Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 07:20 PM

369 posts, read 460,523 times

Advertisements

Something I just learned today...Teachers have to pay for their Subs out of their own pocket for any “personal days”. It doesn’t matter if they are exercising their first amendment right or taking a loved one to a medical procedure. Cost is anywhere from $50-$80 per day.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:26 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
Something I just learned today...Teachers have to pay for their Subs out of their own pocket for any “personal days”. It doesn’t matter if they are exercising their first amendment right or taking a loved one to a medical procedure. Cost is anywhere from $50-$80 per day.
I don't think I've ever gotten "personal time". I get PTO, and it's usually 2-3 weeks depending on the company (that's for the entire year - not 9 months). It doesn't matter if I'm sick, if I'm taking vacation, or if I'm taking the day off to protest. I would happily pay $50 rather than take a PTO day.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:39 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,761,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I give teachers all the props in the world for dealing with the insanity that is today's parents. That in itself is a job that I could never ever deal with.

But I can't get on board with closing down an entire county in order to prove a point.

Nobody does and do you really think anybody else does either? But if that's the way they want to increase their position and salaries, then that's awesome. Maybe that's the best way then can complete that task. Maybe at your job, you can just ask your boss. Or maybe you threaten to leave. Or maybe you have a job that is difficult to fill if you leave, so threatening to leave is enough for your position.

Everyone will do different things to position themselves in a better career. And anyway, don't we live in a capitalist country where this is encouraged? We don't live in communist China or Stalinist North Korea.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:39 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Nixon fired all the air traffic controllers who participated in their illegal job action.

The head of my union was thrown in jail and the union fined almost to insolvency due to theirs.

Yet these teachers will get praise.

Weird world we live in.

That was Reagan.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Nobody does and do you really think anybody else does either? But if that's the way they want to increase their position and salaries, then that's awesome. Maybe that's the best way then can complete that task. Maybe at your job, you can just ask your boss. Or maybe you threaten to leave. Or maybe you have a job that is difficult to fill if you leave, so threatening to leave is enough for your position.

Everyone will do different things to position themselves in a better career. And anyway, don't we live in a capitalist country where this is encouraged? We don't live in communist China or Stalinist North Korea.
If I willingly inconvenienced 100k+ customers with a week's notice, I can guarantee you I would lose my job. And certainly nobody would be making me look like a hero.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:49 PM

369 posts, read 460,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't think I've ever gotten "personal time". I get PTO, and it's usually 2-3 weeks depending on the company (that's for the entire year - not 9 months). It doesn't matter if I'm sick, if I'm taking vacation, or if I'm taking the day off to protest. I would happily pay $50 rather than take a PTO day.
I believe teachers only receive 9 “sick days” per year, so less than your 2-3 weeks of PTO (that I’m guessing will accumulate from year to year). “Personal Days” is the term for any days off that aren’t “sick days”. Another fact...teachers aren’t paid for their summers off. Some may chose to divide their salary over 12 months so they have a paycheck coming in over the summer. They also have to pay a decent sized chunk of their paychecks for their mediocre health/dental insurance.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I believe teachers only receive 9 “sick days” per year, so less than your 2-3 weeks of PTO (that I’m guessing will accumulate from year to year). “Personal Days” is the term for any days off that aren’t “sick days”. Another fact...teachers aren’t paid for their summers off. Some may chose to divide their salary over 12 months so they have a paycheck coming in over the summer. They also have to pay a decent sized chunk of their paychecks for their mediocre health/dental insurance.
You're forgetting vacation.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:54 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
They were urged to take personal days which they are in their rights to do as long as they follow protocol. Districts made the decision to close because they did not have enough subs.

Give me a break, 1000+ teachers putting the district out of a business for the day is not "within their rights" it is an illegal job action for non-union employees in a non-union state. There is no protocol for this many employees taking the day off. It matters not whether you agree with what they are doing or not (and I do - it's high time a stand gets taken against the GA) it doesn't change that fact. If I and my co-workers closed down our fortune 500 company for a day you can be damn sure there would be fallout that we would not like. And I don't have a job where I can get someone to come in and do my work for me, whether I pay them or not. It's all there waiting for me whenever I get in next.

My high schooler is not impacted by this but if I had a HS student who was taking an AP exam on 5/16 I would be royally pissed and the district should have announced the plan for dealing with that AT THE SAME TIME they announced the closing.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:56 PM

466 posts, read 701,397 times
My wife used to teach in elementary school before we were married. I remember visiting her classrooms when I had a break in school and thinking you have to really love this job to do it. Having to deal the problem kids, the annoyingly overbearing parents, the annoyingly absent parents, and even other teachers who would complain about their classrooms so that the principal would put new kids in the classrooms of those who didn't complain even if the numbers weren't even.

She often took work home including grading, coming up with lesson plans, etc. Yes teachers get the summers off but man to me it's not worth it for what you have to deal with the rest of the year.

With that said I will always support teachers trying to make their situations better because it is not a job that I would want or could even do.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:01 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
They also have to pay a decent sized chunk of their paychecks for their mediocre health/dental insurance.
The benefits are terrible. And astronomical for what you get.

Another fact - say you need to go to the doctor, WCPSS requires you to take a half day or full day. You can't roll in an hour late or leave an hour early. It is THE DUMBEST policy in the world. So instead of missing a lesson or two a teacher has to miss at least half a day, get a sub, make lesson plans and so on. I'd rather my kid's teacher only missed the hour or so they needed for their appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.