Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,791,153 times

Advertisements

@ Jersey Man - Backyard faces due west. I was facing north when I shot that pic. We have more than 20 palms between the canal and the pool. The house will give early morning shade to to the pool and those palms will give late day shade. It's now 11:15 AM and the pool hole is in full sun, so we can enjoy the best of all worlds, I think.

We are still on the fence on the heaters. Neighbors like the solar panels. Pool company and my GC who did the wall remodel and roof work hate them. Pool guy says to go with a heat pump. Price wise, they are both about 4k, I just hate the idea of the higher electric bills when I want to heat the pool.

Can any of you Pre-Charley folks who suffered roof damage tell me if your insurance covered the pool solar panels?
That could be a big factor. If it's not insurable, I'm less likely to do it.

One more thing: Now that we've got all this nice natural light in the back of the house, the living room is noticeably darker than the rest. We're thinking of putting in a 14" Sun Tube; like a sky light. Anyone who has one, can you tell me how it affects your LCD TV screen during the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 12:39 PM

Day 2 is done.

They will shoot the shell next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Our Big Wet Dream (pool construction from start to finish)-image.jpg  

Old 04-25-2014, 12:47 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,385,614 times
Looks awesome, you should be swimming in no time!!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:49 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,799,865 times
yes they go fast it seems. MA I had minor tile damage but no damage to my solar heaters. I wouldn't want hight electric bills either in the winter to heat the pool I really didn't swim in the winter, just didn't have the urge but I did have a spa at 100* that was nice on those cold nights.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:08 PM

413 posts, read 831,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
@ Jersey Man - Backyard faces due west. I was facing north when I shot that pic. We have more than 20 palms between the canal and the pool. The house will give early morning shade to to the pool and those palms will give late day shade. It's now 11:15 AM and the pool hole is in full sun, so we can enjoy the best of all worlds, I think.

We are still on the fence on the heaters. Neighbors like the solar panels. Pool company and my GC who did the wall remodel and roof work hate them. Pool guy says to go with a heat pump. Price wise, they are both about 4k, I just hate the idea of the higher electric bills when I want to heat the pool.

Can any of you Pre-Charley folks who suffered roof damage tell me if your insurance covered the pool solar panels?
That could be a big factor. If it's not insurable, I'm less likely to do it.

One more thing: Now that we've got all this nice natural light in the back of the house, the living room is noticeably darker than the rest. We're thinking of putting in a 14" Sun Tube; like a sky light. Anyone who has one, can you tell me how it affects your LCD TV screen during the day?
Our house had a solar heater before we purchased it.Do not know the circumstances as to why it was removed. A new roof had been installed not sure if it was due to Charlie or not. When I asked my home inspector about it he said he would not install one as he hardly ever inspected a home that had a collector that did not have roof rot due to leaking.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:10 AM

3,178 posts, read 6,030,075 times
$4,000 for solar or heat pump??? That's high for both MA. Solar for that size pool should be no more than $3,000. You can get a nice heat pump for $2,500, plus whatever you need done for electric hook-up. I would shop these for better pricing.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:43 AM

191 posts, read 300,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
When I asked my home inspector about it [solar heater] he said he would not install one as he hardly ever inspected a home that had a collector that did not have roof rot due to leaking.

I know a home inspector who says the exact same thing. Also, both my father-in-law and brother-in-law have solar heaters on their roofs. Both have had roof rot on the same area of the roof where the heater used to be located. I say used to be because when they had new roofs installed they removed the heaters. My brother-in-law has a heat pump now and my father-in-law has nothing (he never swims in his pool in the winter).

Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 PM

Rebar, ground wires, drains and light housing all went in today. County inspection tomorrow, followed by concrete shell shoot on Wednesday.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:51 PM

7,510 posts, read 22,980,516 times
Sounds like it's really moving along! It's always good to know a few good pool contractors in the area. I've used Casa Pools on many occasions but I've never used Precision Pools. Keep updating us so we know how it turned out.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 PM

Thanks Shan. I guess the big hold up is paver production. Ours are coming from a Sarasota concrete paver plant called Stabil. The don't produce them until we order them and the can take 3-4 weeks to deliver. We have a a thousand sq feet of pavers ordered for the job so things could come to a screetching halt after our plumming finishes while we wait for pavers.

Here's a sample of the paver style...color patterns will vary.
Attached Thumbnails
Our Big Wet Dream (pool construction from start to finish)-image.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte