to nag them). I think I'm also one of the Spectrum defenders in the area. As long as you are willing to quit them ahead of a price increase (so that you can return as a new customer later) their pricing is very aggressive. [I know this is a problem for some people, but you need to competitively bid out many things to get aggressive pricing - cell phones, insurance, home repair, etc.]

I pay $40/mth for internet - 500 mbps down/20 mbps up (which is plenty fast for my needs). I also have a TV package through them that is competitive with Youtube TV (and includes Bally for the Canes and all the Lifetime/Hallmark channels for my wife - which would require separate subscriptions if I switched). My only complaint is the ~$23/mth broadcast surcharge, but there is a $35 credit for TV for the next 11 months which helps offset that. Also, the fact that I can use the Spectrum app on all the Rokus in the house (and dont have to rent boxes is a huge win).
See that's just it....Spectrum makes you jump through hoops and play their games just to get a better deal and even then it's only good for so many months before the price increases. I also hate being forced to bundle services which is why I don't do business with AT&T either.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:27 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
See that's just it....Spectrum makes you jump through hoops and play their games just to get a better deal and even then it's only good for so many months before the price increases. I also hate being forced to bundle services which is why I don't do business with AT&T either.
I understand people's annoyance with it, but that's how lots of different industries operate - spending more money in "conquest" than in servicing loyal companies. With Spectrum, the last 2 deals I had with them were in 2019 (3 yr price guarantee) and again in 2022 (2 yr price guarantee), so the negotiation has been minimal. [Cancel service, move to Google Fiber/YouTubeTV for 30 days (last time was only a couple of days) and then signup with Spectrum as a new customer]. And there are no contracts, unlike cell phone companies who give product discounts out as 24 or 36 monthly bill credits, which "lock" you into that carrier for a period of time.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:41 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
I've had Spectrum for pretty much my entire 17 year run living here in NC, 12.5 of those living in our first house using traditional cable and the past 4.5 years living in a new build using Spectrum fiber. In all that time, there were only two materially significant outages, the first in the middle of a power grid outage where we lost Internet for 6-8 hours beginning middle of the night and the second two years ago for less than an hour.

Much of our experiences are impacted based on where we live, not the service itself. And because Google Fiber is using entirely new infrastructure with brand new lines being installed, their service is less prone to equipment or line failure.

It's also interesting how people's perspectives are biased unconsciously about these things. My next door neighbor uses AT&T and she recently mentioned that there have been hardly any outages since we all moved in. I searched through our community Facebook forum and on average, at least once every quarter someone somewhere in my neighborhood is reporting a service disruption requiring either a router reboot or multiple calls to customer service to get it resolved; many times the situation resolved only after they picked up new equipment and had to install it themselves. A similar search for Spectrum yielded barely one similar complaint each of the four years we've all been living here. Yet because she's been largely unaffected (she's not a super heavy user and doesn't work from home where connectivity is required), she quickly comments on related threads about how reliable her service has been.

My advice would be to ask your immediate neighbors who they're using, for how long, and how many times were there service disruptions. Sometimes houses one street over have completely different experiences and you wouldn't know that it didn't apply to you.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:30 AM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
We were the first in our neighborhood to get ATT fiber 6 years ago. It was less than reliable for the first few years but has been stable for the last 2 or so. Alas, we paid for gig service and doubt we got even half what we paid for.

Made the leap to Google as soon as it was available in November. No problems. Speed in my office (3 floors up and across the house) is 4-5x higher so I'm happy. Plus we save $30 month. We lost power for about 2 hours last week......Google don't know but we had internet when power came back.

Sooo.........after we made the leap ATT came back with a $60/mo. deal. Pfffft.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:12 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
I called this morning to get Google installed. Opened my Spectrum bill and they have refused to honor my one year promo rate and just increased my bill. Spent 30 minutes on the phone trying to tectigy the situation and got nowhere.

So I need to return the equipment. I imagine I can bring their stuff back to the Spectrum store in New Hope Commons? I don't want to go through the Fedex or UPS thing I want to walk out of their store with a receipt. You can still return the modem and router in person I assume?

Old 01-22-2024, 10:37 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
When I pulled the plug on Spectrum several years ago, I was able to return the equipment to a UPS store who took care of shipping at Spectrum's expense. Just be sure you get a receipt and keep it. Sure beats standing in line at a Spectrum store.

Old 01-22-2024, 02:28 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
So I need to return the equipment. I imagine I can bring their stuff back to the Spectrum store in New Hope Commons? I don't want to go through the Fedex or UPS thing I want to walk out of their store with a receipt. You can still return the modem and router in person I assume?
Yes, you can return it to a Spectrum store. Be sure to get a receipt as proof.
https://www.spectrum.net/support/int...trum-equipment

Old 01-22-2024, 07:04 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I called this morning to get Google installed. Opened my Spectrum bill and they have refused to honor my one year promo rate and just increased my bill. Spent 30 minutes on the phone trying to tectigy the situation and got nowhere.

I called Spectrum one time and they refused to lower my rate so I scheduled a service cancellation. A few days later I got a callback asking why I was cancelling the service so I told him and he said "I can give you better pricing deals that the other reps can't" and he did.

Spectrum is actually phasing out the cable boxes now.... https://www.timesunion.com/business/...g-18598158.php

Spectrum phasing out cable boxes, raising rates...

New Spectrum TV customers will get Xumo streaming device instead that costs $60 or $5 a month, which is less than half monthly cost of traditional cable box.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:21 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I called Spectrum one time and they refused to lower my rate so I scheduled a service cancellation. A few days later I got a callback asking why I was cancelling the service so I told him and he said "I can give you better pricing deals that the other reps can't" and he did.

Spectrum is actually phasing out the cable boxes now.... https://www.timesunion.com/business/...g-18598158.php

Spectrum phasing out cable boxes, raising rates...

New Spectrum TV customers will get Xumo streaming device instead that costs $60 or $5 a month, which is less than half monthly cost of traditional cable box.

I called to cancel 2 months ago and they gave me the lowest rate I have ever had with them. This rate was supposed to be for one year. Now 2 months later they started playing games already. I'm done with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: