Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:58 PM

275 posts, read 708,468 times

Advertisements

If you are going to try and get this shot, please, please please use a tripod-- don't know if you were or not, but that is just a standard with night shots and I'm often amazed at how many people DO NOT use one. If you have a wireless remote trigger, use it to reduce shake and blur with your long exposure. (If you don't have one, they are wicked cheap on ebay, and work quite well, I have a few myself!).

Long exposure, try a higher ISO and whoever said HDR hit the nail on the head.

For HDR, take several photos of the same set up at differing ISO's, different speeds, etc...

Combine them all in bridge and it will balance them out and create a more middle ground image. You will have your highlights, darks and midtones without being too blown out or without having to mess with your curves and layers.

I'd have to see what the speed is you have it set on, but I think you can really experiment with this shot and learn a lot about your camera! Long exposure shots can produce some amazing images.

If you use a remote flash, you have to be careful about the distance between you and the cross. If it is too high up, you'll not be affecting it, if you are too close, it will bounce off the metal structure it is hanging on.

Try a few different things. Mess around and experiment... you will get the shot you want and you'll be proud you worked it out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,900,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
If you are going to try and get this shot, please, please please use a tripod-- don't know if you were or not, but that is just a standard with night shots and I'm often amazed at how many people DO NOT use one. If you have a wireless remote trigger, use it to reduce shake and blur with your long exposure. (If you don't have one, they are wicked cheap on ebay, and work quite well, I have a few myself!).

Long exposure, try a higher ISO and whoever said HDR hit the nail on the head.

For HDR, take several photos of the same set up at differing ISO's, different speeds, etc...

Combine them all in bridge and it will balance them out and create a more middle ground image. You will have your highlights, darks and midtones without being too blown out or without having to mess with your curves and layers.

I'd have to see what the speed is you have it set on, but I think you can really experiment with this shot and learn a lot about your camera! Long exposure shots can produce some amazing images.

If you use a remote flash, you have to be careful about the distance between you and the cross. If it is too high up, you'll not be affecting it, if you are too close, it will bounce off the metal structure it is hanging on.

Try a few different things. Mess around and experiment... you will get the shot you want and you'll be proud you worked it out!

I am using a tripod (on the night shots) and usually use the timer function since I don't have a wireless trigger....can you recommend a wireless trigger? I don't even know how to shop for one.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,914,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I am using a tripod (on the night shots) and usually use the timer function since I don't have a wireless trigger....can you recommend a wireless trigger? I don't even know how to shop for one.

Here you go Alpha! I'm also in the market for one and I think I'll get this brand over the ones in eBay. The ones in eBay cost about the same but shipping from China is about $19...just adds on the cost unnecessarily IMO. These are only $29+.

Gadget Infinity*::*Search results

Old 05-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Here you go Alpha! I'm also in the market for one and I think I'll get this brand over the ones in eBay. The ones in eBay cost about the same but shipping from China is about $19...just adds on the cost unnecessarily IMO. These are only $29+.

Gadget Infinity*::*Search results
bibit,

when I click that link I get filters and such...can you mine out an actual item number for me so I can pick what you suggest?

Also, does camera make and model matter?

I've got a Canon Rebel Xi.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:46 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,119,887 times
Quote:
bibit,

when I click that link I get filters and such...can you mine out an actual item number for me so I can pick what you suggest?

Also, does camera make and model matter?

I've got a Canon Rebel Xi.
I am not bibit, not to step on toes, but I utilize two remotes for my Canon XTi and they can be found here:

First one is the wireless remote - graaaaaaand for those minus 30º nights trying to shoot Aurora Borealis
2465A001 Canon RC-1 Wireless Remote Controller for EOS Elan-II/IIE, Elan-7/7E/7N/7NE, Elan, Rebel Ti (Date Version Only), IX, EOS-10 & Digital Rebel

And the wired remote which serves well for when I am with the camera shooting whatever. When I use either remote, the camera is always on a tripod:
DL1480P Adorama Digital Remote Release with 36" Cable for Canon EOS Rebel XT/XTi/XSi/T1i Digital Cameras (2.5 Mini Plug)

Both remotes I would recommend and the prices are very fair.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
I am not bibit, not to step on toes, but I utilize two remotes for my Canon XTi and they can be found here:

First one is the wireless remote - graaaaaaand for those minus 30º nights trying to shoot Aurora Borealis
2465A001 Canon RC-1 Wireless Remote Controller for EOS Elan-II/IIE, Elan-7/7E/7N/7NE, Elan, Rebel Ti (Date Version Only), IX, EOS-10 & Digital Rebel

And the wired remote which serves well for when I am with the camera shooting whatever. When I use either remote, the camera is always on a tripod:
DL1480P Adorama Digital Remote Release with 36" Cable for Canon EOS Rebel XT/XTi/XSi/T1i Digital Cameras (2.5 Mini Plug)

Both remotes I would recommend and the prices are very fair.
Thanks for the info! (I already ordered bibit's suggestion but I guess if that one doesn't cut the mustard, I'll try yours!)

One thing's for sure, you take some AMAZING pictures!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:54 PM

Alpha, I followed your lead and ordered one for my Panasonic tonight. I thought the Brits are a better source than the China dealers on eBay. Highlandlady, the ones Alpha and I ordered are not infrared...they operate on radio frequency and has 16 channels. I think that the difference is that the transmitter does not need to "see" the receiver, its range is 15 meters, and the 16 channel frequency allows you to be within range of other photographers with RF remote shutter releases and you would not be accidentally tripping each other's shutters.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Alpha, I followed your lead and ordered one for my Panasonic tonight. I thought the Brits are a better source than the China dealers on eBay. Highlandlady, the ones Alpha and I ordered are not infrared...they operate on radio frequency and has 16 channels. I think that the difference is that the transmitter does not need to "see" the receiver, its range is 15 meters, and the 16 channel frequency allows you to be within range of other photographers with RF remote shutter releases and you would not be accidentally tripping each other's shutters.
I've really been needing one of those because right now I use a cheap tripod and almost always use the self timer to help minimize shake.

Back to the topic at hand:

Would it make more sense to try this shoot during a full moon?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 PM

I was reading up on night photography in the latest edition of Popular Photography. Supposedly there's that magic 15 minutes at sunset just before the sun goes down and its completely dark that is the best for night photography and bright lights. Being that the window of opportunity is short, you have to be quick. The author suggested setting your WB to tungsten. Somebody jump in here and stop me from making a fool of myself but it said something about the light being tungsten anyhow. kdog...what say you?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,119,887 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info! (I already ordered bibit's suggestion but I guess if that one doesn't cut the mustard, I'll try yours!)

One thing's for sure, you take some AMAZING pictures!
Oh, why thank you!!

Quote:
And thank you as well...I may have to place an order for a new remote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography