Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 08:40 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It's the incredible reliability.
+1, my experience too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 08:45 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That's our experience as well. I think we've had Google fiber for at least 4 years. You'll have to pry that luxury out of my cold dead hands.

It's not the speed that keeps me with them. It's the incredible reliability.

I had Spectrum for many years and the service was fairly reliable but Spectrum makes existing customers feel like second class citizens when it comes to special promotions and discounts. They wouldn't budge on lowering the price until after I cancelled my account and only then were they trying to lure me back with special deals....but it was too little too late. Spectrum was costing me $60/month but I'm price locked with T-Mobile 5G wireless at $25/month so it will take a lot for me to even consider giving that up.

Old 01-14-2024, 04:43 PM

281 posts, read 187,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I know most experienced a bad storm this week. My Spectrum service was out close to 30 hours. Did anyone with Google keep service throughout the entire time?
never lost electricity and never lost google fiber signal either

Old 01-14-2024, 09:54 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Spectrum has dug up my street 3 times now trying to restore service to the 10% of people in my small neighborhood that still use them after we got Fiber. Their MO is they will put a wire in the street for 3-4 months, it will eventually fail since it's constantly driven over, then they will come dig up our yards, hit the power lines and cause outages.

Spectrum sends the most low rent contractors out to dig up our yards over and over. If you see a 20 year old pick up with no marking and a bunch of workers with no ID and digging up your yard it's Spectrum.

Old 01-15-2024, 12:32 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
For business reasons I have 2 sources of fiber to my house. I have ATT and also Spectrum. Both have been trouble free since 2020 when I bought my home. I have both on a UPS so even when power goes out, I still have internet as long as the fiber is lit. Lost power twice for an extended period but neither fiber went out.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:17 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
We have Google fiber. I kept losing my work VPN that afternoon, but re started my computer and no issues after that.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:20 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I wonder about the micro-trenching and long-term durability.
The cement(?) sealing the trenches on our street is breaking and has pulled away from the trench walls a bit.
It just doesn't look like a quality grout job, after about 4-5 years.
Just curious.
We have ATT U-verse, so won't be affected by a Google Fiber outage, unless they come in and nuke everything in sight making repairs at some point.
Town of Cary made Google come back to my neighborhood last summer and re-bury the lines because they weren't low enough for the re-paving project they had planned.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:09 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
I was never impressed with Spectrum. Seems like we never reached the level of service they promised (lots of buffering, slow speeds, etc).

When Google finally landed in the neighborhood, I signed up and called to cancel Spectrum. I was asked why I was cancelling and told them. The rep laughed and said they offered the same speed as Google. The service was available had I asked for it. I explained to him that I shouldn't have had to ask and was just another reason to cancel the service.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:30 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I know most experienced a bad storm this week. My Spectrum service was out close to 30 hours. Did anyone with Google keep service throughout the entire time?
No failure with Google Fiber but, I did not loose power...so I have that going for me.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:24 AM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
No failure with Google Fiber but, I did not loose power...so I have that going for me.
Question wasn't about losing power. If you lost power you lost the internet unless you had another source of power. I wanted to know of the people who did not lose power whether Google was up the entire time. I had power the entire time but my Spectrum services were out for over 30 hours. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: