Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 04:26 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,398,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Great post, but I'm pretty sure CA liberals are immune to facts, logic, and common sense.
Part of the reason I am leaving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 04:27 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,919,497 times
Most of the homeless I see out here are white.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:30 PM

8,363 posts, read 2,986,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Not many people give them money where I live mostly the churches are feeding them two meals a day they even deliver it to them, they don't even have to get up and walk.
I just moved from the Antelope Valley. Everywhere you go they would ask me for spare change. These weren’t even homeless. Just guys making a living asking for money. I would tell them the local churches would feed them. They would blow me off. Plenty of scams. I need money for gas. I need to get home. Heard that one 20 times. Once at a liquor store with a gas station right across the street. She had a gas can I sAid go right there across the street and someone might fill up your can. She was pissed. She only wanted money for booze.

I was watching a special on these guys. One guy interviewed said he made $45k tax free simply asking for money.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:32 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,134,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Trump is proposing internment camps for homeless basically. He would have to force people to go--that seems somewhat unconstitutional.

Next--who is going to pay to support the homeless in institutional settings? The government? Us?

And how very unproductive to shuffle people around. Some are mentally ill. Some are drug-addicted. Some are vets with PTSD. And Trump would like to simply move them into buildings together? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I think that Trump attacked SF because the day before they declared the NRA a terrorist organization. This is the immature response and that is what this is about. Petty, immature tit for tat.

This is as bad an idea as 'raking' to solve the forest fire problem. But then again, this admin does not seem to come up with any good ideas. Or any ideas.
They are vagrants. They pay no taxes and sap resources provided by the productive. They have little say in the matter.

Move `em out!

Old 09-11-2019, 04:33 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,919,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I just moved from the Antelope Valley. Everywhere you go they would ask me for spare change. These weren’t even homeless. Just guys making a living asking for money. I would tell them the local churches would feed them. They would blow me off. Plenty of scams. I need money for gas. I need to get home. Heard that one 20 times. Once at a liquor store with a gas station right across the street. She had a gas can I sAid go right there across the street and someone might fill up your can. She was pissed. She only wanted money for booze.
It's getting out of hand one of them took a dump right in front of my wife's business outside of the window while she was meeting with a business customer. Pulled down his pants pooped in the parking lot then proceeded to pull his business out pee and then sat under the tree on the manicured lawn.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:34 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,254,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Without CA, the US would be much less of a welfare state - CA, with about 12% of the population, has over 30% of the welfare recipients in the US. There is little incentive in CA to get off welfare - in CA you can make more in benefits than someone who earns $15/hr.

Much of the assistance in CA goes to immigrants also - part of the issue of illegals coming into the US and CA in particular.
https://www.politifact.com/californi...welfare-s-exa/

This is a feature, not a bug. This is how this country works. CA imports the poor and exports the middle class/rich to other states.

Immigrants (and low income citizens) come here and get opportunities to move up economic ladder. Opportunities that they wouldn't get in poor red states. The Economist have cited studies that show the poor is not static - they get richer, get out of poverty, and their spots are filled by other poor that moves to the state.

That's how the system works. We turn poor into non-poor (at least for a reasonable number of them). Without CA, the red states will get stuck with perpetual sameness. States like Texas, Arizona, etc; would be stuck without the Californians moving there.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:35 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,398,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This is a feature, not a bug. This is how this country works. CA imports the poor and exports the middle class/rich to other states.

Immigrants (and low income citizens) come here and get opportunities to move up economic ladder. Opportunities that they wouldn't get in poor red states. The Economist have cited studies that show the poor is not static - they get richer, get out of poverty, and their spots are filled by other poor that moves to the state.

That's how the system works. We turn poor into non-poor (at least for a reasonable number of them). Without CA, the red states will get stuck with perpetual sameness. States like Texas, Arizona, etc; would be stuck without the Californians moving there.
I don't know what you mean by "stuck perpetual sameness"- like it is bad - TX has the biggest growth in population in the country currently. CA loses about 1M population a year

This is not how this country works - you make it seem like the poor illegals come in and move to middle class and then move elsewhere. The poor illegals are not moving up in status or anywhere else in the country.

What is happening is the middle class citizens are moving out because they are finding better opportunities elsewhere - CA has a net Domestic loss between 2010 and 2017 of over half a million, but an increase in population of about 2M so about 2.5M immigrants added.

The state is becoming more 3rd world with very poor and very wealthy and the middle class is shrinking because of policies to help the poor being supported by high taxes on the middle (and upper) classes. In CA, the 8% tax bracket starts at $44,378K taxable income and 9.3% starts at $56,086 for single - in NY, you have to be over $1M taxable to be at those rates, in IL, you can never hit those rates.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html
Quote:
Low-income folks moved out, high-income folks moved in
People making $55,000 or less a year were mostly moving out of California between 2007 and 2016, the report found, while people making more than $200,000 a year moved in. More of those residents with lower income were moving to states like Texas, Nevada and Arizona. And more of those with higher incomes were coming into California from states like New York, Illinois, and New Jersey.

Last edited by ddeemo; 09-11-2019 at 06:45 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 07:51 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,757,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
LOL California has the 5th largest economy in the world. Without California the U.S. would be a welfare state.
1/5 of Californians live in poverty and 1/3 are on some form of welfare.

It's great for filthy rich people or for those who bought real estate back in the 70s or 80s when prices were next to nothing.

But it sucks for middle class, business owners, homeowners, renters, etc....

Old 09-11-2019, 07:55 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,757,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I don't know what you mean by "stuck perpetual sameness"- like it is bad - TX has the biggest growth in population in the country currently. CA loses about 1M population a year

This is not how this country works - you make it seem like the poor illegals come in and move to middle class and then move elsewhere. The poor illegals are not moving up in status or anywhere else in the country.

What is happening is the middle class citizens are moving out because they are finding better opportunities elsewhere - CA has a net Domestic loss between 2010 and 2017 of over half a million, but an increase in population of about 2M so about 2.5M immigrants added.

The state is becoming more 3rd world with very poor and very wealthy and the middle class is shrinking because of policies to help the poor being supported by high taxes on the middle (and upper) classes. In CA, the 8% tax bracket starts at $44,378K taxable income and 9.3% starts at $56,086 for single - in NY, you have to be over $1M taxable to be at those rates, in IL, you can never hit those rates.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html
You mean, wealthy investors from other countries have moved into the bay area and bought up housing.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,428,206 times
Is there some way we can like put a shock collar on all of the people in Mexifornica? If they try to leave and infest someplace else they will get a severe shock.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies