Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times

Advertisements

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but has anyone else noticed that this seems to be happening only in the largest school systems (Wake County, Charlotte-Mecklenburg, and I believe Guilford County) in the state?

I have a few theories on why:

1.) Those areas (especially Wake and Mecklenburg- not so much Guilford) are very expensive to live in on a teacher's salary compared to the rest of the state. Yes, there may be a local supplement, but it's getting eaten up by housing costs, which are taking the extra and then some as housing costs (renting and owning) have soared in those areas much faster than salaries.
2.) Teachers in those counties are a reflection of the people in the communities in which they teach. There are lots of transplant teachers who are used to higher salaries and union representation to assert their interests. That is much less the case in rural, more conservative counties, where the teachers may be more reluctant to be so outspoken about "progressive" viewpoints because of an unspoken rule that "we don't do that here."
3.) The political atmosphere in the larger counties and districts is more geared towards and more accepting of political activism, especially the job-related kind. See #2
4.) The teachers in the large systems may be more removed from the decision makers because of the sheer size of the system. They may see the decision makers (school board and higher level administrators) as being sequestered in some faraway administrative building and not directly accessible to the teachers compared to smaller systems, where the teachers may live in their neighborhoods, go to their churches, have children together in the same scout troop, etc. Anonymity in the larger systems (such as Wake County schools pushing 20,000 employees) may be causing the teachers in those systems to have more of a need to "take to the streets" whereas in the smaller systems the teachers would feel more comfortable meeting up with the decision makers informally to discuss their concerns without the need for a publicized rally.

Does anyone else have a take on this?

Last edited by Jowel; 05-07-2018 at 08:54 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 08:56 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but has anyone else noticed that this seems to be happening only in the largest school systems (Wake County, Charlotte-Mecklenburg, and I believe Guilford County) in the state?

1.) Those areas (especially Wake and Mecklenburg- not so much Guilford) are very expensive to live in on a teacher's salary compared to the rest of the state. Yes, there may be a local supplement, but it's getting eaten up by housing costs, which are taking the extra and then some as housing costs (renting and owning) have soared in those areas much faster than salaries.
2.) Teachers in those counties are a reflection of the people in the communities in which they teach. There are lots of transplant teachers who are used to higher salaries and union representation to assert their interests. That is much less the case in rural, more conservative counties, where the teachers may be more reluctant to be so outspoken about "progressive" viewpoints because of an unspoken rule that "we don't do that here."
3.) The political atmosphere in the larger counties and districts is more geared towards and more accepting of political activism, especially the job-related kind. See #2
4.) The teachers in the large systems may be more removed from the decision makers because of the sheer size of the system. They may see the decision makers (school board and higher level administrators) as being sequestered in some faraway administrative building and not directly accessible to the teachers compared to smaller systems, where the teachers may live in their neighborhoods, go to their churches, have children together in the same scout troop, etc. Anonymity in the larger systems (such as Wake County schools pushing 20,000 employees) may be causing the teachers in those systems to have more of a need to "take to the streets" whereas in the smaller systems the teachers would feel more comfortable meeting up with the decision makers informally to discuss their concerns without the need for a publicized rally.

I think it's a combination of a lot of that.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
At least you have the option of finding a job with better benefits within your field. Teachers in NC have to move to a higher COL state and leave family & friends behind.

Looks like you have to have worked 30 years or are 60 years old and have worked 25 years to receive a pension. You are only being paid a percentage of your max salary (then subtract health insurance costs).

From my brief research, it looks like average yearly pension payment is around $30k. Not very much to live on in retirement. Especially when you factor in the need for more/costly medical procedures as you age or need assistive care.

When you are only making $40k-$60k per year I’m sure it’s hard to put money into a 401k as well.
If you live to 90 that's a 900k post-tax benefit for 25 years of work. I believe the pension contribution is 6% - if you made 60k your entire 25 year teaching career (which is unlikely), your contribution would be 90k.

Sorry...but that's an amazing benefit.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:12 PM

369 posts, read 459,809 times
I’m sorry M378 but no matter what you say, I will not be convinced that teachers are paid properly for what they do for their students. I’m going to stop arguing with you now. Perhaps you should become a teacher if you think it’s an easy job with great benefits?

I think everyone needs to remember that this rally & advocacy day isn’t only about teacher pay/benefits.

It’s about THE STUDENTS. Funding for schools and ballooning class sizes, fixing deteriorating classrooms/buildings, having the resources to allow for nurses, counselors, specials teachers, etc. NC ranks in the bottom of per pupil spending. Our children deserve better. A better educated society makes for a better economy and quality of life for all citizens plain and simple.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:23 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
It’s about THE STUDENTS. Funding for schools and ballooning class sizes, fixing deteriorating classrooms/buildings, having the resources to allow for nurses, counselors, specials teachers, etc. NC ranks in the bottom of per pupil spending. Our children deserve better. A better educated society makes for a better economy and quality of life for all citizens plain and simple.
I agree 100%, even if it means increased taxes.

Unfortunately many talk the talk, but don't want to reach into their own pocket.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:29 PM

369 posts, read 459,809 times
I’d gladly pay more in taxes if it went towards public education (and my children go to private school).

Perhaps we could stop cutting corporate taxes? We already have one of the lowest rates in the country (out of states that have one) and it is set to go lower again. I feel there needs to be some sort of balance here.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:

Guilford, Wake, Durham and Charlotte have the most teachers taking off and going to the rally.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,257 times
This whole county running schools model is flawed. Independent School Districts are the most efficient and productive models. Revenue comes directly from taxpayers (could mean higher residential taxes but lower income taxes) and righteous use of tax dollars, unlike State controlled and managed budgets for schools/counties.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:16 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools are closed, too. (AP exams on that date will be happening.)

Old 05-08-2018, 04:50 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pehchan View Post
This whole county running schools model is flawed. Independent School Districts are the most efficient and productive models. Revenue comes directly from taxpayers (could mean higher residential taxes but lower income taxes) and righteous use of tax dollars, unlike State controlled and managed budgets for schools/counties.
Do you have facts to back that up?

Smaller districts merged because it was more financially efficient. Many were struggling to cover their payroll. Is there actual data that says splitting would be better?

Regardless of size, most states have a system for allocating state tax dollars to communities that struggle to provide appropriate educational services on the local dime. It's a good thing to have well educated citizens all over the state, not just in areas that are wealthy. It sounds like you think that's a bad thing...that you don't want to pay state income tax for that?

The state has oversight into certain areas of spending for good reasons, but they don't 'manage' the budget.

For example, we are required to go to school for 180 days each year. We could save money if we reduced that to 175. If we have too many snow days, we would have to appeal to the state to shorten it. So yeah, the state has some control. That's a good thing.

I lived in NY for 17 years. They have tiny school districts...some with just one elementary, one middle and one high school. The communities fight merging because they don't want strangers educating their kids and don't want to lose their community identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary