Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2021, 08:40 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,050,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You are completely wrong. There were a LOT of "yella" babies born on plantations, and even though their fathers were the white owners and their young sons, the mixed race children born to slave women were still slaves. There were NOT mixed race babies born to the wives and daughters of plantation owners.

You're honestly not dealing with a correct view here. This isn't opinion, and if you're interested, spend some time reading history.

My high school speech teacher, who would have been a young man in the 40's, said it was a right of passage for his peers to go across the tracks and rape a black girl. Although he maintains he never did, it was the norm and something to brag about.

This would have been near the Beaumont/Port Neches area, border of Texas and Louisiana.

And the murder rate, between black on white killings, and white on black killlings historically, isn't even in the ball park. It appears you might be looking at the last, say 20 years out of the last 400+, and thinking that paints a picture of the history of the US, when, in the last 20 years it's likely true there has been more black on white crime than vice versa.
I never head of anything like this in my life, and I'm sure most people who didn't live in the deep south ever did either. Your resentments are based on anecdotal instances you've learned from people around you. I don't know anyone who has raped a black woman, lynched a black man, beat up a black person because they were black...and I have a good friend who is black who has heard all of one racial slur in his life living in a predominately white area.

Apart from my black friend, I also have:

-a cousin who was jumped and beaten into the hospital by a group of blacks
-2 brothers who were both robbed violently by black men in NYC
-had hundreds of dollars stolen from me by a black man I hired against my own instincts because I thought I might be being racist.
-A group of Asian friends who were robbed violently by a group of black men in NYC
-A cousin who was a cop who was kicked in the head by a black man

I don't know, should those anecdotes shape how I feel about black people in general? You want to hold people accountable for what happened 40-100 years ago that they most likely took no part in. That is okay. That is what CRT/Anti-racism feels as well.

But if everyone in the country who isn't black sees young black men and assumes there's a decent chance they are a violent criminal, that is wrong? In the context of what you believe, no, it isn't wrong. We hold groups responsible for what those groups do. This is a slippery slope that is really stupid for black people to go down. You want to be judged as an individual when it comes to crime, but as a group when it comes to being a victim, but want to judge white people by their "group" exclusively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 08:41 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,150,448 times
Quote:
I'd be curious about what sources you're using for this information. This is a VERY VERY mild version of what actually happened, with a several block area being scorched to the dirt, and at least 100 people, possibly 300, killed and dumped in the river.

The "original" newspaper stories from the Tulsa World newspaper, are still available online, and tell a much more horrible story.

Photographs of blocks and blocks, burned to the dirt, don't lie.
The original story is exactly what I posted.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,657 posts, read 18,021,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The original story is exactly what I posted.
I don't believe you posted a link?

Old 06-01-2021, 08:43 PM

929 posts, read 305,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
If you so much as question the legislation Biden wants to pass, then you are justifying the murder of innocent black people in the name of white supremacy.

Exactly, the insincerity of it all. Suddenly now there is some kind of fervor for the Tulsa race riots. Let’s see I remember the 1980s, 90s, 2000s, and nobody cared about it. It was around all that time and you could read about it anytime you wanted to. Why weren’t Democrats memorializing it all that time?

It’s as if some political strategist combed through history and said, wow we could really use this event to push some legislation through. If you don’t like the legislation we can just call you a racist.

I’m conservative and don’t care about confederate statues. I think the problem was how they were torn down. A group of people don’t like something and so they get a big mob and just tear down stuff they don’t like. Sure, if the mob is supporting something you like, it might sound great. If the mob doesn’t support your agenda (Jan. 6th), then it doesn’t sound quite as good. And the mobs didn’t stop at confederate statues.

I have no problem “dredging†up the past. The problem I have is when it comes with legislation and a political agenda. We just had some race riots last summer and Dems didn’t seem to have a problem with it back then. The skyrocketing homicide rates among black Americans doesn’t seem to bother them either. If it can’t be used for a political purpose, then Democrats don’t really care about riots or black people getting killed.

I don’t know if those on the left really believe their politicians suddenly care about an event from 100 years ago when they never so much as mentioned it before just a couple years ago or if they know the game they’re playing and just going along with it.

You are correct, it is a strategy. Their mouthpieces like CNN have their website chock full of stories about Race inequality , the wealth gap , and what Biden can do .
They are purposely driving the racial division in this country. It is obvious and dangerous.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:50 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
lol @ "black wall street".
Why would you laugh at that. This was the most affluent black community in the country

Old 06-01-2021, 08:51 PM

17,452 posts, read 14,691,657 times
Quote:
"Rich" is a fluctuating term. Linda Tirado, in her book, "Hand to Mouth" defined "rich" this way. If your car breaks down and you immediately have resources to fix it and get other transportation in the meantime, you're "rich". If when your car breaks down you're now without transportation for the foreseeable future, you're "poor".

Maybe that's the standard you're using? People who can repair broken cars immediately are rich, vs. people who are now without transportation are poor?

If you had a maid in the 60's, in Jackson Mississippi, you weren't rich. You were middle class.
You are clueless.

And I don't mean that in a derogatory way ... you really don't get it. And it's tainting the entire way you look at things.

To you, that's a solidly middle class way of life.

But to most people, the closest they've ever been to a maid was either Alice or Florence on tv.

I would guess that you think that most people, most white people, have had a similar experience to you. And that's why you believe that if just white people atoned for their sins, we could move past this.

But there's a large segment of white people who think you're crazy - because, 1, they know they're not personally responsible for all the sins of the past and 2, they are having a hard enough time stretching that paycheck week to week and just trying to keep the lights on to worry about you demanding an apology.

And here you are, talking about how so many of your friends have had maids and you can't figure out why white people have such a hard time taking responsibility for the sins that happened WAY before any of us were alive.

You can't grasp why they're having such a hard time with it - just like most people can't fathom having a domestic servant.

You are living in an entirely different reality.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would you laugh at that. This was the most affluent black community in the country
I agree. This was a successful, thriving black community with houses of varying sizes and value, and successful businesses involving several city blocks. Burned down to the ground in one night.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You are clueless.

And I don't mean that in a derogatory way ... you really don't get it. And it's tainting the entire way you look at things.

To you, that's a solidly middle class way of life.

But to most people, the closest they've ever been to a maid was either Alice or Florence on tv.

I would guess that you think that most people, most white people, have had a similar experience to you. And that's why you believe that if just white people atoned for their sins, we could move past this.

But there's a large segment of white people who think you're crazy - because, 1, they know they're not personally responsible for all the sins of the past and 2, they are having a hard enough time stretching that paycheck week to week and just trying to keep the lights on to worry about you demanding an apology.

And here you are, talking about how so many of your friends have had maids and you can't figure out why white people have such a hard time taking responsibility for the sins that happened WAY before any of us were alive.

You can't grasp why they're having such a hard time with it - just like most people can't fathom having a domestic servant.

You are living in an entirely different reality.
YOU are clueless as to the southern history, and the difficulties black people have suffered for 400 years at the hands of white people.

And I'm done responding to you in this thread.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:55 PM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1398647829225160707

I'm surprised a conservative newspaper would run this story. Are white people jealous of successful blacks, and why hasn't there been another successful black neighborhood since?

Of course White Americans shouldn't be jealous of successful blacks, browns or any other American of any color. I'm sure that there are some bigoted people out there that are jealous

Remember this was 100 years ago and the KKK (mostly Democrats at the time) was heavily involved in Oklahoma

What bothers me most is that, with a great education in excellent schools over 50 years ago, I have never heard of this until this year.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:58 PM

17,452 posts, read 14,691,657 times
Quote:
YOU are clueless as to the southern history, and the difficulties black people have suffered for 400 years at the hands of white people.

And I'm done responding to you in this thread.
lol ... no I'm not. I understand fully what the history is.

But I guess I hit a little close too home, eh? You think the entire white experience is what YOU experienced or what those friends with maids experienced.

It's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies