Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:04 PM

Location: Griffith, Indiana (right outside of Chicago, Illinois)
5 posts, read 108,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! This is the one thing that I am afraid of in Florida!!!!!! Isnt there ANYTHING that a person can use on the thier lawn and in thier home to keep them away???!!
I simply cannot stand them, I know that they do good by eating other insects, but I will NOT live with them in my house or yard.

Jen
Sorry Jen, didn't mean to give anyone the heebee geebee's. If it's any consolation, I don't stay anywhere near Florida, I stay in Northwest Indiana, right outside of Chicago, Illinois. So I don't know what or how the spiders are there in your home town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 PM

460 posts, read 2,344,413 times
Pipelayer, You are not in Florida??? I am in central Illinois right now but will be moving to Florida soon. Here we have spiders but there are always small and easily smashed or sprayed.
I never get spider bites either.
I have a very real, terrible, phobia of spiders.

Jen

Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 PM

See, then it's not a bad thing Jen, those spiders may not be biters like they are here. As far as a phobia goes, who really likes spiders they are indeed creepy looking to me and most everyone else. So why Florida Jen if you dread it? Do you have a choice in the matter ? There are plenty of other warm climate places. See Ya

Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 PM

460 posts, read 2,344,413 times
Oh I love Florida, I always have. Cant wait to move there, but I have read about spiders down there from this forum and its pretty gross.
I think though that if I keep some bug spray handy then I should be o.k.

Jen

Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Check the following site for info on spider bites: brown recluse spider - Loxosceles reclusa Gertsch and Mulaik (http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/spiders/brown_recluse_spider.htm - broken link)

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/spiders/brown_recluse_spider01.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-30-2007, 04:55 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
I just killed a spider today that had to be over an inch inside my house on LI today. My 28 year old security guard daughter (she's twice my size) was STANDING UP on the sofa screaming, "Mom, KILL IT!". I got a big shoe, and swat.

Killed many a bug in my day growing up in NYC. It's just part of "life".

Old 05-30-2007, 04:57 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Check the following site for info on spider bites: brown recluse spider - Loxosceles reclusa Gertsch and Mulaik (http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/spiders/brown_recluse_spider.htm - broken link)

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/spiders/brown_recluse_spider01.jpg (broken link)
Yes, that is what it looked like.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
Oh I love Florida, I always have. Cant wait to move there, but I have read about spiders down there from this forum and its pretty gross.
I think though that if I keep some bug spray handy then I should be o.k.

Jen
Here is a bit of advice, I hope. Unless there is an infestation (in which case you should call an exterminator), I wouldn't go looking & searching for them to spray. In my experience they tend to be more likely to retaliate when someone has riled or disturbed them.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:28 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
The link Sunrico gave is a very good web site. Here is another one concerning the brown recluse in Florida
2004 - Bronson Urges Closer Consideration

If you ever have a wound and a doctor tries to tell you it is a brown recluse bite, read the information on the website. The brown recluse is not a problem here. Black widows and Brown widows are and can give you a nasty bite. The rest are the "good" spiders.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 PM

15 posts, read 124,160 times
My son is obsessed with nature, which is not a bad thing, however it freaks me out a bit when he is "exploring" new things. He seems to know the book on reptiles, insects and the like. While were in PSL for our house stuff he found some red ants to study and got bit. His finger swelled and it was mildly blistered...he has had worse in Maryland. I am sure there is a whole lot of things that are lurking in the preserve behind our future home that can pose a big problem for him. Can someone tell me where I can learn what to avoid and how to show him what not to mess with? He had no fear and since he is a self proclaimed expert on these things it scares me a bit. Not to mention he has an epipen due to bee allergies. Thank you in advace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte