Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

DSLRs blow cellphone cameras away in so many levels. Cellphone cameras can not even get close to a DSLR at this very moment. The image quality of DSLRs are out of this world at the moment thanks to optics which cellphones do not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 05:01 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I'm pretty sure the issue is just that the lag time on the optical view finder screen is worse than my Galaxy's electronic view finder screen.
The optical viewfinder on a DSLR is just that: a glass window that you look through with your eye that allows you to see directly through the camera lens. There IS no lag time. Are you referring to the screen on the back of the camera? That's not the viewfinder, and like any electronic screen it will have some lag time.

A DSLR is meant to be held up to your eye so you can see through the lens. You don't look at the back screen to focus, frame, and shoot (except under certain very special situations such as astrophotography or macro photography).

Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Comparing Cell Phone and DSLR Cameras

Your thoughts?
I'll take my 5D Martk III over my iPhone 6+ any day of the week for photos.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:14 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The optical viewfinder on a DSLR is just that: a glass window that you look through with your eye that allows you to see directly through the camera lens. There IS no lag time. Are you referring to the screen on the back of the camera? That's not the viewfinder, and like any electronic screen it will have some lag time.

A DSLR is meant to be held up to your eye so you can see through the lens. You don't look at the back screen to focus, frame, and shoot (except under certain very special situations such as astrophotography or macro photography).
Oh yes, I used the terminology wrong. I meant the screen on the back of the camera. I use that for composing the shot. I will try the optical viewfinder instead. Thanks. I'm definitely learning a lot.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:56 AM

295 posts, read 353,955 times
Quote:
Oh yes, I used the terminology wrong. I meant the screen on the back of the camera. I use that for composing the shot. I will try the optical viewfinder instead. Thanks. I'm definitely learning a lot.
The reason you'd want to stick with the optical view finder (OVF) as much as possible on dslrs is because the light entering the lens gets reflected onto the autofocus module that greatly assists in autofocus speed and accuracy. When you're using the rear lcd you go into Live View mode where the camera will lock the mirror up and thus bypass the AF module. Light hits the sensor directly and it's up to the sensor to do the focusing. In older dslrs (even on some of the recent entry models) this was painfully slow but the newer Canon dslrs now have their Dual Pixel technology in the sensor that has greatly improved the AF in Live View (Not sure if Nikon has anything similar). Still not as fast as the on-sensor phase detection in many of the mirrorless cameras but much better than ones without it.

If you enjoy using the rear lcd more to compose then a mirrorless camera might be better suited for you. There's no mirror so you don't get penalize in AF speed by whatever method you choose to use. I have mine where the rear lcd is constantly on for times when I just want to point and shoot with the lcd. When I want better stability I'll bring the camera up to my eye and use the electronic view finder (EVF).

Old 07-27-2017, 09:37 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
My Galaxy S8 takes decent pictures. Good for desktop backgrounds and whatnot, and it's often the camera I "have with me". But for when we're out and about? I have a G7X Mk. II for that. When I want to get serious I carry the D750 around. Those two cameras are so far ahead of what the Galaxy can do it's not even funny.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:31 AM

I tried turning off the LCD preview screen and using the optical view finder. Wow, the camera is lightning fast! However, it seems I can't tell autofocus what specific point to focus on. Is that correct? I do a lot of pet photography, which requires capturing specific moments instantly. I can't tell a dog to hold a pose while I manually focus. With the LCD screen, I just tap on the screen where I want the focus point to be. Can this be done somehow with the optical viewfinder? Maybe I should look into mirrorless. Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
The reason you'd want to stick with the optical view finder (OVF) as much as possible on dslrs is because the light entering the lens gets reflected onto the autofocus module that greatly assists in autofocus speed and accuracy. When you're using the rear lcd you go into Live View mode where the camera will lock the mirror up and thus bypass the AF module. Light hits the sensor directly and it's up to the sensor to do the focusing. In older dslrs (even on some of the recent entry models) this was painfully slow but the newer Canon dslrs now have their Dual Pixel technology in the sensor that has greatly improved the AF in Live View (Not sure if Nikon has anything similar). Still not as fast as the on-sensor phase detection in many of the mirrorless cameras but much better than ones without it.

If you enjoy using the rear lcd more to compose then a mirrorless camera might be better suited for you. There's no mirror so you don't get penalize in AF speed by whatever method you choose to use. I have mine where the rear lcd is constantly on for times when I just want to point and shoot with the lcd. When I want better stability I'll bring the camera up to my eye and use the electronic view finder (EVF).

Old 07-28-2017, 06:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
I tried turning off the LCD preview screen and using the optical view finder. Wow, the camera is lightning fast! However, it seems I can't tell autofocus what specific point to focus on. Is that correct? I do a lot of pet photography, which requires capturing specific moments instantly. I can't tell a dog to hold a pose while I manually focus. With the LCD screen, I just tap on the screen where I want the focus point to be. Can this be done somehow with the optical viewfinder? Maybe I should look into mirrorless. Thanks so much.
There are normally "focus points" visible in the viewfinder depending on what camera you have and what mode you are in.

I also do a lot of pet photography and can focus much faster and more efficiently looking through the viewfinder. I use the Canon T3i DSLR...

Canon's page: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...inder-shooting

Old 07-28-2017, 07:10 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
My wife and I both have Nice Nikons that we use in our real estate business and for fun but lately she has been using her phone more and more and I hate to say it but the photos from it are amazing. It is a Samsung S7 edge. The camera was one of the reasons she picked it.
Of course a client is more impressed when I bring my camera bag of goodies and tripod then if I just whipped out a cell phone. It does look more professional but the cell phone takes a better brighter photo without editing.

It is amazing.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife and I both have Nice Nikons that we use in our real estate business and for fun but lately she has been using her phone more and more and I hate to say it but the photos from it are amazing. It is a Samsung S7 edge. The camera was one of the reasons she picked it.
Of course a client is more impressed when I bring my camera bag of goodies and tripod then if I just whipped out a cell phone. It does look more professional but the cell phone takes a better brighter photo without editing.

It is amazing.
Yes, I would say unedited Galaxy S7 pics look better than my unedited SL1 pics under most circumstances (and assuming the picture won't be blow up to like 3 feet by 4 feet). That's not the case if I want good bokeh, want to be able to zoom in on something far away, or am shooting in very low light, though. With editing in Lightroom, I can usually push an SL1 image much further though. But if I am shooting in broad daylight and just want a nice landscape photo, I think it's incredible what the S7 can do.

Last edited by PGH423; 07-28-2017 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography