Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Yeah, I looked into this a while ago. I believe with my SL1 I'd have to go into the menu and tell it which focus point to use in advance. Then if I want to change it, I'd have to go back into the menu. I'll double check when I have more time though.
Don't worry so much about manually selecting autofocus points; instead, set the camera to Continuous Autofocus and allow the camera to select the autofocus points automatically. Then use the optical viewfinder, not the LCD panel. I think you'll be impressed with the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 10:03 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Don't worry so much about manually selecting autofocus points; instead, set the camera to Continuous Autofocus and allow the camera to select the autofocus points automatically. Then use the optical viewfinder, not the LCD panel. I think you'll be impressed with the results.
Will it specifically make sure the pet's eyes are tack sharp? I'll give it a try. I'm usually shooting around f 2.8 and I want the focus to be exact.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:22 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
With any camera being used, all depends on what you want in focus. For example, if you want a specific point in the frame in focus, moving the focus point to that location will focus on that spot. Lets say that I am taking a photo of a group of people that are relatively close to me, but want primarily one person's face in focus. In this case I move the focus point to that person's face.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-28-2017 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 02:28 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
I use most my iphone 6S and also a Sony RX-100 which is quite portable and has some zoom, higher res and a bigger sensor. It's a good compromise.

I have an SL1 with a zoom on it but I use it less and less.

Turkey and deer are with SL1

Bird and Turtle are Sony RX-100

I may get rid of the SL1 and get a new Sony (upgrade of same model or similar)
Attached Thumbnails
Comparing Cell Phone and DSLR Cameras-img_3590.jpg   Comparing Cell Phone and DSLR Cameras-img_3619.jpg   Comparing Cell Phone and DSLR Cameras-dsc00730.jpg  

Old 07-28-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
With any camera being used, all depends on what you want in focus. For example, if you want a specific point in the frame in focus, moving the focus point to that location will focus on that spot. Lets say that I am taking a photo of a group of people that are relatively close to me, but want primarily one person's face in focus. In this case I move the focus point to that person's face.
How are you moving the focus point though? Are you touching the LCD preview screen? Or going through the menu on your camera to adjust the autofocus point?

Old 07-28-2017, 03:13 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
This might come off as a bit condescending, so apologies for that - it's not intended. Someone who doesn't know how to get the most out of their DSLR will likely get better results with a nice cell phone camera. The cell phone camera is designed to be used by a person who has never even picked up such a device before. It's very robust, and designed to get "good enough" results very consistently in average conditions. A DSLR, even a simpler one, relies on affordances that date back to film camera days, and requires mindful use of the various settings - you have the freedom to perfect your shots, which alas, also allows the freedom to bugger up your shots. However, a fairly modest investment in practice, time, and research can produce a huge improvement very quickly with the DSLR. I recently taught a photography class and I was amazed how many people who considered themselves enthusiastic amateurs with many years of shooting DSLR didn't know things as fundamental as aperture and why you'd want to control it, let alone their devices' more subtle features.

I think most people who are undersatisfied with their DSLR are probably using an unsuitable lens for what they want to do, too.

SL1 vs Galaxy 7 isn't really a fair comparison, though. That's like comparing the lowest-end bare-bones package Beemer to the highest-end deluxe package Ford and deciding BMWs are overrrated, you know?

Old 07-28-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I use most my iphone 6S and also a Sony RX-100 which is quite portable and has some zoom, higher res and a bigger sensor. It's a good compromise.

I have an SL1 with a zoom on it but I use it less and less.

Turkey and deer are with SL1

Bird and Turtle are Sony RX-100

I may get rid of the SL1 and get a new Sony (upgrade of same model or similar)
Really the only advantage of the SL1 over the Sony is the ability to use interchangeable lenses. The RX-100 has some great specs but I see that it has only 3.6x optical zoom. I'd never want to be limited to that but I guess it depends on what you want to shoot.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
This might come off as a bit condescending, so apologies for that - it's not intended. Someone who doesn't know how to get the most out of their DSLR will likely get better results with a nice cell phone camera. The cell phone camera is designed to be used by a person who has never even picked up such a device before. It's very robust, and designed to get "good enough" results very consistently in average conditions. A DSLR, even a simpler one, relies on affordances that date back to film camera days, and requires mindful use of the various settings - you have the freedom to perfect your shots, which alas, also allows the freedom to bugger up your shots. However, a fairly modest investment in practice, time, and research can produce a huge improvement very quickly with the DSLR. I recently taught a photography class and I was amazed how many people who considered themselves enthusiastic amateurs with many years of shooting DSLR didn't know things as fundamental as aperture and why you'd want to control it, let alone their devices' more subtle features.

I think most people who are undersatisfied with their DSLR are probably using an unsuitable lens for what they want to do, too.

SL1 vs Galaxy 7 isn't really a fair comparison, though. That's like comparing the lowest-end bare-bones package Beemer to the highest-end deluxe package Ford and deciding BMWs are overrrated, you know?
Oh I definitely am comfortable shooting manual mode and have read a fair amount. There are some things like the optical view finder that I've just lazily never explored though. In broad daylight, though, I do not think any one - no matter how great a professional they are - can get as good an unedited landscape photo with a DSLR (at least not an entry level one - that's all I've used) as they can with with a Galaxy S7. If they have a more specific purpose that the Galaxy isn't good at (zooming, bokeh, heavy post-processing using computer software), that's another story.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

Oh I definitely am comfortable shooting manual mode and have read a fair amount. There are some things like the optical view finder that I've just lazily not explored much. In broad daylight, I do not think any one - no matter how great a professional they are - can get as good an unedited landscape photo with a DSLR (at least not an entry level one - that's all I've used) as they can with with a Galaxy S7. The cell phone produces unedited images with better contrast and saturation. If they have a more specific purpose that the Galaxy isn't good at (zooming, bokeh, heavy post-processing using computer software, low-light shooting), the DSLR has a big edge. If you want to post some outstanding unedited DSLR pictures, I will revise my view though.

I don't think of the cell phone as designed for someone without DSLR experience. It's designed to be a great camera that you always have with you and that offers different strengths than a DSLR in my opinion.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:27 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Oh I definitely am comfortable shooting manual mode and have read a fair amount. There are some things like the optical view finder that I've just lazily never explored though. In broad daylight, though, I do not think any one - no matter how great a professional they are - can get as good an unedited landscape photo with a DSLR (at least not an entry level one - that's all I've used) as they can with with a Galaxy S7. If they have a more specific purpose that the Galaxy isn't good at (zooming, bokeh, heavy post-processing using computer software), that's another story.
I have a Galaxy 7. I have definitely gotten better straight-out-of-camera landscape shots from my DSLR (with a suitable lens) than I have from my cell phone. The difference in image quality alone is enough to make me prefer the DSLR, but it also handles dynamic range issues better, and the color fidelity and sharpness is significantly better, among other factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography