Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 11:27 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of bickering about things in the POC forum. I roll is that our destiny is ours, many don't, it's always some external event or reason why things are as such.

I find these types to be losers in life.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:03 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Wut?

Old 03-09-2024, 07:11 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
This is an argument that I get into with my conservative father a lot. Yes, people are responsible for their own lives, but at the same time, it's naive to think that everyone is starting on equal footing and dealing with the same obstacles and resources. If you're born on third base, it's a lot easier for you to score a home run than someone who has to start from home plate. To me, it's more important to have empathy and look at what people need to succeed rather than calling them losers for failing.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:21 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is an argument that I get into with my conservative father a lot. Yes, people are responsible for their own lives, but at the same time, it's naive to think that everyone is starting on equal footing and dealing with the same obstacles and resources. If you're born on third base, it's a lot easier for you to score a home run than someone who has to start from home plate. To me, it's more important to have empathy and look at what people need to succeed rather than calling them losers for failing.
I like to summarize this with a very earthy quote from, I think, Mike Tyson? I think it goes like "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

Those that strut around as self-proclaimed icons of personal responsibility don't know how close they are to being laid low by circumstances. Like a cancer diagnosis. Or a sudden job loss. Or a car accident.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:33 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I like to summarize this with a very earthy quote from, I think, Mike Tyson? I think it goes like "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

Those that strut around as self-proclaimed icons of personal responsibility don't know how close they are to being laid low by circumstances. Like a cancer diagnosis. Or a sudden job loss. Or a car accident.
I recently saw a meme that was something like "almost all of us could be 6 months from financial ruin, and almost none of us are 6 months from being millionaires."

Old 03-09-2024, 07:48 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I see a lot of bickering about things in the POC forum. I roll is that our destiny is ours, many don't, it's always some external event or reason why things are as such.

That's pretty black and white thinking. I agree that SOME people make a LOT of poor life choices, and they suffer for it, but there are also bad things that happen to people who don't necessarily make a lot of bad choices and they suffer too, through no fault of their own.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:07 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Internal/external locus of control basically. Overly simplistic to say that people who have an external locus of control are losers but they tend to have worse outcomes in life.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:34 AM

142 posts, read 83,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I recently saw a meme that was something like "almost all of us could be 6 months from financial ruin, and almost none of us are 6 months from being millionaires."
That meme was probably created by an unskilled, low wage worker.

Someone middle class with a decent job should have money saved/invested and not be literally 6 months away from financial ruin. Also, being a millionaire isn't that uncommon nowadays.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:36 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Relative to psychology (and this forum), unempathetic behavior is a red flag (as in calling those who are less fortunate in life ‘losers’). That said, bickering (or whining/blaming others) about one’s problems may be indicative of depression or other issues sans the awareness there are things one can do to improve their mental health. In fact, staying angry/depressed (the root of the bickering) will cause more problems eventually i.e. the breakdown of relationships, a desire to escape their feelings in unhealthy ways (drugs/alcohol) and so on.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:39 AM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
People here are critical of my thread and they are making good points. I was cranky when I started it.

Life isn't black and white, things do happen that are out of our control.

That said I still think some people are too quick to not take inventory of their own roles in situations at times.

Thank you posters for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology