Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:53 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times

Advertisements

The danger of spider bites:

Most spiders found in the United States are harmless, with the exception of the black widow and the brown recluse spiders (sometimes called the violin spider). Both of these spiders are found in warm climates.
What is a brown recluse spider?

The brown recluse spider, or violin spider, is about 1 inch long and has a violin shaped mark on its upper back. It is often found in warm, dry climates and prefers to stay in undisturbed areas such as basements, closets, and attics. It is not an aggressive spider, but will attack if trapped or held against the skin. One death -- in December, 2001 -- has been reported in the United States from a brown recluse bite.
What are the symptoms of a brown recluse spider bite?

Venom from the brown recluse spider usually causes local tissue damage. The following are the most common symptoms of a bite from a brown recluse spider bite. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:

* burning, pain, itching, or redness at the site which is usually delayed and may develop within several hours or days of the bite
* a deep blue or purple area around the bite, surrounded by a whitish ring and large red outer ring similar to a "bulls eye"
* an ulcer or blister that turns black
* headache, body aches
* rash
* fever
* nausea or vomiting

These symptoms of a brown recluse spider bite may resemble other conditions or medical problems. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.
Treatment for a brown recluse spider bite:

Specific treatment for a brown recluse spider bite will be determined by your physician. Treatment may include:

* Wash the area well with soap and water.
* Apply a cold or ice pack wrapped in a cloth, or a cold, wet washcloth to the site.
* To protect against infection, particularly in children, apply an antibiotic lotion or cream.
* Give acetaminophen for pain.
* Elevate the site if the bite occurred on an arm or leg (to help prevent swelling).
* Seek immediate emergency care for further treatment. Depending on the severity of the bite, treatment can range from administering corticosteroids and other medications to surgery of the ulcerated area. Hospitalization may be needed.
* Prompt treatment is essential to avoid more serious complications, especially in children.

What is a black widow spider?

A black widow spider is a small, shiny, black, button-shaped spider with a red hourglass mark on its abdomen, and prefers warm climates. Black widow spider bites release a toxin that can cause damage to the nervous system, thus emergency medical treatment is necessary.
What are the symptoms of a black widow spider bite?

The following are the most common symptoms of a black widow spider bite. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:

* immediate pain, burning, swelling, and redness at the site (double fang marks may be seen) cramping pain and muscle rigidity in the stomach, chest, shoulders, and back
* headache
* dizziness
* rash and itching
* restlessnes and anxiety
* sweating
* eyelid swelling
* nausea or vomiting
* salivation, tearing of the eyes
* weakness, tremors, or paralysis, especially in the legs

These symptoms of a black widow spider bite may resemble other conditions or medical problems. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.
Treatment for a black widow spider bite:

Specific treatment for a black widow spider bite will be determined by your physician. Treatment may include:

* Apply a cold or ice pack wrapped in a cloth, or a cold, wet washcloth to the site.

* To protect against infection, particularly in children, apply an antibiotic lotion or cream.

* Seek immediate emergency care for further treatment. Depending on the severity of the bite, treatment may include muscle relaxants, pain relievers and other medications, and supportive care. Antivenin may be needed, although it is usually not required. Hospitalization may be needed.

* Prompt treatment is essential to avoid more serious complications, especially in children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:02 PM

15 posts, read 124,160 times
Thank you, Sunrico! I just read this to my son and he is thumbing through his encylopedia to learn even more. My dad had a brown recluse bite on his thigh and it was horrible. He thankfully did not need debridement.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,446 times
I had a brown recluse bite on my left leg and it looks like I was hit by a deer slug. It took about 2 yrs to heal and GOD almighty it stunk like death. It rotted a huge crater and was really painful. I've been zapped by a rattlesnake and the spider was worse. The snake bite was horrible and scary (and $$$), but healed a lot faster.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:24 AM

Location: Griffith, Indiana (right outside of Chicago, Illinois)
5 posts, read 108,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
I had a brown recluse bite on my left leg and it looks like I was hit by a deer slug. It took about 2 yrs to heal and GOD almighty it stunk like death. It rotted a huge crater and was really painful. I've been zapped by a rattlesnake and the spider was worse. The snake bite was horrible and scary (and $$$), but healed a lot faster.
Yes, I can understand the need of such a defense for a snake or a lizard, etc., But I don't understand why a creature like the spider (so small) needs a defense system so horrendously devastating and sometimes deadly!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:38 AM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
The danger of spider bites:

Most spiders found in the United States are harmless, with the exception of the black widow and the brown recluse spiders (sometimes called the violin spider). Both of these spiders are found in warm climates.
What is a brown recluse spider?

The brown recluse spider, or violin spider, is about 1 inch long and has a violin shaped mark on its upper back. It is often found in warm, dry climates and prefers to stay in undisturbed areas such as basements, closets, and attics. It is not an aggressive spider, but will attack if trapped or held against the skin. One death -- in December, 2001 -- has been reported in the United States from a brown recluse bite.
What are the symptoms of a brown recluse spider bite?

Venom from the brown recluse spider usually causes local tissue damage. The following are the most common symptoms of a bite from a brown recluse spider bite. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:

* burning, pain, itching, or redness at the site which is usually delayed and may develop within several hours or days of the bite
* a deep blue or purple area around the bite, surrounded by a whitish ring and large red outer ring similar to a "bulls eye"
* an ulcer or blister that turns black
* headache, body aches
* rash
* fever
* nausea or vomiting

These symptoms of a brown recluse spider bite may resemble other conditions or medical problems. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.
Treatment for a brown recluse spider bite:

Specific treatment for a brown recluse spider bite will be determined by your physician. Treatment may include:

* Elevate the site if the bite occurred on an arm or leg (to help prevent swelling).
* Seek immediate emergency care for further treatment. Depending on the severity of the bite, treatment can range from administering corticosteroids and other medications to surgery of the ulcerated area. Hospitalization may be needed.

What is a black widow spider?

A black widow spider is a small, shiny, black, button-shaped spider with a red hourglass mark on its abdomen, and prefers warm climates. Black widow spider bites release a toxin that can cause damage to the nervous system, thus emergency medical treatment is necessary.
What are the symptoms of a black widow spider bite?

The following are the most common symptoms of a black widow spider bite. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:

* immediate pain, burning, swelling, and redness at the site (double fang marks may be seen) cramping pain and muscle rigidity in the stomach, chest, shoulders, and back
* headache
* dizziness
* rash and itching
* restlessnes and anxiety
* sweating
* eyelid swelling
* nausea or vomiting
* salivation, tearing of the eyes
* weakness, tremors, or paralysis, especially in the legs

These symptoms of a black widow spider bite may resemble other conditions or medical problems. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.
Treatment for a black widow spider bite:

Specific treatment for a black widow spider bite will be determined by your physician. Treatment may include:

* Seek immediate emergency care for further treatment. Depending on the severity of the bite, treatment may include muscle relaxants, pain relievers and other medications, and supportive care. Antivenin may be needed, although it is usually not required. Hospitalization may be needed.

Although I know about black widows, I did not know about the brown recluse, which was in my house yesterday. Thanks for the picture and information.

However, I don't think I am going to tell my daughter.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
I got bit on the arm by the inside of my elbow and it was about 15 years before it was gone. It would flare up and re-fester several times a year less and less till it finally went away. It sent me to the hospital and my arm was the size of a softball where I was bit.. My exstream reaction I think was more an allergic reaction though, but I could see one of these things killing a baby or an old person.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:59 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Although I know about black widows, I did not know about the brown recluse, which was in my house yesterday. Thanks for the picture and information.

However, I don't think I am going to tell my daughter.
A bit more info on brown recluse....

Identifying and Misidentifying the Brown Recluse Spider

Old 04-24-2009, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 23,397 times
how would you know if you got bit by a brown recluse and what should be done to help.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:43 AM

187 posts, read 949,874 times
I was bitten by a brown recluse. The first night it looked and felt like a mosquito bite. The second night it looked like a real big pimple. The third night I was missing skin in an area as big as a baseball. The fourth night I was missing skin as big as a football.

My friend told me to go to the ER. The Dr. identified it, gave me a shot and within minutes the deterioration completely abated. Within an hour the healing began and all the symptoms stopped.

Next time I'll go to a walk in clinic on day 3.

I don't think you are very likely to see a brown recluse. I am aware of them and always look for them, yet haven't seen any. On the other hand, Black Widows are highly predictable. In Northwest Florida I routinely find Black Widows inside the water meter boxes outside. I think it is the cooler, dark and wet location. I just know I can count on seeing Black Widows in those water meter boxes outside.

BTW, I'm creeped out by heavy spiders, but there is really nothing for me to fear so I don't let it take extra space in my life. Don't worry.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 20,682 times
This is to pipe layer

I totally agree with you 100% they do intenionally stalk you because I saw it with my own eyes as well. It was late at night, I specifically waited up for them to come out, after being bitten several times on my face and arms, there were several spiders that came out of a crack in the crevis of the ceiling. It saw me and looked at it then it went back in the crack!!
They are evil !!
what do they want with me I am peacfully sleeping I am not in their space !! This was a few months ago, (at least 6 months)- I had the cracks sealed and the property fumigated, until yesterday I had another bite !!! - so yes I am going through the whole process again !!!

By the way I am in sydney Australia and the spider was a white tail, a flesh eating bacteria is injected by the spider

HELPPPP !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte