Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

6,768 posts, read 3,030,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That seems a little arrogant. Like, you're visiting Ireland and you want to see Irish people, like in a zoo, despite others being in their country at their behest, that you don't want to see as a tourist.
That's not arrogance. That's sweet

I think you know exactly where they are coming from but feel the need to feign a 'matter of fact' repulsion to that expectation. We are not at a tea party social, no need for airs.

If I were on Hakata Island in Japan getting served sushi, you best believe my expectation would be the chefs were Japanese. But not if I were in Benihana in midtown NYC

If I am in the bowels of the Medieval Beefeaters Banquet in London I wanna see mostly pasty white English blokes and wenches clopping around.

Yes! I expect my vacations to exotic places to be classically themed like the World Showcase in Disney pre-1990s. I can't stand seeing KFCs and Wal Marts in China. A Starbucks in the Forbidden City?! Uggg,..

A Filipino pouring tea in Ireland isn't the end of the world, I admit. But as an Irish cultural Country, you don't wanna overdo it, imho. That's why illegal immigration, as per the thread title, is something nobody should feel ashamed of opposing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:31 AM

63,086 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
That's not arrogance. That's sweet

I think you know exactly where they are coming from but feel the need to feign a 'matter of fact' repulsion to that expectation. We are not at a tea party social, no need for airs.

If I were on Hakata Island in Japan getting served sushi, you best believe my expectation would be the chefs were Japanese. But not if I were in Benihana in midtown NYC

If I am in the bowels of the Medieval Beefeaters Banquet in London I wanna see mostly pasty white English blokes and wenches clopping around.

Yes! I expect my vacations to exotic places to be classically themed like the World Showcase in Disney pre-1990s. I can't stand seeing KFCs and Wal Marts in China. A Starbucks in the Forbidden City?! Uggg,..

A Filipino pouring tea in Ireland isn't the end of the world, I admit. But as an Irish cultural Country, you don't wanna overdo it, imho. That's why illegal immigration, as per the thread title, is something nobody should feel ashamed of opposing.
Thank you. Great post and I agree.

Old Today, 06:50 AM

8,002 posts, read 3,528,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You think voting is what’s driving the policy of open borders? Disagree.
Repubs often only pay lip service to border issues, that is true, but the current surge at our southern border is all on Biden and his puppet masters. He openly invited them to come before he was elected and people voted for him anyway, and will vote for him again this November, so yes people in the US are voting for it. I assume Ireland has an equivalent to Britain's Labour party(which openly embraces the agenda) but I admit I do not know for sure. Absent a Trump like figure they may be lacking any real opposition to the agenda though.

Old Today, 07:23 AM

24,598 posts, read 17,342,634 times
Quote:
That seems a little arrogant. Like, you're visiting Ireland and you want to see Irish people, like in a zoo, despite others being in their country at their behest, that you don't want to see as a tourist.

It's not arrogant at all. My wife is Irish and grew up there. She thinks it is sad when we go back to visit family that her little town has changed so much.

The same thing that is happening here is happening in Ireland and that is the citizens are being pushed aside in favor of Illegal Aliens "migrants". The elected are raising taxes, forcing citizens to work longer before they can retire while public services such as healthcare at Hospitals are being crowded and the services they offer stretched thin.

What is wrong about going someplace like Ireland, England, France, Europe in general and wanting and expecting to immersed in the culture of that country?

The ultimate issue with any of this mass migration, especially the Illegal type is that the people that are coming in do not want to immerse themselves into their adopted culture but they are carrying their own and often the very same problems that they are fleeing.
Gone are the days of the melting pot and it is a shame that we and other countries are losing their identities that make them special.

Old Today, 07:45 AM

4,324 posts, read 1,570,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

What is wrong about going someplace like Ireland, England, France, Europe in general and wanting and expecting to immersed in the culture of that country?
Because that culture may have changed over time? A culture is not a static thing. The current wave of mass immigration is changing cultures quickly, the same way waves of Saxons, Angles and Jutes and then the Normans 500 years later would have changed the culture of the Britons.

Just because you have an idealized impression of what the culture of Ireland should be, or perhaps has been historically, doesn't necessarily mean that it's accurate today. And I understand some people think that losing that cultural identity is sad, but they've never been static, however the rate of change is currently accelerating.

I suppose if you want an example of a country that almost completely lost it's real cultural identity due to an invading force, you don't need to look much further than your own backyard.

Old Today, 07:51 AM

Quote:
It's not arrogant at all! When I visit a foreign country I want to experience their culture and see their identifying demographics that go with it. There may be other cultures and people living there but that's not what I'm there for. I want what's authentic not some diversion from it.

Old Today, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Because that culture may have changed over time? A culture is not a static thing. The current wave of mass immigration is changing cultures quickly, the same way waves of Saxons, Angles and Jutes and then the Normans 500 years later would have changed the culture of the Britons.

Just because you have an idealized impression of what the culture of Ireland should be, or perhaps has been historically, doesn't necessarily mean that it's accurate today. And I understand some people think that losing that cultural identity is sad, but they've never been static, however the rate of change is currently accelerating.

I suppose if you want an example of a country that almost completely lost it's real cultural identity due to an invading force, you don't need to look much further than your own backyard.
The reason that those cultures have evolved and diluted is the objection.

Old Today, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not arrogant at all! When I visit a foreign country I want to experience their culture and see their identifying demographics that go with it. There may be other cultures and people living there but that's not what I'm there for. I want what's authentic not some diversion from it.
I wanted native American culture when I first visited the US. I got Disney world. I can see your grievances.

Old Today, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The reason that those cultures have evolved and diluted is the objection.
It's so strange to me that a country that welcomed so many into it's melting pot and turned itself into the greatest nation on earth objects to cultural diversity in other countries. The US powerhouse was built upon the backs of Irish, Italian, German, Scandinavian and the African diaspora.

Old Today, 07:58 AM

6,768 posts, read 3,030,809 times
Quote:
I wanted native American culture when I first visited the US. I got Disney world. I can see your grievances.
No you didn't, lol.

I get your point, but at best you'd probably expect cowboys and Indians and John Wayne.

Quote:
It's so strange to me that a country that welcomed so many into it's melting pot and turned itself into the greatest nation on earth objects to cultural diversity in other countries. The US powerhouse was built upon the backs of Irish, Italian, German, Scandinavian and the African diaspora.
I think the argument is nobody is 'melting' anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies